• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cyst or bladder stone

luvabun

Warren Veteran
Brody has been to the Vets as she has started to get wee stains :cry: The Vet found that she has a lump in her lower regions :cry: and as it's moveable thinks it could be a cyst or bladder stone.

She's on antibiotics in case she has cystitis or an infection and we're back at the Vets next week and I'm to monitor the lump. What I'd like to know is, has anyone's bun had this (I'm sure she's not unique :roll: ); how did you find out exactly what it was e.g. Xrays, blood tests; did you have it removed. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to go armed with intelligent questions next week.

I'd be very surprised if it was caused by too much calcium as my buns get hay, a few Science Selective and a bit of celery each day and whatever herbs I may have. I thought celery was low in calcium - is that correct :?:

I have had 3 Bunnies with Uroliths (Bladder Stones)
They all had successful cystotomy to remove the stones.

The Buns presented with cystitis-like symptoms. Having a feel of their bladder I discovered quite large very mobile nodules. Abdominal X-rays confirmed Uroliths and they were immediately removed.

None of the Buns had a particularly high calcium intake. But one was 11 years of age with, apparently, a life-long history of poor water intake.
She actually had to have a second op' as the Uroliths reformed despite dietary modification and sub-cutaneous fluid therapy.

Janex

Thank you. If it's a cyst not a bladder stone, is it best if that's removed as well? I'm leaning towards asking for an X-ray to find out what it is and get it removed.

All advice gratefully received for my little girl.

If she were my Bun I would request an abdominal X-ray, or if possible and Ultra-sound (gives a more detailed picture of what mass is)

If your Vet feels your Bun is, in all other respects, fit enough for an op then I'd want it removed as it is obviously causing some problems.
Is she is spayed? If not then I assume your Vet would also want to take gynae' problems into account. In my UNQUALIFIED opinion I'd say an abdominal Ultra-sound or X-ray is the first thing needed.

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Is she is spayed?

Janex
She is spayed. She was a stray from the RSPCA (who spayed her before releasing her to me)so her age is not accurate but they thought she was around 18 months old

Back