• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffly bun feeding kits

chloaster

Warren Veteran
Sorry, I know I've asked before but I think the question got lost in the general thread. Bilbo had bad snuffles and was making retching noises. I took her to the vet and even though she was feeding the one baby he put her on Baytril to prevent the snuffles getting onto her lungs and giving her pneumonia. Thursday two weeks ago she finished her course of antibiotics and then on the saturday night she had another litter.

Since then her snuffles have got worse again and for the first time last night she was retching again, and there is white mucus coming from her nose. I've cleaned her up but is there anything else I can do for her? Is there anything she could take that wont harm the babies? The vets don't open til 09:00 so I'm going to give them a call then but was wondering if anyone on here had any advice? Thanks

You have to be very careful as a lot of drugs etc will get through into the milk. I'd make sure Bilbo has a vitamin suppliment in the water or put on her food to ensure she's getting everything she needs. Most drugs will say not suitable for pregnant/lactating does as they are never tested on them as it's not worth the risk.
Pop a little Vicks vapour rub on her nose to help her breathe and keep cleaning up the discharge. Make sure she's getting tonnes of fresh greens to help boost her immunity. You're doing everything right hun, it's just with feeding she's going tobe more worn out as it's a big drain on the body.

Thanks for the advice raven_guest. She is getting plently of greens, will try a vit supplement see if that helps. Is vicks ok for buns? It is very strong!

I bought a child nasal aspirator for my rabbit (available child shelves in supermarkets amongst other places).

Its a device rather than medication. Its particularly useful if you can see the mucus as it enables you (hygenically) to suck the stuff up!

It's probably also worth popping a few drops of echinacea tincture in her water - it's supposed to help boost their immune system. Does anyone know if that's ok for a feeding mum?? I put a few drops in per 100ml and they love the taste so drink more too! You can buy echinacea (make sure it's e.purpurae not e.angosifolia, as the purpurae is the type shown to improve the immune system) in places like Boots, make sure it's a pure tincture and not an elixir with other things added :wink: You can use it for up to 2 weeks and then it needs a 2 week break (it's not dangerous, it just loses its effectiveness if used constantly). Hope Bilbo is ok! xx

Not up on this thread but all those babys are now carrying pasterella :( , whats going to happen to them?. I find it so difficult trying to home the odd rabbit that has it let alone two litters. Most people dont want to take on a rabbit thats going to have heath problems. val

I thought that most buns carried pasteurella anyway, and that doesn't necessarily mean that it is going to cause snuffly flare ups in them does it? I guess the risk with them being so young, is higher, but I'm not sure it would be certain that they would be snufflers, would it? :?

I'd ask the vet on that one, I'm by no means an expert on snuffles as (thank god) none of mine have had it. The pasturella bacteria (?) is carried in all buns but stress etc can cause snuffles or contact with snuffly buns, so I'd say there is a chance that all the buns have it and you will ahve to inform anyone interested of this so they can give them the best care. I am always against euthanasia if it's pointless, but I'd speak to the vets and seriously consider what is best for these kits and mum. If it's goiong to result in mum getting very weak and not feeding the kits, they're all going to die. Also you could be left with a lot of buns that need anitbiotics etc quite frequently, can you afford all that?

won't the does immunity be passed to her kits in the milk?
or once weaned do they develop the illness..or will they have thair own immunity to it? :?

Bluebell and Laikin are free of snuffles and both live with Bilbo and Laikin is her kit so has been fed by her so hoping the babies will be ok. Like AlisonA said I believe all buns carry pasturella and stress brings it out. Bilbo has had three litters in quick succession so I'm thinking her immune system has taken a bashing and once these kits are fed and weaned she'll have a well deserved rest and get stronger to fight it. The kits will be ok as there are only nine of them and there are two feeding Mums so they will be fed and they are doing well at the moment.

Back