• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lionhead rabbit shaking ears??

toffee

Mama Doe
Ted, my 3 yr old silver lionhead, has been shaking his ears for a couple of weeks. He doesn't do it all the time but every so often he'll just stand and shake his head and ears about for about 10 mins at a time.

He seems well in himself and lively and is eating normally (apart from pellets - see other post).

I have looked in his ears and they look normal, smell normal. No sign of wax or irritation.

Any ideas??

Get his ears checked by a vet. Mites and infections are often so deep in the ear that we can't see anything ourselves. The vet will look into them with a special instrument and will be able to give treatment.

Vera

Alex did this when he had mites - but he had bald patches too, so it was obvious. Could be hay mites, or just a bit of sommat in his ear?

I'll try to get him an appointment with the vet this week. It doesn't seem to be bothering him at the moment so I'll just book him in when they've got space.

What's the treatment if it's mites?? What would they do if it's a foreign body?

I'd book him in as soon as possible; ear problem are very uncomfortable... particularly if he shakes them for 10 minutes at the time.

Vera

Back