• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving house tomorrow - worried about buns, help please!

xEMMAx

Warren Veteran
I need help on how to keep my buns as calm as possible during the move... I'm moving a 3 hour drive away and am worried about how the buns will cope. Longest they've gone in a car before is about 10 mins for Clio and an hour for Jasper.

After going through the search on the forum about looking after buns while moving house all I found was the best way was to move them last, but this isn't possible for me :( My dad is basically renting a van tomorrow, taking me and my stuff up to Chester and then leaving me there :eek: (He lives abroad so can't be in the country too long due to work)

My mum is visiting me next week but she won't take the buns on a 3 hour car drive because she thinks they'll smell :roll: But she wouldn't be able to look after them anyway.

I wanted to take them to a bunny hotel for about a week but have no way of collecting them because I can't drive yet :( And have no family living around Chester.

So I was thinking of moving them into the conservatory when I get to my house as it will be empty and is quite big... then once I'm sorted have them living in my bedroom. Will this be ok?

Thanks in advance :D

Depends on how hot the conservatory gets when the sun shines onto it. They sometimes heat up very fast, almost like a car.

I moved my bunnies a few times, and they did not mind at all. As soon as they were in their new place, they were happily exploring everything. Just make sure they are comfortable during the journey, with hay and a water bottle at least.

Good luck!!!

bilbo said:
You can try some rescue remedy before you leave iv found it helps calm them down. :)

Ohh I have some of that :D Do you just put 4 drops in water like for humans?

Bavarian Bunny said:
Depends on how hot the conservatory gets when the sun shines onto it. They sometimes heat up very fast, almost like a car.

I moved my bunnies a few times, and they did not mind at all. As soon as they were in their new place, they were happily exploring everything. Just make sure they are comfortable during the journey, with hay and a water bottle at least.

Good luck!!!

Hmm, yeah, not sure how hot it gets. Shall see what it's like when I'm there.

Ah that sounds ok then :D My two like exploring too :lol:
Yeah, in their carrier they're having pellets, water, veggies, hay from their bedding at the moment, dried grass and a toy... hopefully that will keep them less stressed :thimb:

Thank you!

As regards the buns travelling they should be fine as we hav e had bunnyruns on here from London to Scotland in the day and all buns have been fine. As regards the conservatory you will just have to watch for it getting to hot.
Good luck with the move and everything will be ok for the buns :D

Yep - Egg and Donut ( :cry: ) were well travelled little buns - they even came to the Isle of Wight on hols with us once!
Pop them in a travel box. If it's hot - maybe stop and give them a drink/splash with water occasionally.
Once at the other end, let them have a stomp somewhere secure - giving them their travel box as 'home', and get their hutch set up asap.

then unpack ;)

One tip is some water bottles leak with the movement of the car - when I took Violet up to Nottingham to meet Cosmos her full water bottle was empty by the time we stopped half-way to check on her and she was sitting in damp bedding! After that I only put the water bottle on when we stop.

Play classical music (if you can stand it :wink: ), it really helps to keep the bunnies calm and air con is great if it is a hot day.

I have done lots of long car journeys with mine so they were used to it before we moved (a 2.5 hour journey), however Adele hadn't so wasn't very happy with the recent drive back from London, it definitely helped for her ot have Cosmos to cuddle up to.

A smaller carrier is actually better so they don't get bashed about from side to side as the car turns. We popped our guys into ferplast indoor cages in the garage (as it was cool) while we moved in (we had them lying around) then got them out once we were all unpacked. My dad made their hutch and run in the same day so they didn't have to spend too long in the small cages.

Caz

Caz said:
One tip is some water bottles leak with the movement of the car - when I took Violet up to Nottingham to meet Cosmos her full water bottle was empty by the time we stopped half-way to check on her and she was sitting in damp bedding! After that I only put the water bottle on when we stop.

Play classical music (if you can stand it :wink: ), it really helps to keep the bunnies calm and air con is great if it is a hot day.

I have done lots of long car journeys with mine so they were used to it before we moved (a 2.5 hour journey), however Adele hadn't so wasn't very happy with the recent drive back from London, it definitely helped for her ot have Cosmos to cuddle up to.

A smaller carrier is actually better so they don't get bashed about from side to side as the car turns. We popped our guys into ferplast indoor cages in the garage (as it was cool) while we moved in (we had them lying around) then got them out once we were all unpacked. My dad made their hutch and run in the same day so they didn't have to spend too long in the small cages.

Caz

The carrier I have has two built in bowls so shall put water in one of those :D

Ohh I have the Pirates of the Caribbean soudtrack on CD... that's classical music! :lol: :lol:

Ahh that's good to know :D J and C will have each other for company, hopefully that will be good for them both.

Hmm, my carrier is quite big, will probably put some towels on the sides so that they don't get bashed around :thumb:

Thank you!

Maybe instead of water bottles just put some cucumber into their bowls - full of water and doesn't splosh. Just offer them the water bottle when you stop.

Chloe just did a 6 hour journey to her new home, she didn't have any water but I did soak some greens and veg in water and put them in a bowl with a few drops of water, so she could get some moisture on the journey. If you put water in a bowl or bottle it will just spill everywhere and make the carrier damp and uncomfortable. To be honest she just sat quietly most of the journey anyway and just munched on a bit of hay. I think vetbed is good for transporting them (as long as it doesn't get too hot in the vehicle) as it prevents them from slipping and is quite comfy. Chloe was fine and hopped straight out of the carrier and ran around investigating, even after 6 hours, so you should be fine on a 3 hour journey :wink:

Back