• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slugs getting in hutch

Sue&Sooty

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone else have problems with slugs getting into the hutch at night?
My garden seems to be plagued with them at the moment and they seem to make a beeline for the hutch! Horrid little blighters! :mrgreen:

Any tips??

We've got the most weird looking slugs in our garden at the moment, about 4 inches long and bright orange :shock: Horrid things.

We're thinking of adopting a hedgehog once our garden's secure to deal with them. Freshfields rescue have them I think. That's probably the only natural way to get rid of them.

Hmm don't knw bout slugs - but my hutch was infested with earwigs a while ago. Used Johnson's cage and hutch spray and it seemed 2 help.

I know when I was younger my gran used to put out jam jars with a little beer in the bottom to protect her plants frm slugs, used to half bury them in flower beds, they used 2 climb up sides then couldnt get out, and would die happy if slightly drunk......:L better option thn slug pellets if have buns around, dont think u'd b able 2 use them

kayjay said:
We've got the most weird looking slugs in our garden at the moment, about 4 inches long and bright orange :shock: Horrid things.

We're thinking of adopting a hedgehog once our garden's secure to deal with them. Freshfields rescue have them I think. That's probably the only natural way to get rid of them.

We used to have a hedgehog who used to visit us but haven't seen him this year :?
We've got the orange slugs too as well as some HUGE black ones... eewwww!! I hate them I have to take the torch with me when I go out to put the buns away once it gets dark cos the grass is covered with them and it's horrible when you tread on one :eek:

last year they were temporarily living at O/H's parents house and i wondered why they weren't going near their food bowl - the BIGGEST slug ever was sat in there chomping through the buns excel EWWWWWWWW

Salt ring around the hutch worked, but i've since found out you can buy silver tape or sommit that stops them.

I've tried the salt thing but got worried about the buns touching it in the day when they have access to the run.

Whats the silver stuff called does anyone know?

Slug pellets come with pet deterrent nowadays, but they are often bright blue, so not very pretty in the garden. Beer is the better solution, just make sure the bunnies don't get drunk. :D

Is the hutch on legs? You could get velcro or some other rough material and wrap it around the legs. Then the slugs won't climb up. Not sure if velcro is unpleasant enough for them, just a general idea.

Hello,

I've not had trouble with slugs in the hutch, but try keeping them off my plants! A yogurt pot with beer in the bottom will trap them as they drown in it (although bunnies can get their feet in it too -very smelly!)

Or you can buy Copper Tape from Garden Centres - about £5 for a 4 meter roll. This gives them little electric shocks as they crawl over it so deters them from going over it - you could put this around the legs of the hutch?

Failing that - camp out with rubbergloves and a bucket to pick up the little blighters!

Good Luck!

copper tape definately!!
also a handy hint for all the gardeners out there....
dont kill the gurt bug beasty slugs!!!! they are your friends :shock: the only eat rotting vegetation so infact clean up your garden. its the little ones you have to watch.
personally i dont mind slugs and snais in my garden, but i do chuck em out the bunnyhouse :D

I chuck them into the neighbours' garden when they are not watching. :lol:

Most of them I throw on top of their garage, the magpies do the rest. Have not seen a hedgehog here yet, even though we have a huge pile of garden rubbish, thanks to the tenants before us.

We have several frogs and toads, and in the evening they come near the garden door to catch the insects that get attracted by the light. Sometimes you can hear the sound of a tongue smacking against the window. :lol: Maybe they eat some small slugs, too, at least the toads.

Bavarian Bunny said:
I chuck them into the neighbours' garden when they are not watching. :lol:

That is exactly what i do with the ones that are so far away from my tubs of lager which I don't think will make it there.

I must add I only throw them into the horrible neighbours garden. We have so much rubbish and chicken legs etc thrown over, I think they deserve some sort of payback. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Justine xx

kayjay said:

I'd wondered about that too, but have read hedgehogs are notorious for harboring fleas, and didn't want the buns to catch them..

Jx

Slugs are a HUGE problem in my garden - before I had a shed - they were getting into my buns hutch - kept finding them in his food and then spent 10 minutes trying to flick them out with the dustpan brush (as I won't touch them). Now the hutches are in a shed I don't have them in the hutches anymore - still managed to stand on one this morning on my way down the garden though - Yuck!!!! :?

Hi there,

I'm sick of finding slugs in Alice's hutch, they seem to have taken a fancy to the Excel pellets and they hide on the sides of her bowl so I end up touching them as I pick it up!! We've also got the ugly orange ones - disgusting things! :x Poor Alice can't get to her food because of all the slime!

Anyway, I have tried copper tape but they somehow get past it...I've tried rings of salt around the legs and in front of her hutch...I've also tried cheap beer but they refuse to try it.

My next plan of action is a nice bowl of excel pellets with some nice veggies mixed in!!

Wish me luck!!

Apache said:
kayjay said:

I'd wondered about that too, but have read hedgehogs are notorious for harboring fleas, and didn't want the buns to catch them..

Jx

can you not treat them like you would any pet? The hedgehog would be resident in your garden so you'd be able to locate it. Can you buy 'hedgehog flea powder' ? :lol: I'll have to look into it as we quite fancy getting one as we grow some salad and veg etc and they keep getting eaten.

petitelapin said:
I trod on one in bare feet once :cry:

A slug or a hedgehog? :lol: :lol: My OH went to close shed door few weeks ago in the dark and it wouldn't shut. So he tried again and again. Eventually he had the bright idea of getting a torch :idea: and a cute ickle hedgehog was stuck inbetween door and shed :( My stupid OH. Anyway we moved him and next day he was gone so we hoped he was ok. Won't come on our garden again I don't think :(

Back