• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Large groups

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
How many buns have you got in your group and what sex are they all please, was it easy to bond a group?

Any help would be appreciated

4 in total... Holly, Sweep & Blue all girls and Sooty, boy.

When Sooty started living with Holly and the girls it was so easy... There was a little bit of fur pulling between Holly and Soot for about 20mins but they soon just laid on the floor together with their babies. They've all been together ever since end of march and as my photos prove, they all love each other loads!

HTH

snowy said:
How many buns have you got in your group and what sex are they all please, was it easy to bond a group?

Ohh - are you taking the plunge? who are you going to try together, or is this just speculation :)

woodstock said:
snowy said:

Ohh - are you taking the plunge? who are you going to try together, or is this just speculation :)

Hi Anna

I have a resident pair, Clover and Suggs and unfortunatley Suggs has a very bad dental problem and the prognosis doesn't look good and if anything happened to him then Clover would be on her own again, they are a happy pair, so I thought.... would it be easy to introduce another one or pair and make a group of 3 or 4 or does that cause more problems

I am just thinking about it at the moment and if I'm going to do it then I think it will need a lot of planning and preparation, hopefully I'll get some good advice on here.

Most I ever had together was 4 which consisted of 2 male/2 female. At the moment I have 2 groups of 3, each consisting of 2 male/1 female

I have never succeeded with a group larger than a trio :? Alot depends on the characters of the rabbits. A pair of does are more lkely to accept a male to form a trio than other configurations I think, although I did add a doe to a male female pair but only because I knew the characters and thought it would work for them. When I tried to add a fourth it all went wrong and I had to remove the extra two although I did get the trio back together later after the wounds had healed :?

If your Suggs isn't well the stress of attempting a big bonding might be risky.

snowy said:
Thank you sgprescue, was it easy to bond them?

I found it very easy with those ones, but then they had all been neutered for quite some time which helped a lot. I found it easier to introduce another male rather than a female ;)

Hi Snowy,
I think Veronica has a lot of experience in this, I'm sure she wouldn't mind you pm'ing her :D
Nicola x

I’ve got two bonded groups of six:

Five-girls/one boy
Four boys/two girls

Two bonded trios:

Two-girls/one boy
Two-boys/one girl

A single male waiting to be neutered who’s going to be bonded in with on of the trios.

A bonded boy/girl pair.

I’ve been extremely lucky with my bondings and only ever had one real tricky girl Scarlet who is now living in a bonded pair with Bruce free range in the house, as she cant cope with more then one friend as she gets very aggressive and jealous.

Louise

ellepotter said:
I’ve got two bonded groups of six:

Five-girls/one boy
Four boys/two girls

Two bonded trios:

Two-girls/one boy
Two-boys/one girl

A single male waiting to be neutered who’s going to be bonded in with on of the trios.

A bonded boy/girl pair.

I’ve been extremely lucky with my bondings and only ever had one real tricky girl Scarlet who is now living in a bonded pair with Bruce free range in the house, as she cant cope with more then one friend as she gets very aggressive and jealous.

Louise

Hi Louise

That's amazing, so it can be done!

I think that what Doorkeeper said makes a lot of sense as well, she said it depends on their nature and character

Obviously I won't jump head first but will plan what I'm going to do, it's also a good point that with Suggs not being 100% then the stress might affect him.

There is such a lot to think about, but thank you so much for you help

I have a bonded 7. 3 neutered males & 4 spayed females.
I started with a neutered male pair, added a pair of sisters, I already had a female/male pair that I had added a female to, so I put the lot together. Few scuffles, but I left em on neutral territory for days rather than hours, & now they all good. I've only failed with Flint so far - I think he is just a bun that prefers 1 partner. He's already picked a girlfriend now, so we are bonding this weekend. :D

Hi Angie65

That's fantastic!!

This is really giving me hope, it all sounds so positive.

Many thanks

Louise - have you found, then, that all bar the one you mentioned were successful? Or did you have lots of attempts before the groups were bonded? Did you find that you could roughly predict how they would get on from knowing the rabbits personality beforehand?? How long did you find it took to get each group well bonded?
Sorry, lots of questions!

All my bondings have been successful apart from Scarlet. Obviously you get the fur pulling, chasing, mounting etc for the first few days but nothing serious to justify separating them.

Don’t think you can ever really predict what’s going to happen, as I believe you see another side to a Rabbits personality once you start bonding.

For a group to settled and get established properly from scratch I would say your looking at a good month for everybody to sort themselves out in the pecking order etc.

Louise

ellepotter said:
Don’t think you can ever really predict what’s going to happen, as I believe you see another side to a Rabbits personality once you start bonding.

Louise

I agree!! Where I anticipated problems, all was fine - & the kindest, sweetest , friendliest bunny kicked up a fuss!!! :lol:

Thank you all for your replies, it's been very helpful, I must now decide who with whom, could be fun!

Back