• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

is this being made in india after being banned then?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
cisapride..aka prepulsid..!!

this site i swhere i was desperately searching for the metaclpromide suspension or maxalon syrup to give as a tide over for jab for gi stasis..it would have saved oscar..
a lady i know..her vet gave her liquid met for her bun over the bank holiday and to try to reduce stress on bunny coming all the way to vets for 4 days..
our vets looked at me as tho i was dumb..no they dont do that i was told..hmmphhh

i remeber when i had my first house doe..she had dental probs and had many dentals and was always sent home with bottle of propulsid to syringe down her throat!

i know..is there anyway of checking what you get etc..but if i can find out wow.id get a huge supp;y for the cupboard! I never want to lose another bun to gi stasis it was awful..i feel i failed him por wee mite..hes been dead 3 weks today..and his widow has had gi stasis too..caused by not eating pining..

this is where the sites linked to..

http://www.npmeds.com/fda/online/Metoclopramide.shtml

theres a link from there to a site called...freedom pharmacy...and its them who are selling prepulsid! I though after being withdrawn it wasnt being made? but then again did you ever think thalidomide would ever be in production let alone use ever again?!!

http://freedom-pharmacy.com/Product...isapride,+Prepulsid)+manfactured+by+Intas&T=a

i wish it was ok..id love to see the gi stasis drug back at the vets..why dont the drug companies cut some deal with the vets worldwide and have it for bunnies?
oscar would have at least stood a chance...

PLEASE. PLEASE DO NOT administer drugs of unknown quality to your Bunny.
A Bun in total GI Stasis MUST be given medication via INJECTION. Oral meds are USELESS as they cant be absorbed as the guts are not working.

Gut motility meds can be life savers. But given in the wrong circumstances, ie GI OBSTRUCTION they can KILL (ruptured intestines)
Why not go and discuss this with your Vet BEFORE a problem arises.

Cisapride was withdrawn from the UK due to adverse reactions in humans. Vets here are now TRYING to get a Veterinary Licence for it.
My PERSONAL opinion is buying this drug online from India is taking an ENORMOUS risk and should NOT be done.

Janex

I agree. I do actually have some diluted Prepulsid from when it was given to my guinea pig recently, but I'd never use it in a case of GI stasis. It would be off to the vet.

A few months ago on Watchdog they talked about the importance of buying drugs from reputable dealers only. There have been lots of incidences of people buying supplies particuarly of cardiac drugs (for human consumption) which have turned out to be not what they have been packaged as, they could be either stronger or lower dosages than they are or even something totally different.

Cristabel our vet has also warned me against buying drugs such as Ivermectin off the net as there have also been quite a number of incidences of vetinary products particualry those bought from Asian countries off the net having different contents from what they are packaged as.

I would certainly not recomend buying cisapride from the net as you would be using it in times where your rabbit would be very sick, if this was an incorrect medication from what you thought you were giving you may end up with another rabbit at the bridge due to a drug error.

I think they still do the tablet form of prelusid as my Vet gave me some back at easter, unless it was just some they had left :?

Please do NOt read me wrong..i would NEVER give a unknown drug..i was merely curious to see it in production..
And the vet gives the shots for GI stasis but supposing your bun goes down with it at 11pm at night and you cannot get to the emergency vets as the overnite office is miles away and theres no bus and you cant afford a cab that far..well you give infacol drops and syringed fluid and keep them warm..and comfy and wait till morning...
I was merely wondering if you had a bun have one jab and the vet never aranged or told you another jab next day was needed..but help was still needed..you could ask the vet if the syrup of metal whatever..cant spell it!! was ok to give till they eat properly..heck i have even heard someone on another forum say they gave their bun BISACODYL!!!!! now thats something again i wouldnt do..

Did i tell youthat the head vet told me why was i giving infacol toa rabbit..i was stupid..it would do her more harm than good!!
well i am sorry but it did help..and i know many of us here use it..

all i was saying is curius its being produced and if so then why not for vets?

ooh really..there maybe a licence for vets? that would be so bloomin fantastic..that stuff works like rocket fuel!

Kibbles old vet used to give her 2 or 3 days of shots and then the liquid until she was eating byherself ok. so am i the only one who has ever had their bun treated that way?

I ca hardly excuse myself at being a first timer can i..but im learning more each day..
thank you for the input..please dont get me wrong..i think im still having gulit throwback in my grief..and not just for oscar..for my dads death too..

sorry guys :(

We are ALL still learning about Buns and of course you want to be prepared for an emergency. If you have a Vet at the practice you use that you trust then why not make an appointment to have a chat about your concerns and of wanting to do the best for your Bun. Which you obviously do :) I am sure a GOOD Vet would be willing to listen to a clients concerns about such emergency situations BEFORE they occur.

I am very sorry to hear that you have lost your Dad :cry:

Janex

Back