• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

No poo or wee yet!

minilops

Alpha Buck
Poppy's home from her spay - can anyone tell me how long it might be before she poos and wees? (Please see my post in Chat, but desperate for any advice!) Thanks!! :D

Hiya

She should poo within 12 hours of the GA.
Do you know if your Vet gave her a gut motility drug (METOCLOPROMIDE) after her op? (It might be on the receipt you were given)
She needs to be indoors in a warm quiet place. Offer her water from a bowl. Gratted carrots often tempt a Bun to eat. So do dandelion leaves.
I am sure she will have poo'd by the early hours of the morning. But if by first thing tomorrow she has not done so you need to contact your Vet to ask for some Metoclopromide and some more pain relief.

Try to stay calm around her. She wil pick up on your anxiety. Just give some comforting nose-rubs. I am sure she will perk up as the night progresses.

Janex

Thanks Jane! She is indoors and we're trying to keep it quiet for her. She's in our warm conservatory, but the rain is hammering so hard on the roof! Yes, the vet gave her metaclopromide and pain killer. She has eaten some carrot tops and some dandelion leaves. She has a gourmet selection in front of her, including grated carrot, parsley, her SS pellets, timothy hay and Excel Herbage, as well as fresh water in a bowl and a bottle. She is bedded on a snuggly, clean towel with a litter tray with Carefresh in. She seems OK and she had sub-cutaneous stitches. Haven't managed to check her wound yet. Hopefully she will poo and wee tonight, but if not by the morning I will be calling the Vet first thing to take her to get more metaclopromide and pain killer. Thanks again for your help. Claire x

Sounds like your Vet has done a grand job :D
As Poppy has had a nibble of Carrot top I am sure you will see some poo by morning.
Dont worry if the poo looks abnormal, maybe a bit soft and squidgey (SORRY :mrgreen: ) Her guts will soon settle down.

I know what you mean about the rain :shock: :shock:
We still have a hosepipe ban here.... :roll:

Janex

Wow! She sounds like she's in very good hands! Good that she's eaten to. Hope she feels better tomorrow.

I bet there will be poo's by the morning, ill start a poo chant!!!!!

:bunny: :bunny: POO POPPY POO, POO POPPY POO, POO POPPY POO, POO POPPY POO, POO POPPY POO, :bunny: :bunny:

Thanks everyone! It's 6am and she's done a big wee, but no poos! :( I'm calling the vet as soon as they open at 8.30am if no poos by then. She has eaten grated carrot and timothy hay and some carrot tops last night. It's gone in but not come out! She does seem bright, though, but I'm calling the vet definitely to ask for metaclopromide! Claire x

good luck at the vets!
the same thing happened to teegra when he was neutered he had to stay at the vets overnight and the vets son hand picked him dandelions, they put him in a run outside something to do with the hopping around helping to move things along. when he came home after pooping at the vets he stopped pooping at home :roll: so at about 11 at night i moved him from the 'hospital cage' to his normal cage and within 15 mins he had pooped.

hope poppy feels better soon

abi and teegra

Thanks! I've just got back from the Vets. They've given Poppy metaclopromide and metacam. Hopefully, she will poo soon! Still not interested in pellets, but Jane said this is completely normal so I will concentrate on getting the fresh food into her. She's eaten a little timothy, but not much. I WANT POO, POPPY!! (If no poo today, she has to go back tomorrow morning :( ) Claire x

minilops said:
Thanks! I've just got back from the Vets. They've given Poppy metaclopromide and metacam. Hopefully, she will poo soon! Still not interested in pellets, but Jane said this is completely normal so I will concentrate on getting the fresh food into her. She's eaten a little timothy, but not much. I WANT POO, POPPY!! (If no poo today, she has to go back tomorrow morning :( ) Claire x

Try getting her to eat some dandelion leaves (a natural laxative). Also, allow her to have a gentle hop about. Sitting still wont encourage her guts to move.

Janex

Thanks Jane, once again!! :D I gave her some dandelion leaves last night and she ate them, which was great to see. Since we've been home from the vets this morning, she has eaten some parsley. I soaked some SS pellets in a little pineapple juice and tried to tempt her from a teaspoon, but she seemed to get humpy with me and wasn't interested, so I decided not to upset her any more (after trip to vets earlier). She's not eaten any hay this morning or pellets. I'll go and pick some more dandelion leaves now.....what goes in SURELY MUST COME OUT! :wink:

YES, YES, YES!! Poppy has pooed! About 10 lovely, round, normal poos! Thank heavens for that! (Has anyone else ever felt so relieved to see poo? :oops: )

Thank-you everyone for your help, especially Jane!! :D

minilops said:
YES, YES, YES!! Poppy has pooed! About 10 lovely, round, normal poos! Thank heavens for that! (Has anyone else ever felt so relieved to see poo? :oops: )

Thank-you everyone for your help, especially Jane!! :D

Awwww well done POPPY :love: :love: :love: :love: And yes I have :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks, Ali! Can I just ask you a quick question, as you've recently been through this with Bella..... how long did it take for Bella to eat her regular pellets again? Poppy's not interested in them at the moment, but she usually loves them....I'm sure this is perfectly normal but how long did Bella take before she ate her dry food again? :)

minilops said:
Thanks, Ali! Can I just ask you a quick question, as you've recently been through this with Bella..... how long did it take for Bella to eat her regular pellets again? Poppy's not interested in them at the moment, but she usually loves them....I'm sure this is perfectly normal but how long did Bella take before she ate her dry food again? :)

It was two maybe three days before she started eating her pellets, but she was eating grated carrots, celery, brocilli, and hay, so I wasnt overly worried,

The little darlings do make us so worried dont they :roll: :roll: :roll:

Back