• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

P@H and The RWA

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
There are MANY threads on here re P@H. Why, Oh why are the RWA happy to be associated with them?
OK, alienating them wont promote Rabbit Welfare.
But offering ENDORSEMENT insn't doing much in that department either.
I have tried, and failed, to address my concerns to the RWA.
It is VERY frustrating..... :x :roll: :cry:

Janex

Becaue they probably buy each other drinka at the local gentlemans club or am I being too cynical :lol: :lol:

snowy said:
Becaue they probably buy each other drinka at the local gentlemans club or am I being too cynical :lol: :lol:

I think its more like the two head people play golf together at a posh golf club :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Firstly not all Pets at home stores are the same, there are good and bad and I've seen the worst Watford which got closed down. Ive also seen a lots of very very bad local pet shops with rabbits kept in very bad condition much worse than Pets at Home.

I don't know with respect what Jane is referring to but I would be very interested to know. Lately there has been a bit of RWA bashing and I'm not sure this is very fare. I have been a member for a long time and atleast they are trying to do something and have made some headway. They are a volunteer organisation and as fare as I can remember have always tried to do their best for the welfare of bunnies.

If I was one of the key people at RWA I would be quite upset at the tone of some of the posts. The magazine can sometimes repeat their articals and for those of us who have had bunnies for a long time this can be very frustrating, but remember there are always new people joining and they must find it very informative.

I have great respect for you Jane and I love your posts they make me split my side with laughter sometimes and I cry with you in others. I'm sure if they are involved with Pets at Home there may be other reasons or they feel like I do that we must always communicate when we want to make changes and without communication you will just get nowhere.

I look forward to someone telling me what this is about as I don't have any more time to see if I can find a post which does.

With respect to everyone

Maureen

Jack's-Jane said:
There are MANY threads on here re P@H. Why, Oh why are the RWA happy to be associated with them?

Associated? As far as I'm aware the RWA's aim is to work with them on improving things. That's a bit like saying rescues are happy to be associated with the places they take rabbits in from.

Of course the RWA could happily ignore tham all together or just complain about them but would that actually achieve anything? Sometimes you just have to suck it up and work with people you don't always agree with because that's the only way to improve anything.

I think the current think the RWA and P@H are getting involved with is encouraging P@H to work with rescues in their local area. Doesn't sound too terrible to me.

The trouble is with a lot of orgs they're too busy getting on with things to let everyone know what they're getting on with so sommetimes it seems like they aren't up to much when really their just not keeping people up to date.

Tam

Tamsin said:
Jack's-Jane said:

Associated? As far as I'm aware the RWA's aim is to work with them on improving things. That's a bit like saying rescues are happy to be associated with the places they take rabbits in from.

Of course the RWA could happily ignore tham all together or just complain about them but would that actually achieve anything? Sometimes you just have to suck it up and work with people you don't always agree with because that's the only way to improve anything.

I think the current think the RWA and P@H are getting involved with is encouraging P@H to work with rescues in their local area. Doesn't sound too terrible to me.

The trouble is with a lot of orgs they're too busy getting on with things to let everyone know what they're getting on with so sommetimes it seems like they aren't up to much when really their just not keeping people up to date.

Tam

Maybe it is lack of communication from on high. I have been an RWA member since it was set up and have, to my amazement, had numerous articles printed in RO.
The impression I get is that unless people local to a P@H store get actively involved with the RWA outreach work then the 'working with them to promote Rabbit Welfare' is going to be very hit and miss.

I just dont have the time to Volunteer to be an Outreach Worker. I have not posted this as a 'lets bash the RWA' thread but out of genuine concern
In my local Branch last week I overheard this conversation
Customer-'so if ones a boy and ones a girl and they do have babies will you take the babies back'?
Member of staff-'Oh yes, but if we dont have room there is a place in Twickenham that will find homes for them for you'........... :shock:

Meaning ARC, our local Rescue....... :roll: :x

I addressed this issue IMMEDIATELY and hopefully a lesson was learnt.
BUT......... :roll:

I have expressed my concerns directly to the RWA and was informed that it really is up to outreach workers to spread the word. So no outreach worker-no 'word spreading'......
If there were more hours in a day or if I gave up SLEEP I'd volunteer....

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
In my local Branch last week I overheard this conversation
Customer-'so if ones a boy and ones a girl and they do have babies will you take the babies back'?
Member of staff-'Oh yes, but if we dont have room there is a place in Twickenham that will find homes for them for you'........... :shock:

Meaning ARC, our local Rescue....... :roll: :x

Janex

Boy that should cheer ARC up you know how short their rescue is of rabbits :roll: :( !

My Adele was the offspring of a P@H miss-sexed couple - maybe ARC should go to the above branch and ask for hutches for her and her siblings and refund the cost of their spays/neuters and vaccs - they could do with the donation (see other thread re P@H saying they would cover costs of miss-sexed offspring).

My bro-in-law had two "female" P@H GPs mate and produce babies, I am sure he would have loved for P@H to provide cages for them and payback the cost of neutering his boar!

Caz

Pets at home in cannock isn't bad, I knwo they sell animals but a lot of petshops do anyway. They have a good range of bunny toys.

Does anyone know how much training their staff get in the care of rabbits?

It might be a very interesting question next time someone talks to the powers that be at P at H.

Perhaps we should start a training session for them :lol: :lol:

Or give them 20hrs compulsive viewing on this forum and see what happens :) :)

Maureen

Back