• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mhairi being spayed she is home.

nicole

Mama Doe
How hot should the hot water bottle be?

How am I going to pick her up?

Should I get a baby gro incase she pulls her stitches?

Will Dougal pull her stitches?

Should i confine her to the shed on the second day or let them have the run too?

Any thing else I have not asked then feel free to tell me.

Aww Honey, She'll be absolutley fine!! I didn't even think about it, I booked it, put it outa my mind for a week, dropped her off and didn't think about it, just imagined her at home...then picked her up and spoilt her rotten :lol:

How hot should the hot water bottle be?

Not hot, Just warm :)

How am I going to pick her up?

If it's a necessity, then just any way you can without touching her tum or stretching her etc

Should I get a baby gro incase she pulls her stitches?

Nah, Should'nt bother :)

Will Dougal pull her stitches?

Highly unlikely i'd say

Should i confine her to the shed on the second day or let them have the run too?

Erm, Only the shed! :)

Any thing else I have not asked then feel free to tell me.

Yes - She'll be fine :D

Good Luck! Becki XXX

Thanx for your replys.

Just sorted out her veg, food and hay for tomorrow. Vet bed washed and drying as wee speak. Wrote a note for the vet (flatmate taking them down). All I have to do tomorrow is gut the shed and put down their vet bed and blankets and fix on the new hay rack.

And to calm down....takes a deep breath.

I know she will be fine but you cant help but worry can you.

I'll let you all know how she gets on tomorrow.

nicole said:
Thanx for your replys.

Just sorted out her veg, food and hay for tomorrow. Vet bed washed and drying as wee speak. Wrote a note for the vet (flatmate taking them down). All I have to do tomorrow is gut the shed and put down their vet bed and blankets and fix on the new hay rack.

And to calm down....takes a deep breath.

I know she will be fine but you cant help but worry can you.

I'll let you all know how she gets on tomorrow.

Your making me feel bad .. I didn't worry at all :oops:
Suppose having charlie with non-working lungs getting through the ga gave me hope of my other healty buns getting through it too :) X

Hope everything goes well today! Some vets will bury all the stitches so there is nothing for her to pull, hopefully this will be the case then you won't have that to worry about. I would pop a hot water bottle in a towel and place it near her, but I wouldn't put her on it. By the time she gets home she should be moving around enough to find it herself if she wants to.

Remember she needs to be indoors for at least tonight, and also offer her a bowl as well as a water bottle, as recovering buns find it less effort to dip their heads into a water bowl.

Good luck, please let us know when she is home later!

Any news yet? Hope everything went well and look forward to hearing how Mhairi is doing and about her recovery. Claire x

hope all went well, i wouldnt leave dougal with her for the 1st few days just keep her inside alone she will want to be quiet and may snap at him if he aggravavtes her or her oculdnt accidently catch her stitches

Mhairi is home but is still dopy. Dont want to bother her looking at her stitches just now. Dougal is fine with her, not botherd about her at all.
She will be in for tonight but I'll put her back out in the shed tomorrow. Hasent eaten anything yet!

God I'm worrying more now that I'm home!!

Has any one got any tips to get Mhairi to drink and eat.
Should say I never use bottles and they always have 2 bowls of water.

Thanx for all your well wishes.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For the moment, just leave her quietly with plenty of tasty things and hopefully she will eat in her own time, don't be surprised if it's not for several hours though!

Glad she got through the op ok and is safely back home with Dougal :D

Aww thanx,Dougal is lying about 6inches from her and she is half lying/sitting.
It's going to be a long night I think.

I've just been through this with Poppy on Wednesday....She was really dopey until today and even now, she still is sleepy. She has been eating fresh foods such as parsley and dandelion leaves, as well as dried grass and hay. I've managed to get her to eat some Excel pellets today, which she enjoyed, but she's not eaten any of her SS. I'd say give water in a bowl and just keep trying her with any foods that she normally likes. As long as she's doing plenty of poos and wees, that's good. Poppy needed to go back yesterday for a metoclopromide jab and painkiller as she hadn't pooed for 24 hours, but now we have lots of poo! Good luck and remember, she will improve a bit more each day. Please let us know how things are going. Poppy's wound is nice and clean, but as I'm squeamish I don't like looking at it so I get my husband and daughter to check it most times! :)

Aww Mhairi was cold so i put the heating on for her, she is now snuggled up on one of the cats beds next to the radiator. I hand fed her some hay and she still has not had a drink. There is a bowl of water always in the living room.

We had had some poo but not sure about a wee wee. Keep my eyes open for it.

How is your wee one?

I hope Mhairi is feeling a bit better this morning.

When I had Pippa spayed it took a good 4/5 days before she was anything like 'normal' so don't worry too much. Just tempt her with food - Pippa really went for grated carrot and cucumber then I mixed pellets in with it to fool her into eating them!

Poppy's doing well, thanks! I rang the Vets about the pellets issue and they told me to give her the Excel, which she is woofing down! I may keep her on this as Burgess have upped the fibre to 16% now and she has loads of hay and dried grass,etc, anyway to I think her fibre levels will be fine. She seems a lot brighter today - I think we've turned the corner after three days. Please keep us posted about Mhairi. Claire x

Got up to give Mhairi her Metacam, no way was she taking it. She was wriggling so much I had to put her back in their zoozone.

How am I going to get her to take this metacam?

But she looks brighter this morning, not seen her drink or eat anything today.
Snuggled up to Dougal in the litter tray (first time I've seen them do this).
Will try again later.

Glad to hear everyone's rabbits are ok.

Edit- bit the bullet and just gave her the metacam

Back