• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

peanut mini rex which has survived to 5 months

Rexy bexy

Mama Doe
a friend of ours has got a peanut mini rex which has survived upto 5 months old and so far so good, there was a time when he didnt look as though he was gonna survive but pulled through and it eating a drinking fine (touch wood)
anyway we were invite to bring some rabbits along to westen park game show were we had a display of rabbits to show the public and took the opertunity to take some pics of the peanut amongst other rabbits in size order

standard rex, mini rex and peanut (or micro mini rex )
SA400126.jpg

SA400125.jpg

french lop,standard rex, mini rex, pole, peanut
SA400127.jpg

SA400130.jpg

SA400129.jpg

OMG I never knew Rexes could have peanuts :shock:
I thought it was just Nethies
Will the little one survive long-term do you think?

Janex

:shock: How fantastic to be able to have all the differing bunny sizes next to each other like that! :D Hope the little fella has a long and healthy life cos he really is a cutie!!

In any breeds where there is a 'mini' or dwarf variety (ie, mini lops, nethies, mini rex)...then there is a chance of a peanut being born into a litter.

This happens when both parents carry the dwarfing gene. The dwarfing gene is needed in one parent at least to produce the smaller breeds of buns...hence why you get mini rex to standard rex...and mini lops to dwarf lops.

When both parents carry the dwarfing gene, then there is a chance of having a peanut in a litter (which is double dwarf gene).
So in a nethie litter...using both parents carrying the dwarfing gene...there is the possibility of 2 normal sized nethies...a peanut...and a brood (a large nethie! :lol: ).

I know when I was showing nethies, it was always recommended to breed a very small buck (carrying the dwarfing gene) to a brood doe...to lessen the chance of producing peanuts.

Sometimes the genes can just be throw backs from generations....which is why during one pairing I too had a peanut in a litter....who sadly only lived to 2 weeks :(

There's a little info from the knowledge I gained during my showing days :) hth.

Jack's-Jane said:
OMG I never knew Rexes could have peanuts :shock:
I thought it was just Nethies
Will the little one survive long-term do you think?

Janex

well he came from a mini rex and when they were 1st trying to produce the mini rex they bred them with nethies

we dont know how long he will survive but he has done well so far and seems a happy little sole

becky

aww bless him how gorgeous. I hope he has a long happy life - he looks a nosey little thing lol

That settles it - Cornelius is a peanut. His mum is a lionhead, and three of her litter were really peculiar looking. 2 of them have grown but Cornelius hasn't. He is getting on for three months old but is still tiny, only a third the size of his litter mates. I thought they were peanuts when they were a couple of weeks old, but when they survived I thought I must have been wrong. I knew there was a lot of Nethie in lionheads, and his mum came from lots of inbreeding. :roll:
capricorn.jpg

Sadly his back legs don't seem properly developed, and he isn't very active, but he eats and eats and eats. I can't see much of a future for him :cry: He has snuffles too :cry:

OMG! he is so cute and lovely!!! I've never seen anything like it! :D

do the rabbits ever fight when all lined up on the tables?!

Wow, he is tiny.

I dont know much about Peants...why would he not survive now as he's 5 months old and looks healthy? (Saw soem piccies of young ones where they hadnt formed properly :( .)

Back