• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New buns-is my set up ok???

Lynette

Warren Scout
Hello,

Well i'm a new member but been reading loads on here but some things just contridict so much, so just wanted to run my ideas by everyone to see whether they sound ok. By the way planning on getting two small rabbits from a rescue centre.

Here goes- My Fiance is making a rabbit hutch for the garden and the plan (at the moment!) is to have it 140 cm by 120 cm and 90 cm high. There will also be a run attached always which will be as big as we can possibly make it. Prob 200 cm by 140 cm.

I'm moving in with my Fiance and he works nights alot as he's a PC so planning on bringing the buns in alot during the evenings. Actually managed to get some storage cubes from argos and planning on making a run so they don't run around everywhere (rented house and Dads bond :lol: )

Also wanted to make an indoor hutch for them (again as big as possible and have the run against that). When my Fiance works all night don't wanna go outside to put them back in hutch. This is out compromise as he wont let them (till we get our own house) be house buns! Worried about winter though as i've read all about winter fur, and will the change just be too much for them?

Sorry for all the questions! I guess although the amount i've read and learnt you can never know too much!

Any tips you have would be great, sorry to go on!

Thanks

:bunny:

to be honest, i couldn't comment on size of hutch/run as all my are house bunnies

but when they are indoors why dont you get a large dog crate (the 42 or 48inch ones on ebay would be ok) and attach a run to the front of that. there would be plenty of room for litter tray etc and you could put a shelf in it too. its best to get the ones with a plastic tray and they aren't too expensive either. you can fold it up when its not in use so that's an advantage too

i have my baby bun Frida in a 42 inch dog cage (with the door removed) and a run made from argos cubes and she is a very contented bunny.

As big as possible is a good place to start! The measurements fo the hutch though sound like it would be very deep - that might make it really difficult to reach into the back to clean. You might be better off laking it longer and thinner.
As for bringing them in in the winter - I think the general feeling is that its better not to once the temperature difference becomes significant eg once you need to start using the central heating.

Do you think its ok to still bring them in for a couple of hours every night, I want them to be well handled and obviously with the weather getting bad that will be more difficult to do if they stay outside all the time.

Thanks for replies :love:

You might want to build something like a playhouse for them instead where you can go out and be with them in their space instead of bringing them indoors. You could put in lights and even heaitng. It is not a good idea to bring them in and out in the winter. They need to be one thing or the other - house rabbits or outside all the time. It gets really cold so they will need full coats which they may not get if you keep bringing them indoors.

Sorry more Q's- is it ok if i decide to bring them in the whole of winter-if I decide to do this-when would be best? And then when could I put them back out again. Is it too late to think about bringing them in?

Sorry just so confused now and want to do the right thing. No room for a shed- when we get our own house we'll do that or make them house buns full time.

Thanks for replies

:p :p :p

yes it is ok to bring them in through the whole of the winter SOAD does this :lol: (and she has 11 to keep bringing in each year from outside!)

Hmmm I'm not sure of it in cms but my outdoor hutch is 4ft x 18in x 18in and is permanently attached to a 4ft x 4ft x 2ft run so they have constant access to that. I have 2 small breed (dutch) buns in there, it was fine all summer as they only really used the hutch as a bolthole and for sleeping in in the afternoon (prefer to sleep in box in run at night) but ideally it's a bit small for the winter when they'r going to b in it more often, so I'm selling it and getting a bigger 1, as I'd like to close them in at nights when it's cold.

I have the RSPCA rabbit care book and the guidlines in it are for 2 small breed buns, minimum hutch size 6 ft x 2ft x 2ft.

Like I say not sure of cms so might b big enough if you work it out

140 cm by 120 cm and 90 cm high. There will also be a run attached always which will be as big as we can possibly make it. Prob 200 cm by 140 cm.

For those who like feet that is 4'8" x 4' x 3' high. Which is a lovely big size :) The depth being a bit difficult is a good point though, are your arms long enough to reach 4' back too clean the hutch/reach bunnies?

If you don't have room for a shed, playhouses are a bit smaller, they are about 140cm by 140 cm so not much bigger than you're proposing but they're a bit taller so you can get inside easier for cleaning or if you want to sit on the floor and talk to the bunnies :)

Back