• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at Home

Ali

Warren Veteran
I sent them an email the other day as I was concerned about the large breed they have in store

This is their reply!!!!!!

Good Afternoon

Further to your email, the contents of which I have passed through to the store manager, Regional Director and the Field Pet Manager.

Any matters regarding pets in store we treat extremely seriously, we have a number of strict procedures and policies set in place to ensure that they are kept in the best of health. Our stores are regularly visited by the EHO and RSPCA to ensure that these are being adhered too. The Rabbit in question is a Giant House Rabbit. It is housed in the old Chipmunk aviary so does have a large amount of space, as well as being allowed out of the enclosure every morning when he is cleaned out so has plenty of extra exercise.

The store has had him since the 27th July and prior to this they had his brother in there and then his sister who all looked identical.

If any animals are at all unwell they are immediately removed from sale and treated accordingly, either in store or booked into the local vets.

Please be assured that there is nothing wrong with this rabbit and if you do feel concerned we would welcome a visit from the RSPCA.

Kind Regards

RUSSIANBEAR said:
'suppose at least they acknowledge your letter.

Do u think the animal is a poor state of health

It just seemed to be in there for such a long time, but they said they have had another brother and sister in there :roll: :roll: :roll: as they have been selling them :? :? Looked like the same on too me, and it always sits in the same place, and always panting, I go in every week :? :? I have never seen it stand up :cry:
It had plenty of food and water, and as she said in her reply, its in the old chinchilla enclosure, still not a huge space for such a large bunny, and I cant see them letting it out around the shop every morning!!!!

I am sorry but what breed is a "giant house rabbit" :roll: - never known a breed bred specifically for living in a house before - at least they don't advise their tiny hutches be used for the poor fella if they have him labelled up as a house rabbit - just hope they make people aware that "giant house rabbits" do like to have a run around on grass too occasionally :? :wink: !

Caz

I'm a bit worried that it's 'panting' :shock: Can you actually see it breathing through its mouth, as this shouldn't be happening :?

Beany said:
I'm a bit worried that it's 'panting' :shock: Can you actually see it breathing through its mouth, as this shouldn't be happening :?

It may be just hot as it is always boiling in the store!!!!!!

Ali said:
Beany said:

It may be just hot as it is always boiling in the store!!!!!!

But rabbits don't pant to keep cool - that is why they have large ears, they open the veins in their ears and allow the blood to flow over the surface getting cooled by the air so as it returns to the rest of the body it cools the body down. If they are mouth breathing it is because their nose is blocked, which indicates snuffles, an abcess etc.

The only bunny I ever had that mouth breathed had to be PTS at 15 weeks as he had an abcess blocking his nasopharnyx restricting his breathing and swallowing :( - he was a british giant!

Caz

Back