• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Evacuation on CBBC Thurs 14th - did anyone watch???

kitschkitty

Mama Doe
Please note you may find this topic distressing.

I heard the CBBC presenters say that on this episode (yesterday) the children (aged about 12) were going to be shown how to skin a rabbit. :shock: I didn't watch the programme but wondered if anyone had and what happened/was it for real??? It sounds very inappropriate considering society these days. :?

Here's a link to the programme I'm on about: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/yourlife/evacuation/

I don't think it's inapropriate kids know where meat comes from - alot of kids couldn't tell you what bacon actually is.

I guess you maybe mean the don't try this at home aspect?

Yep I did watch it, they set wire snares for the rabbits, and then went back the next day to see what had been caught. There were rabbits in the snares but the "voice over" said that the rabbits were actually from a local butchers and had not been caught by the snares. Couldn't watch though.

I wouldn't personally eat rabbits but in the end of the day meat is meat and was once an animal whether it's a rabbit, chicken or cow. But I don't agree with setting snares, for the reasons of possible suffering catching, wrong animal etc!

I've watched all of the series and yes, you did see little snippets of the rabbit but in fairness the camera mostly stayed on the kids horrified faces.

They all ate the rabbit pie afterwards though :shock:

Kate

We watched this series and my kids thought it was really interesting. Sure it was very upsetting watching the chicken and rabbit killing but back in the days of the war it was a necessity... it was that or starve!

Did my kids good to watch what kids used to have to go through during the war and rationing, has made them appreciate just how good they have it now!

A while back we were at a farmers market and my 6 year old wanted to try a wild rabbit that was on sale. I bought it and cooked a casserole with it and him and my OH ate it and declared it delicious, but it turned my stomach, and I had beans on toast.

The thing is, I've tried to tell my son where meat comes from and that if you're going to eat it it's best to get free range/organic and we always try to buy this. And you don't get more free range than a wild rabbit or pheasant. So it's really hard for me to argue against it.

He loves this programme and it does show how better off they are nowadays, kids take so much for granted don't they?

I have no objection to children knowing where meat comes from at all, in fact I think it is very important (And I have eaten rabbit and seen it before and after so to speak as a child).

I was just interested in how they edited/presented the article.

Glad to hear it was done in a sensitive and careful way.

My only concern was having read some threads here recently about the horrid acts of cruelty that have been carried out on peoples pets, I wouldn't want such an article to in any way give ideas to the kind of yobs who would actually go do something horrible (if you see where I'm coming from).

I've seen a few episodes of evacuation myself, and thought it was a pretty good show in general -it seemed to get the kids thinking. :)

Back