• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dobin update

Dobbin

Mama Doe
Dobbin had the vets last week, he is still not a 100%, they dont want to give him any more antibiotics so he has now had a steroid injection which will hopefully stop it if its a allergic reaction!! IF not the vet said i could lose him to it, i of course am so upset. I dont want to lose him. If the steroid does not work the vet said i need to decide what to do.

He is my baby

Sue
xx

Sending healing vibes to poor little Dobbin )))))))

Can I ask what breed Dobbin is? He looks very similar to my Flopsy.

:D :D

Nicola

Oh Sue I'm so sorry to hear you have been told this :cry: Sadly, snuffles can be difficult to 'cure' completely and does have a tendency to recur, but there are lots of different antibiotics which can be tried as well as some other things to see if there is a cause (e.g. overgrown tooth roots) so please don't give up yet - and if your vet wants to, I suggest you change vet!

My lovely little Santa has recurrent bouts of snuffles for no apparent reason, but she has been like this since the end of last year. She does need to keep having antibiotics which isn't ideal, but she is well and happy most of the time - she just has a snotty nose and sneezes a bit!

Did your vet ring the Bristol rabbit clinic? They should be able to advise. Has a nasal swab been taken? It could just be that you've been using antibiotics which aren't totally effective against that bacteria - good ones include septrin (given orally), terramycin (injection every 3rd day) and penicillin (can be given up to daily, although it is considered slightly 'riskier' but usually does the job!) Bisolvon is also a product which can be given, if Dobbin has difficulty breathing, it thins the mucus so helps to keep his nose clearer. Things like tear duct flushing, giving antibiotics straight into the nose or by a nebuliser, and head x-rays to check for tooth roots being the cause, are other things which can be considered.

I totally understand why you're upset and it may well be that if Dobbin is going to be a chronic snuffler, you may not have as long with him as with a totally healthy bun, but many snuffly buns go on to live long and happy lives and can go for months or years without a relapse. Big hugs to you and Dobbin xxx

awwww how worrying for you :cry: I hope the vets can sort him out, it seems to have been going on for ages now, the poor little man :cry:
sending lots of possitive vibes his way xx

So sorry to hear this Sue. Lets hope that the steroid injection will help. Does he seem happy in himself?

Poor Dobbin, I was only thinking about him yesterday. I'm sure there are plenty more things you can try to make him better though.

Just read this update on Dobbin. I so hope the steroid injection works. Please keep us informed. Sending lots of good luck wishes to you and Dobbin.

Thank you

he is fine in himself - he is still sneezing. He is eating, pooing running around, is fine in himself - i dont know what to do.

Sue
xx

If he's fine in himself I would persevere. My vet always says to me that provided they are eating, drinking, toilet etc and seem ok in themselves then it's ok to persevere with treatment. You would know if he was unhappy. Bless him. There seems to be several people on here whos buns have this on going problem too. It's so difficult to know to do isn't it. :?

Back