• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just found this on Ebay!!!!!

Adele brought me this little gadget that sticks to your window and has a little solar panel that spins a disk with a crystle on which in turn catches the sun and makes little rainbows fly around the room. The dog is facinated by them :lol:

I uesed to have a lazer pen and the cat went mad chasing the dot about, it really is great fun :lol:

But lazer beams are dangerous. Why else would it say avoid the eyes? Why would you play with your pet with this??? :shock:

Everything is dangerous when you really look at it. A lot of cat toys I've seen have little bits that are easily pulled off and swallowed which could cause an intestinal upset or blockage. As long as you're not being stupid and shining the laser directly into someone's eye it's not going to hurt them. It's not very strong at all because it starts fuzzing out a little at a very short distance. It actually takes quite a bit to cause eye damage otherwise they wouldn't sell these for people. They're usually used by people giving presentations and such.

Anyway, I have one and my kittens love it! They go nuts trying to get that little red dot. I finish by tossing a toy where the light because otherwise they keep trying to look for it. I haven't tried it with the rabbits, but my fish try to eat the light! :lol:

unless you shine it directly into the eye at close range they're fine, percectly safe for pets as long as you're sensible with it! hOW DO i KNOW THIS, well when they first came out there were alot of drunk silly people in the pub with them :roll:

I really don't see why it says it is suitable for rabbits. :? :? :?

No rabbits that I know of will chase a lazer beam.

Justine xx

The problem is some dogs develop neurotic behaviours about chasing lights/shadows - did anyone see that episode of Its Me or the Dog with David Hamilton? His dog was seriously neurotic about chasing lights and was causing himself injuries as well as mental anguish trying to get them.

There is a dog on DP that chases lights especially torch light with a compulsion and it is believed that his previous owners used it to exercise the dog but it left the dog with terrible light fixations.

It is a bad idea especially with dogs like collies etc to get them to chase lights as you end up not being able to have anything shiny in the house in case it catches the light and sends the dog into a frenzy.

I can sort of see the fun for a cat as they like to chase things but a mouse on a string would work just as well and is a lot cheaper/safer (unless they swallow it :wink: ).

Pretty pointless for a rabbit - I can't imagine one wanting to chase it as they don't chase grass for food it isn't exactly in their nature to chase things :roll: .

Caz

The problem is some dogs develop neurotic behaviours about chasing lights/shadows - did anyone see that episode of Its Me or the Dog with David Hamilton? His dog was seriously neurotic about chasing lights and was causing himself injuries as well as mental anguish trying to get them.

There is a dog on DP that chases lights especially torch light with a compulsion and it is believed that his previous owners used it to exercise the dog but it left the dog with terrible light fixations.

It is a bad idea especially with dogs like collies etc to get them to chase lights as you end up not being able to have anything shiny in the house in case it catches the light and sends the dog into a frenzy.

one of my springers chases lights and shadows (always has since he was an 8 week old pup - and it is not a boredom thing as he has always had exercise and mental stimulatio every day of his life) we tried to stop him with distraction etc. but then a dog trainer suggested if it was something he loved that much (he doesnt go all crazy he does chase the light but not crazy spinning in circles foaming at the mouth kind of way, he is always wagging his little bum off he will also bring you torches and CD's put them on your lap and 'say please' ) we could try it as a reward for training which i have done to great effect (especially in agility) he doesnt chase things in the house so much only his special blue torch which he only gets for training purposes.

lol i cant imagine teegra or any of the cats chasing it for one thing teegra couldnt chew it!

abi and teegra

Back