• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sore skin just outside eye help!

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
ok bertie has mites..hes had a rough time as i didnt notice as i was nursing bif through stasis..poor bertie..
I rang Jo and she rushed over yesterday to ivermect him..
where hes been scratching he looks like hes caught his eye corner..the outer edge..and it looks very sore..im off to bathe it with saltwater once hes awake..waking a french lop mid deep sleep is like waking the dead!
It doesnt appear as though his eyes been running to cause this..it looks as though hes scratched it..whilst scratching his face.
It isnt nasty infected just a bit sore looking..
can anyone recommend any eyebalm or something to use to calm it down.
I should see the vet..but why for this and get charged bucketloads when all is needed is a sothing cream!
soory big beef with vet right now..the head one tried to take bif in for a dental saturaday when she went for her 2nd motility gut jab..um hllo the vet we saw the day before siad no way..shed die as shes got got full blown gi stasis..
then he made an appointment for monday! i cancelled as shed just started pooing and nibbling some pellets. shes a very bright thing compared to the little girl in my arms every couple of hours being syringed!
eye balm..help please!

I would not advise putting any creams or lotions around your Buns eye. Salt water is not a good idea either. Just use plain cooled boiled water and then dry it gently with clean kitchen towel. You can smear a bit of Vaseline over the sore area but any other potions or lotions really need to be used ONLY after seeking Veterinry advice.

Janex

Thank you..i was going to go to vets but its got a bit better..he has mites so hes due his second ivermect..and his scratching didnt help his eyes!! hes a french lop..so those toenails do a bit of damage even if theyre relatively short!
if it doesnt go or worsens then ill go donw to the vet..but ill wait for the rabbit savvy one after the head vet tried to make my bunhave a dental whilst she had gut stasis!! BAD i hasten to add. :shock:

Back