• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sutton Coldfield p@h

Denny

Mama Doe
Sadley, reading my local paper last night, p@h are advertising job vacancies for a new store opening in my area (sutton coldfield) :( There are practically no petshops in this area that sell rabbits or piggies and have not done so for many years now :D Bettapets only lasted two years but only found this place this year due to me not knowing it was there and was glad it closed down.

When I first joined RU I enquired at certain petshops as to why they stopped selling livestock and was told that there was no money in it so think that p@h have found a niche in the market here :(

Now, after talking to Luvabun about it she came up with a great idea that I want to put forward and am hoping that anyone in my area of Sutton Coldfield and the West Midlands in general will help :wink: :D

I do not know the stores location yet but this is an ideal opportunity to start monitoring unwanted rabbits and piggies that may start sifting into free ads or rescues from this store.

I have the bargain pages twice a week and Jill suggested contacting the RSPCA's to see if they will monitor it too so I will contact Walsall and Barnshill RSPCA's to see if they will participate.

I was also hoping that any rescues in the midlands would also monitor rabbits and piggies coming in, noting which store they come from as we really do not have many rescues here so anyone looking for a rescue to take bun/piggy will have to travel further afield.

By everyone monitoring rescue rabbits that have come from this store, whether that be in the free ads, local papers or rescues, it should compile heavy evidence that p@h contribute greatly to the unwanted/homeless buns ending up in rescues :wink:

If seeing a bun up for rehome in local papers or free ads then maybe would could make contact with the advertiser pointing them in the direction of RR and asking them where the rabbit/piggy originated from :wink: We could also ask them if they would mind their details and a contact number being noted should p@h need confirmation that it is their store that is the problem with so many unwanted buns :wink:

I think the store is due to open before Christmas so estimate that we should be seeing rabbits and piggies up for rehome within the next year so, by monitoring it now we can see a realistic picture :wink:

Also thinking about contacting local petshops as I can forsee them having to close should p@h take off here. Pets@Home really need to see the damage that they cause to the small trader too :( they are probably not aware that such a store is about to open here :(

Your thoughts :?: and anyone in my area willing to help with this monitoring :?:

Den, get in touch with Kate&Co on here, she's involved with some of the people higher up :wink:

I think it's an excellent idea. At the moment their is little hard evidence of the impact stores have - statistics that give an accuate picture would be very helpful. If P@H turns out to be a problem you then have evidence to take to their directors and if not you know that efforts need to be focused elsewhere and hopefully you'll have identified where to :)

I'd suggest recording where each rabbit came from e.g. the name of the petshop/breeder or the sources such as small ad etc. If you're going to all the hard work that doesn't take much more effort but might help identify other problems also it gives you comparisions to compare P@H impact with.

Tam

Well, you know I'm near you but I had no idea about the new store :? Are they advertising the jobs in the Observer? Not read it yet this week. Trying to think where it might be - are there any vacant stores by TK Maxx etc in the town centre? Or maybe somewhere like Mere Green :?

Betta Pets was a horrid, horrid place and I was soooo glad it closed :( There is a new pet shop opened on Tyburn road that I need to go and investigate to see whether or not they sell livestock :?

I saw a job advertised in the Evening Mail for a manager at the new store in Sutton. That was about a month ago. I also wondered where it would be located. I also thought of the retail park at the Beggers Bush, by Tesco's?

I looked on the store locator on Pets at Home website but no mention of it yet on there.

Kate

Towsbuns said:
Superb idea Denny.

it was Jill who came up with it Julie :oops: :oops: but it is a brill idea, especially if we can get some relatively accurate figures :wink:

Gem said:
Den, get in touch with Kate&Co on here, she's involved with some of the people higher up

thanks Gem, I think it is probably best to get some statistic's first though before approaching them :wink: who knows, maybe this store will not sell livestock but very much doubt it :(

Tamsin said:
I think it's an excellent idea. At the moment their is little hard evidence of the impact stores have - statistics that give an accuate picture would be very helpful. If P@H turns out to be a problem you then have evidence to take to their directors and if not you know that efforts need to be focused elsewhere and hopefully you'll have identified where to

I'd suggest recording where each rabbit came from e.g. the name of the petshop/breeder or the sources such as small ad etc. If you're going to all the hard work that doesn't take much more effort but might help identify other problems also it gives you comparisions to compare P@H impact with.

Tam

yes, this is the plan, keeping an eye on our local papers etc and contacting them to see where they brought the bun from and keeping records :D Also thinking about contacting local vets to keep an eye open on their boards or if they get any dumped on their step :? :(

If you look at the free ads, we very rarely get any free to good home in the BIrmingham area, just mainly breeders selling or free stock going :(

Beany said:
Well, you know I'm near you but I had no idea about the new store Are they advertising the jobs in the Observer? Not read it yet this week. Trying to think where it might be - are there any vacant stores by TK Maxx etc in the town centre? Or maybe somewhere like Mere Green

Betta Pets was a horrid, horrid place and I was soooo glad it closed There is a new pet shop opened on Tyburn road that I need to go and investigate to see whether or not they sell livestock

yep, its in this weeks observer, I was going to apply for a job to see if I could get more info but Jill said to get my daughter to apply as they tend to take on the young ones :wink: so will do that today :)

I really have not got a clue where there is a big enough unit to house a p@h but yes, it could be by TKMax if there is a unit empty or did think of by Tescos like RUshie has suggested.

Perhaps they are going to use the Betta pets site even though it is not classed as Sutton COldfield there. Last time I was at MFI something was going on in that unit :?

The minute I found Betta Pets I went and had a word about working with rescues, They took my number so that the manager could call me. They gave my number out to 2 people who had problems with their rabbits :roll: fortunately, after talking to these people for a while it turned out I knew them :oops: :lol: :lol: I agree though, awful place and was another who was getting the sexing wrong :roll: :(

Rushie said:
I saw a job advertised in the Evening Mail for a manager at the new store in Sutton. That was about a month ago. I also wondered where it would be located. I also thought of the retail park at the Beggers Bush, by Tesco's?

I looked on the store locator on Pets at Home website but no mention of it yet on there.

Kate

thats interesting as I do not have the evening mail so it looks like they have filled the management positions now then as this ad is for staff members so looks like it is nearly set up for opening then :( :(

Yep, I tried the website too and no mention of it :lol: :lol: however, the ad gives a reference number to apply on line so will see if there is any more info on there when I log into it in a while :) thanks Kate

well here is the job description, does'nt say where it is located though :roll: there are loads of job vacancies on there :shock: :shock: just shows what a high turn over of staff they have :roll:

Vacancy details
Job title: Team Member - Sutton Coldfield - NEW STORE
Job ref: 161074
Job description: Summary: If you’ve ever been into one of our stores, you’ll know how much fun there is to be had. Bright, colourful and alive with the chirping of birds, squeaking of small animals and splashing of fish, our stores are full of theatre.

Report to: Duty Manager

Job Purpose: To serve customers and to maintain the readiness of the store to meet customers needs.

Key Elements: Meeting Customers needs.
Stocking the store.
Promoting the Company image.
Assisting the Manager and colleagues.

Meeting customers needs through….
Serving customers confidently and efficiently.
Handling queries quickly and knowledgeably.
Handling sales correctly and recording them through the relevant till or sales system.
Dealing with complaints and referring them when necessary to the
Manager.

Stocking the store by….
Learning about the stock and building product knowledge.
Re stocking the sales area as directed by plan o gram and / or Manager.
Ensuring that all stock offered for sale is correctly priced and packed.
Cleaning stock and keeping it tidy.
Unloading and distributing stock to the relevant areas.
Caring for livestock and maintaining high standards of presentation.

Assisting the Manager and your colleagues through….
Working diligently and seeking direction or guidance when required.
Following all reasonable instructions from Management.
Acting as part of a team, giving support or seeking help as required.

Presenting the Company Image by….
Be aware of, and follow, all rules and regulations as shown in the Staff
Handbook.
Wear the correct uniform and follow the guidelines for personal grooming and hygiene.
Attend and participate in staff meetings and training sessions.
Know the current promotions and specials and offer them to customers.

Town/city: SUTTON COLDFIELD
Region: National

Job type: Permanent
Salary: Competitive
Application deadline: 06/11/06
Start date: ASAP

Caring for livestock and maintaining high standards of presentation.

Ah, as long as they look all right, then that's ok then :roll: :evil:

I wonder if it is where Betta Pets was, although it's Erdington. I live 2 mins away from there, so will have to go have a mooch...

I am down tesco's way tomorrow so will have a look there too :wink:

just got daughter to fill out the application form, she said, what if I get the job, I said she will have to take it and get all the bunnies and piggies out of there and we will find some-one to take the birds and fish :lol: :lol: :lol: wonder if this store will have the vets in it too :? :?

they are also advertising for an assistant manager there :? :?

will get my family to check out Mere Green as they all live over there but not sure there is anything big enough for a p@h there

are you up for the challenge of monitoring the papers and free ads Beany and Rushie :?:

Hiya, I think this is a superb idea from Jill, well done :D
These pet stores will have to take more note of peoples concerns if hard facts can be presented...then and only then do we have a concrete case to present :wink:
If I can help at all please let me know, I am 100 percent behind this idea :)
Best wishes

thanks Adele, it will be interesting to monitor and if, over the next year or so we see and increased number of buns looking for homes, with this evidence it should also hold up with Birmingham City Council who will have issued the licence too :wink:

We also get asked to take in buns from that area, what do you want to know and we will ask?

snowy said:
We also get asked to take in buns from that area, what do you want to know and we will ask?

I snowy,

sorry I did not realise you were a rescue :oops: :oops: where are you based in Warwickshire if you dont mind me asking :?:

The info I am after is the exact store the animal came in from, reason why the animal is no longer wanted, name and contact number/address/email (if they are ok with this).

the reason for the name and any contact details will be so that the list of unwanted buns/piggies will have proof that the animal came from this store so that p@h can contact them if need be. Its no good bringing evidence forward without the proof of which this would do :wink:

thinking off the top of my head here, wonder if the rescues could compile themselves a form which the owner handing the animal into rescue could fill in. Another question to ask which would be informative to the directors of p@h would be if the person who purchased the animal thought the advice given was adequate and knowledgable that they felt they could cope with a rabbit etc :wink: It only has to be A5 sized but could contain

Name
Address
contact number
email

Store pet was acquired from

Date Animal was purchased (approx)

reason for animal to come into rescue

What advice where you given upon purchasing the pet

Signature

date (this would also be handy as it will prove how long the animal actually stayed in the home after purchase :wink: )

As being as it is a new store I estimate it to be a few months before they start sifting out so thought that we could all keep and eye out and converse every 2 - 3 months to see what we have so far :wink:

For the likes of me, Beany and Rushie and anyone else in the Midlands :wink: who will keep an eye open in the local papers, free ads, findits, free cycle etc, we could phone them up or email pointing them in the direction of RR and asking them if they would take part in this survey and if willing, could post those details to one of us :wink:

Infact, the above form would be ideal for all rescues up and down the country as it would stand heavier and could give a more accurate picture of p@h sales :wink:

The big white rabbit that I picked up from a lady near me and took to Phills was a pets at home bun originally, from the cannock store. She was told she was a dwarf, but turned out to be a whopper and they couldn't keep her as they didn't have enough room. Shall I fill that forn out for her?

It would be very interesting if someone on here got that job and went undercover. (anyone got a hidden camera?? lol)

One thing to just strengthen the evidence you are going to collect, you could contact the resues between now and the store opening, to get an idea of the number of buns and piggies in rescues now. You know so you get a before P&H and after?

8)

Nicola

Back