• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Playhouse in progress

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Well I thought I would show you some pics of my bunny playhouse in progress. It's not finished yet and I am having some issues with the windows - knowing whether to put the plastic in or not but maybe some of you can help me out

Zion giving you a size comparison
Playhouse1.jpg

Cool lino flooring
PH2.jpg

How it looks now (altho window have been temporarily put in)
PH3.jpg

I wanted to put the window (left) on a hinge but it isn't designed for that and wouldn't sit flush so it has had to be sc-rewed to the house itself. Not very well designed though as there is about 5mm for the s crew to bite onto so the wood has split :evil:

I wanted to be able to put the perspex windows in for the winter but I am not going to be able to as i need to put mesh over the windows for ventilation which will be permanently attached to the playhouse via a baton frame. I won't be able to remove the baton frame to take the windows out. B/f said maybe leave the perspex window (and mesh) on the door window and then have just mesh over the left window and then maybe cut an additional hole on the side with mesh over it and then have wooden shutters over the window and extra hole for the winter. I am concerned about heat and the cold. What do you guys think?

All that needs doing now is sort the window situation, put a shelf half way up the playhouse along the left side and the back with a ramp, put a hole for access to the run and attach the run (+ security locks etc).

Just wondering - what kind of hayrack people have in their playhouses/shed? I had a wicker one I attached to mesh in Zion's hutch but he destroyed that. I was going to maybe s-crew one to the inside but I don't know what type.

Thanks guys

Shiv

I have a half hanging basket in my shed. I use it for hay. They are cheap to buy £2.99 or less. Some of the hay racks are so exspensive.

looks good :thumb:

Are you sure you cant put hinges on the window? Mine looks the same as yours and has hinges :? . Think you saw from the piccies it has mesh across the open window, so when shut the perspex makes it less draughty (must admit it doesnt sit flush when closed but it isnt a problem as the mesh stops anything getting in and theres only a tiny gap). It had lots of air going in because the window is quite big.

If you cant do that, Id put prespex on the door and mesh at the window. You could always put taurpaulin loosely over at night for warmth, but still allowing ventilation.

Well my boyfriend put a hinge on the window (it didn't come with a hinge) and it left a massive gap at the top and sides and so wouldn't be overly effective. I think I may go with your suggestion altho I may get the wooden panel to fix over the front for the winter. May put the additional hole in the side as well - depends how hot it gets.

Is there going to be a run attached? If it is going to be there all the time. I just wedged open my cat flap and that lets in cool air. I used polycarbonate for my window.

Yup Zion's existing 6x4 run will be attached to the side. I will be doing what Dobbin done on her shed where a piece of wood will slide down inbetween 2 pieces of wood and will be open all day. I do think my run will be secure enough and I will probably leave it open all the time after a while but initially I will lock them (I say 'them' when I eventually get Zion's g/f) away at night.

What's polycarbonate? Isn't that the same as perspex?

Looking good!! lol spoilt bunny!

is it the ventilation or the suns heat you are worried about? if it is the sun could you get a car tinting kit (about £20) in silver reflective and tint the perspex before you put it in? this will cut down a lot of the heat from the suns rays in the summer. i think if you meshed it and maybe had perspex/wooden shutters on the outside that you could shut in the winter (what about those wooden slatted shutters which would surely shut out a lot of cold but still have a little room for ventilation?

it looks really nice keey up the good work :D

ShivyRex said:
Yup Zion's existing 6x4 run will be attached to the side. I will be doing what Dobbin done on her shed where a piece of wood will slide down inbetween 2 pieces of wood and will be open all day.

I thought about doing that, but was worried a fox may be able to push the wood up if it got in the run....cant think of a way to hold it down :?

Polycarbonate is glazing they use for green houses. Supose to be stronger and not so cold. I only got it cos the glass was cut wrong for the window.

I found when we had all that hot weather my buns were in the run all the time, but now it's colder they spend most of their time in the shed.

Back