• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hutch manufacturers

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
I'm gonna revamp the RR hutch page and offer free advertising to hutch manufacturers in exchange for them agreeing to some guidelines on the hutches they sell. What do you think those guidelines should be?

Tam

:lol: Yep but a bit more specific ;) Should they be allowed to sell 4' as a rabbit hutch, if not was if it has a attached run or is double height? What are the minimums and what's a simple was to explain them whenhutches can be odd shapes??

My o/h Neil makes and sells hutches in his spare time, he is very safety aware and can't stand to see a bun in a hutch that is too small.
His basic rules are:

* Minimum size to be 6x2x2
* Frame work should be at least 32mm x 32mm
* Floors should be a least 6mm thick
* Any interior frame work should be angled so bun can't chew it
* Sides and back of hutch should be at least 10mm thick
* All hutches must have a 'sleeping compartment'
* All screws are to be made from brass
* Bolts on every door
* Security panels should be available for every door unless it's to be covered by a run
* All wood treatment should be pet safe

He refuses to make a hutch unless the customer can't/won't agree to these terms, it sounds harsh but he has the buns welfare at heart

Tam, I agree with the post above.

I was chattign to David@pethouse yesterday and he is starting to make even larger hutches :)

If this includes runs, can you say for the height to be more. So many runs I see, both in shops and online, are fine in length and width but only about 20 inches high. It would only take a bit more wood and mesh to make them taller so the bunnies have more space to stand up.

To call anything a rabbit hutch it ought to be at least 2ft deep and 2ft high so that would be place to start. I'd like to see them only make 6ft ones but that might be asking too much straight away :? 4ft by 2ft is the min decent size for guineas so if they made that their smallest size it would be good :thumb:

Would people consider the 4 foot x 2 foot double storey which are a total of 4 foot high acceptable for smaller buns. Again with similiar guidelines to what animusuk was describing. The 5 foot double storey ones I am about to change my hutches to, they would definately would be acceptable.

I pretty much agee with animusuk's list apart from this one:

animusuk said:
* Security panels should be available for every door unless it's to be covered by a run

I think there are plenty of ways of ensuring the animals safety, and am worried that security panels might be too prescriptive. There are lots of good sturdy hutches out there which are fine without a door security panel. I would prefer to see a minimum mesh type and fixing specified.

I'm not sure about the double storey 4*2*2 - I know some people here use them (especially the PAH thistle hall one) but would advertising it as a rabbit hutch still give the wrong impression about the space needed, especially for bigger buns (and who defines 'big' or 'small'). I seem to recall someone saying they blocked up the hole and had a french lop in each layer of one of those 4*2*2 ones and I'd be concerned that it would be too easy for this to happen.

AlisonA said:
I pretty much agee with animusuk's list apart from this one:

animusuk said:

I think there are plenty of ways of ensuring the animals safety, and am worried that security panels might be too prescriptive. There are lots of good sturdy hutches out there which are fine without a door security panel. I would prefer to see a minimum mesh type and fixing specified.

Sorry Alison, I agree with what you say :) This is more of an advisory guideline he uses, he does make them without that option in which case he uses a sturdier mesh.

As for the mesh, he uses a 1.5mm thick mesh which has 10mm x 10mm squares (sorry, unsure of the right terms) and it is always galvanised

I think 4'x2' two storey is okay. I mean you have to let the owners shoulder some responsibility. We can't stop them sticking a fench lop in a 5'x2' hutch but the hutch manufacturers can't be responsible for that. also we might want to build things up gradually. Maybe have star spots or similar for manufacturer with hutches that beat the minimum.

Personally I wouldn't object too much to a 4'x2' hutch if it was perminantly attached to a really big run either.

It's kind of hard to set simple rules :?

Okay how about these....

If the hutch isn't attached to a run what's the minimum floor area?

e.g. minimum 10' square (5'x2') with each level (if it's split) not to be shorter than 4' (so no 3' hutches).

If the hutch is perminatly attached to a run the minimum floor area?

e.g. minimum 8' square (4'x2') with each level (if split) not to be shorter than 4'.

Or do you think the with run should be minimum of 5' too :? I would be okay with 4' if the run was really big but then some homecheckers might not be :?

How about runs, whats the min size for them?

What other rules should there be e.g.

They must state next to any hutch they sell smaller than the minimum 'unsuitable for rabbits'.

I think your O/H's rules animusuk I think weld mesh not chicken wire and bolts not twists should be included.

Maybe we could have a minimum and then stars or something if you meet the extra rules and they go at the top of the page.

Tam

Hi Tamsin, I've been looking for a good double hutch and I found a double 4x2x2 hutch on ebay that looks well made and at a good price. I emailed the seller and asked if he could give a price for a 5x2x2. I got his reply and thought you might be interested in it:

"Hi thanks for your question. Yes we make hutches of all sizes and we also make some 5ft long. However we do not make a 5ft x 2ft x2ft as standard so consequently it would be expensive. I do know about the RSPCA recommendations but for transport packaging etc. it is just not practicle. Speaking to Rabbit breaders and experts They all agree that our 4ft x 2ft x2ft is large enough, it certainly is the largest standard hutch on the market. I would recommend a run to complement the hutch as this then gives bun ample room for exercise"

I know some people have been having trouble with damage on delivery of the bigger happy hutch ones, so thought it interesting he cited this as one problem.

Yes, both my 6ft hutch and my 6ft run arrived with some damage. The packaging just doesn't protect them enough from those brutal people working for the courier companies. :lol: It doesn't take much to protect the hutch/run a bit better, even if it produces more rubbish. Or they'd have to find a courier for breakable goods.

Minimum size for a run should be 6 ft by 3 ft by 20", but higher for big rabbits.

It would be good if the manufacturers used screws instead of staples for building the walls.

My interpretation of the RSPCA hutch size is 6ft by 6ft by 3ft tall. They say it must be attached to a 6ft hutch so I think it follows that the missing dimension is the hutch width. I know 3ft tall is the proper height.

Back