• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free ad buns what shall we do?

kayjay

Warren Veteran
My friend noticed an ad local to us offering rabbits and guinea pigs free to good homes. The lady in question has had a bereavment and can't care for her many pets. The RSPCA have taken some and will take more when space allows.

Now we're going on Sunday to have a look, Gemma is going to take the guinea pigs, 7 boars and 2 sows with litters, as she has the space. We're not sure what to do regarding the rabbits. There are 4 males, including 2 lionheads, and 4 females including one Angora. We feel we should at least take the Angora as god knows who'll end up with it and look at the lionheads. Obviously though there's a cost implication and we're after advice on what everyone else would do. Gemma does have the space to foster them but obviously not the cash to neuter/spay and vaccinate them all.

Can any rescues give any advice/help. Or should we leave them there and let the RSPCA deal with it in time. I don't know the conditions, but if the RSPCA have been and left her with them would I be right in assuming they would be ok?

Thanks for any advice/help

If it comes to fostering - I'm not looking to take on any more, but i may have a couple of empty hutches (4ft) that people are welcome to.

I think maybe you should assess the situation after going over on Sunday. Maybe she'll be better able to cope with less of them? But if not, post on here and maybe some of us can help out?

Is it possible for someone to have four boys and four girls, not neutered or spayed, and not be a breeder? I would have to ask myself that question.

I guess you won't be able to make a decision until you go on Sunday to look at them.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Is it possible to take either all the males or all the females (males probably best cost-wise for you?) to prevent any 'accidents' happening? :? Genuinely I mean, if she's struggling physically and mentally to care for them there's the chance that a door may not be shut properly or something like that which may result in the female getting to a male, or worse, a male getting to all the females.

raine said:
Is it possible for someone to have four boys and four girls, not neutered or spayed, and not be a breeder? I would have to ask myself that question.

I have 13 unspayed rats, and 7 unneutered males, does that mean I must be a breeder? I've had 'entire' male and female hamsters, did I breed them?
There are people on this forum that don't agree with spaying - Elve for example. Does that mean if she owns an unneutered male (think Benny is, but say he wasn't), she's automatically painted with a "bad breeder" tag? :? I just find your comment quite unfair, it could be any one of us experiencing an unexpected problem life threw at us (for example, the bereavement could be of a spouse or child, which would affect anyone majorly) and at least she's doing the responsible thing by rehoming the animals when she can no longer care for them.

mandy said:
I think maybe you should assess the situation after going over on Sunday. Maybe she'll be better able to cope with less of them? But if not, post on here and maybe some of us can help out?

Having discussed it with Gemma I think we'll go on Sunday to assess the situation. Gemma is definitely going to take the 2 guinea pig sows with litters and consider the boars. We think we'll go with our cameras and suggest she posts on rabbit and guinea pig rehome and on here, depending of course on the situation. My feelings are I'm scared of getting there and wanting to take them all away, which I simply can't afford to do. I could possible take a pair if they had been neutered but again it is so expensive to do this, it wouldn't be fair to take on an un-neutered pair and not be able to afford vet bills etc.

I'll keep you informed.

raine said:

My thoughts exactly. Especially because two of the pigs have just had litters and if she simply has too many because she'd bred them, well I fear I might be not that diplomatic. As you say though, we'll be able to assess it on Sunday

Back