• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sleeping area in hutch and indoor Buns

Lynette

Warren Scout
Hello,

Thanks for all the people who gave me advice on not bringing Rabbits in during the winter. As a result of this me and TOH have decided that when we get our rescue rabbits (in about a week :p ) they will be house Buns cause I want to spend loads of time with them.

Anyway- my Q is; outdoor hutches always have their sleeping room and this is obviously really important for many reasons- but most set ups i've seen for indoors don't.

Making my little (but big) home from storage cubes and was thinking of making a wooden part for their privacy-or am I going over board?

Thanks everyone for reading!!! :love: Just I want to do the right thing!

My house buns, who are free range, have a voyager cat carrier if they want to duck into it and hide. Sometimes they both will go in there and lay on each other and other times one will go in and the other lays outside it.

Deej has a pop up cat tent! (In the room not in his cage) and a chube etc to hide and sit in.

He had a cardboard box (in his cage), but ignored it! He liked sitting in a box the shape of a litter tray with a high back but is just not interested in a box bedroom lol!

My indoor buns havent really got any 'hidey' places as they both love the attention they get!!! :D They do have tunnels and tents etc around but never spend a long time in them, they are usually right next to us getting fuss!!! :lol: :lol:

My Dad's bunnies refuse to poo in public. They have two toilets, one in an enclosed area of their hutch and another in an upturned plant pot in their run. So maybe you should consider giving them an enclosed area for pooing as well as one for sleeping. :lol:

I guess its so difficult to know without having them as they all have such different characters :lol:

Trial and error I guess :p

glad you asked this :)

Audrey is currently in a dog crate in my spare room and she doesnt have any here to hide- she has a cat bed to sleep in which she loves! Am moving her to the kitchen soon and have been wondering if she might prefer a box to snuggle in particularily as it'll be getting colder soon.

I think its a good idea, but then i'm not very experienced with all of this.

Mandy does it matter what type of cat bed you get? Just making sure what ever I get will be safe cause I really like that idea :p

Are they going to be shut up in the cage some of the time? If its only at night time then it doesn't really matter as it will be dark anyway and thy will have their own space. If they are going to have access to the room alll day then they will probably find their own spot to hide in - behind the sofa, under the TV, in some little gap where you can't get - and will ignore comfy cat beds etc if they're anything like mine :lol: I used to alwys have a large cardborard box for them and they liked to either hide in it or rip it to pieces - or both at once!

For the next 6 months or so they will be in spare room with cage and massive run. In rented accom. so can't have them free range. Altho when i'm home they probably will be when litter trained

Lynette said:
I think its a good idea, but then i'm not very experienced with all of this.

Mandy does it matter what type of cat bed you get? Just making sure what ever I get will be safe cause I really like that idea :p

Erm...Audrey has three beds actually :oops: :lol:

She has one like this:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=29511&highlight=barbara
they were on offer in argos but seem to be sold out now, but if you can see if anyone on the forum knows the product number your store might still have some in.

she also has one similar from wilkinsons which was about £5.99.

and she has this one:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8704580.htm

But she prefers the open topped ones (i just swap them around when the others are being washed.)
She really does love it. Even when the cage door is open i will inverably find her lying in the bed!

It seems safe too, even tho she is a chewer, and as you can see other people use them too. :)

Thanks for that, going shopping tommorrow so shall have a good look around. Your Bun is spoilt! They all look very cozy.

:p

ALL Bunnies deserve spoiliing just like my Princess Callie kitty!!

She sleeps with me, typically picks and changes her position on the bed and when she does as it I accidentally end up kicking her as I am sleep and my brain has not attuned to where she is!!
Of course I am by now usually awake as I have been grabbed and nipped or scratched!!

My aqdvice also having had a dog who used to go to her bed wet! Not that you will have a wet Bun of course, is to get perhaps a cushion type that has a cover easily removed for washing.
It is bound to get very hairy and need a clean.

I would say definately - especially for new bunnies. Rabbits use a bolt hole as self defense and they like to know that there is somewhere safe for them to run to if they need it. It doesn't had to be a box, their cage, behind the sofa, under a table etc. will ll do. It's probably not as important for bunnies that are very settled but nre bunnies will be braver when it comes to exploring if they know there is somewhere safe to retreat too.

Tam

My new bun has a cage for night time, I also prepared lots of cardboard box type hidey and 'beds' but so far he seems to have made under the dining room table his hidey space.
I was thinking of buying him a bed but if he is anything like my cats will completely ignore it.

Back