• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding for winter

What would be the best bedding for winter in a shed?

• vet bed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • straw

• safe bed (pet life)

• Total voters

nicole

Mama Doe
I was thinking about using vet bed for bedding in my shed for Dougal and Mhairi.

It would cut down on waste and be easier to clean in winter.

But what would be warmer?

I've glad you've asked this :D

Some of mine will be in a shed for winter, hadn't thought of bedding :oops:

I use vetbed as an overall floor surface for my nethies, and then I have a hutch area above which is packed with straw...and covered over with a blanket. Their preferred place is jumping on top of the blanket and using it as a snuggly hammock :lol: Vetbed is lovely and cosy but I do think they benefit from some kind of enclosed area filled with straw/hay, if they are feeling cold this allows them to snuggle deeply into the materials to keep all the heat in, which they can't do just on a piece of vetbed.

Holly likes to dig the vet bed :roll: so they just have a few bits tucked in two corners of their hutch and the rest is hay and wood shavings

I thought the vet bed was a good idea, but I just put the babies to bed. I can go into the shed without shoes cos of the vet bed, but my feet were cold standing on it.

I know they have furry feet and I just had socks.

Great question, will be watching with interest as I'm just wondering whether to buy some vetbed for the hutch.

T
x

i put blankets on the floor of the hutch then other bedding on top. for a larger area like a shed, if theres lino or whatever on the florr to keep the moisture out, i would say straw. its really really warm in the horses stables when theyre bedded with thick layers of straw. nice soft straw is good to snuggle in too, and cheap to buy. if i was sleeping in a shed i think i would choose straw.

I prefer straw for the winter, it is insulating plus rabbits can dig into it and make themselves a nice cozy nest which they can't do with a blanket. :D

I would pick which ever one is the warmest when dig in.

But how does rabbit prevent the hay from getting to their ear after they dig in?

my girls shed has a concrete floor so it gets really cold (great in high summer though) I use a large piece of fake vetbed (from Wilkinsons) on the floor, plus large litter boxes full of hay for eating, and megazorb litter, which keeps it dry. Quite often though, they sit on the cold floor next to the door - and they chew and dig the vetbed too, so I'm glad it's a cheap lookilike!

Back