• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Phantom Pregnancy In Spayed Bunny

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
What's going on??

Spice was spayed at beginning of the year - she had quite a bad phantom pregnancy just before, & was really bald & sore on her stomach (red raw! :( ).
She lives in a bonded group of 7 (3 neutered boys, 4 spayed girls), & the only un-neutered males she can smell are the 10 week old babies (3 boys, 3 girls)

Anyway, I was cleaning out last night & there was loads of fur everywhere - she's made a nest again!! Why would this happen?? I thoughts spaying stopped it!! :shock:

She's a year old

Bino did this too about 6 months after being speyed totally weird aint it! She wouldnt eat for 2 days as she was too busy making her nest :shock: I have seen her do it twice

Awww poor bunnies :(

That would make me feel really sad!! I'm glad Sophie doesn't do it - I always said she would have been a good mommy :lol: And felt awful for having her spayed!!!

Could be the result of an incomplete spay where some Ovarian tissue has been left behind. This will continue to produce hormones triggering Pseudopregnancy.

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Could be the result of an incomplete spay where some Ovarian tissue has been left behind. This will continue to produce hormones triggering Pseudopregnancy.

Janex

Ooo. Do I need to get this checked out?? & how??

Another thing is that you should leave the fur in the hutch, otherwise she'll pull loads more out and get sore again. Hope you manage to get her sorted soon.x

No hutch - she lives in a room with 6 other buns. She nested in a litter tray under a shelf-thing. I did leave it, until litter tray got too smelly! Her belly is bald again now. Bit worried, cos going on hol in 2 days now. She hadn't done it again this morning, so hopefully over, but might ring vet re what Jane said above.

Angie65 said:
Jack's-Jane said:

Janex

Unfortunately I think the only way to find out would be to open her up again :? Are her nipples enlarged? Any milk?
Hormone treatment can be given to entire Does to stop pseudopregnancies but I am not sure about those with a suspected incomplete spay :?

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Angie65 said:
Jack's-Jane said:

Janex

Unfortunately I think the only way to find out would be to open her up again :? Are her nipples enlarged? Any milk?
Hormone treatment can be given to entire Does to stop pseudopregnancies but I am not sure about those with a suspected incomplete spay :?

Janex

No nipples hardly there.
Cheers Jane - I'lll speak to my vet about it today.

Back