• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dilemma- dog crate size

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Hello :D

Audrey my rex is soon going to move into our kitchen for the winter, then outside when the weather gets warm next year.

So, I have 2 dog crates- one 42 inch, which she is currently in, in our spare room and a 36 inch one...so anyway, bf has agreed under duress to her living in the kitchen, but wants to use the 36 inch one as its metal rather than black so less obtrusive and a bit smaller....but i feel guilty her being in one that size....was going to put an upstairs in and she'd actually only be locked in at night or when we have visitors which isnt often :lol: . When Im out at work she can have a run area using my beloved argos storage cubes and the evenings out free range....

Basically im trying to aleviate my guilt! :lol: thoughts please??

(She will be getting a friend eventually.)

Hello,

I can't help i'm afraid, but just wanted to ask when are you going to bring them in and when do you put them out again?

Just getting 2 buns soon and want to do that but again my Partner is under duress and not too happy

Thanks

:bunny:

What about.. in the spare room, but with both dog crates pushed together? I do this with my 2 dog-crated buns. They are completely loose overnight, but have to go out in shifts with another pair of buns. 6.5 foot is a nice length, if you stick a shelf in part of it & make some of it 2 levels :D

I don't know how big your Rex is, but mine is my 3rd largest bun (after the NZ & French Lop X), so I'd be wary about her not having moving space - especially with the prone to sore hocks thing?

She cant stay in the spare room because i foster cats in there (dont have any at the mo obviously!)

She is quite big, but thats mainly because she needs to lose weight :lol: . The area she'd have during the day would be quite large- basically she cant be trsuted loose when Im not around as she is Audrey 'Destructivo' bun - she poos everywhere and feels she must also taste (destroy) everything - her favourite past time is ripping wallpaper off!
And you literally tore apart a handbag Id left on the floor!

Hmmm will have to have a think about it, she could always go in the summer house, but wanted her to be in with me really.

ps. she actually suffersfrom sore hocks, but I was thinking it would actually help for her not constantly be on the move :? - ie) really soft thick bedding in the crate taking the pressure off?

Lynette said:
Hello,

I can't help i'm afraid, but just wanted to ask when are you going to bring them in and when do you put them out again?

Just getting 2 buns soon and want to do that but again my Partner is under duress and not too happy

Thanks

:bunny:

Hi :)
Well Audreys already in...but id think you'd have to bring them in fairly soon whilst its still mild and then out again next spring time when its warming up :?:

Porky is in a 36inch one,he goes outside in a run during the day and comes out indoors for an hour in the evening he is fine :)

Back