• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gorgeous might be coming home!

raven_guest

Mama Doe
But not to stay. I give up. The stupid vet that covers the weekend has suggested we take Gorgeous home to see if it encourages him to eat properly/poop as apparently cats don't eat until they go home from the vtes or some rubbish. I can understand that they're getting desperate, but I don't see how bringing him home for a day and then taking him back to the vets for all his medicine (it's a very long list!) will do him any good. I'm going insane with this, I just don't know what to do!

What meds is he on and why cant the Vet allow YOU to administer them at home?
Surely you are not saying he has not yet poo'd AT ALL :shock: :shock:
What diagnosis have you been given?

Janex

He got ill on 6th and possibly hadn't been to the toilet a while before that, I only noticed that he wasn't eating.
Since then he had a discharge of mucus and diarhea(sp?) on one day about a week ago, but it wasn't enough for the amount he had eaten. For about four days he didn't eat and was only getting critical care and dandelions. (And metacam and baytril)
He was taken into hospital on Friday 8th and has been there since. He hasn't been to the toilet due to a build up of pockets of gas in his guts which is preventing the poop coming out. He's eating like a trooper at the mo apparently. They have been giving him Meta something, the drug that's discontined, baytril, probiotics, liquid parafin, critical care and maybe some more, I ring every day but the medication seems to change or be added to a lot!
I've been to see him once and he was miserable, but not as bad as a bunny in his position should be!
I personally wouldn't want to give him all his medication as I think he is on a lot of different things and I think the point is that he goes home and isn't stressed out at all (hence giving him medication before he leaves in the morning and then the next morning when I take him back)
I hope he gets better for two reasons, the main one being that he doesn't feel like my rabbit anymore as he's been away so long and I miss him. The second reaon is that our vets bill is about £400 at the mo and I won't even earn that this month (thank god for the bf's credit card!)
So I'll speak to the vet about it tommorow as the bf spoke to him today and I'll kick some hiney if I'm not impressed. They're getting to the point where the only option is surgery and the vet said he wouldn't do it if it were his buna dn I am inclined to agree as it will leave scarring in the guts and probably cause more problems in the future which is a rubbish life for a poor bunny.

It could be that he eats when he gets home, Lucky wouldn't eat at the vets after his neuter and I pestered the vet so much that they let me bring him home, less than a minute after being home he'd eaten a bowlful of SS :lol:

Personally, I'd be changing vets as well at this point :?

Fingers crossed for the little man :)

He is eating at the vets, it's the pooping they're worried about. As bad as they sound, they have always listened to my suggestions and seem to be doing everything it is possible to do, I just think we're getting to the end of our list of options for him :(

Back