• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Emergency.......Updated, baby bun has died

hunnybun

Mama Doe
Titch one of the rescue buns had 2 babies 6 days ago, one of them died yesterday, this morning the remaining baby was out of the nest and at the other end of the hutch in the poo corner! it was frozen stiff and I thought it was dead, but after a couple of mins in my hands it started to squeak, I have warmed it by wrapping it in bubble wrap and putting it up my jumper!!! next I tried getting it to latch on to Mum but she doesn't want it, what do I do next? :cry:

Do you have any other nursing Does with kits just a few days old?
If so try rubbing the rejected kit in bedding from the other kits nest and then some fur of nursing doe. You could then see if Doe will accept rejected Kit as one of her own.
Otherwise I guess its an attempt at hand rearing with kitten milk supplement. Not often a successful task :cry:

Janex

I kept finding babies out of the nest with my Free ad buns. Advice I was given was to warm it, like you have (I stuck it down top) & then give it this kitty milk stuff I got from vet. Apparently they only feed once a day - so I just gave a bit to any baby who was out of nest. I'm no expert though!! :shock: :oops: :lol: As soon as baby was warm, i rubbed it in Mum's poo & stuck back in nest.

No other does with babies i am afraid. I will persevere with Mum a while longer, I don't want to hand rear unless I really have too :(

it is so sad when this happens :(

I have put it back in the nest after rubbing it all over with hay from the hutch and she is licking it! so just a case of wait and see now. :)

All tucked up in it's nest again, just have to hope Mummy feeds it :?

DSCF4214.jpg

emergency-with photo

As you only have the one baby now :( give it extra bedding to make sure it keeps warm as they can lose body heat very quickly :( if mum is not keen to feed him :( lay her on her back (do this as gently & less stressful as you can) & pop baby on her teats until you can see the little ones belly is full (they look bloated ) once she gets the idea that she has to feed her baby then she should be O.K. good luck :)

Re: emergency-with photo

rabshan said:
As you only have the one baby now :( give it extra bedding to make sure it keeps warm as they can lose body heat very quickly :( if mum is not keen to feed him :( lay her on her back (do this as gently & less stressful as you can) & pop baby on her teats until you can see the little ones belly is full (they look bloated ) once she gets the idea that she has to feed her baby then she should be O.K. good luck :)

Thanks, that is what I have been doing today, so far so good :D and they are indoor now too, so nice and cosy :D

Still up and check up on Mum and baby,
have set teh alarm to wake me every hour for ME on!! to crwl out of bed to see to them :shock: :D :D :D :D

Back