• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded pair fighting when others are nearby.

Spacegirl

Mama Doe
Twice within a few days Humpty has attacked Pepper because there has been another pair in a nearby run to theirs :shock: He hasn't really hurt her - mostly fur pulling, but I think she has got really scared - today I actually heard her scream and run away - I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't heard someone else say yesterday about rabbits screaming :( Poor Pepper - she's such a softie. I didn't think they were that close today , probably about 5 foot gap between the nearest points. I guess I will have to keep them at separate ends of the garden.
Does anyone else have this problem?

Yep :?
If any of my other rabbits go near claude and miffy they start fighting,so there run is away from all the others

yep it happened to me although my 4 are now bonded if lil man or orchid went near bino and poppets cage they used to fight inside but now thye live happily as a 4 :D

Same with me as Carys - I had a nightmare with Smirnoff & Joey if they smelt another bun - now they are part of a 7 & there are other buns nearby :D

Yep!, same here, a pair I was fostering who were brothers and had been together since birth and they were castrated, they used to fight if another girl bunny came near them or a male that wasn't castrated.

It is quite common and is called "Referred agression"..I found with my pair who do this, they are ok if they can hear or smell other buns and are ok if out in runs in garden ...as long as there is at least a 3 foot gap between..inside their own pens it needs to be screened off so they can't see!
Good luck!

My bonded pairs do this every time I have a new bunny in the room. It takes them a few days to get used to it and then they are fine.

Vera

Crikey, I'm so glad someone started this thread, I thought it was just me...

My pair didn't take too well to Violet, esp Poppit who chased her. I've positioned the 2 cages next to each other in the hope that they will get used to the signt and smell of each other. I think it is having a negative effect though as Poppit is snapping at Peanut and furiously humping his head :?

Back