• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

This may sound stupid...

Dobbin

Mama Doe
but i am so worried about my boy. He finishes the doses of antibiotics on Friday. As many of you know Dobbin has been on oral and inject antibiotics for the past two weeks. Well we went today for our injection and we again have mucus - which we have not had for a week, the sneezes are also quite bad again, where as they had eased off.

I am so worried i am going to lose him. He is still as bright as a button, eating pooing and runing around.

Sue
xx

I think I would be inclined to ask the Vet about a trial of NO TREATMENT for a few days. Really to give his guts a chance to re-colonise some 'good' bacteria.
Has a nasal swab been done? To get a deep enough swab I suspect a GA may be needed.
If the infection is confined to the upper respiratory tract then it is possible to administer antibiotics via nasal drops. BUT it would be best to identify what bacteria are involved so as the correct antibiotic can be given.

Is the mucus white or clear? If clear then maybe he has an allergic rhinitis rather than an infection.

Janex

He has had a week off and it made no difference he just got worse!!!

I think a GA is what she may want to do but we are both woried that if he is not breathing right he may not come through the other side.

The vets are being wonderful, again this week they are not charging me, she has been doing research.

We are both so worried about him having a GA - does that sound stupid? I have tears in my eyes writing this, i cant imagine losing him.

Sorry

Sue
xx

Poor Dobbin :( I am really hoping you get to the bottom of this.

It might sound stupid, but have you considered homeopathy? For kids it's really good for these niggly complaints that haven't responded to conventional medicine. I've done a search for you and I've seen homeopathic vaccinations for bunnies, so there must be advice out there somewhere. Maybe a rubbish idea but might be worth exploring?

I'd be considering an allergy at this stage, it sounds just like Lucky was around a year ago, granted the vets were completely crud :evil: and I solved it myself :oops:

Lucky was allergic to Excel pellets and still is

Fingers crossed for little Dobbin

It is a risk, obviously. But as he has had a variety of antibiotics, none of which have brought about an improvement it makes me wonder if it is :
A- Not infection but allergy

B- If infection, it is in a place within the upper respiratory tract that is not being accessed by systemic antibiotics

Is the mucus from one nostril or both?
If one, as a LONG SHOT has a foreign body been excluded? (a strand of hay being the usual offender)

Nasal polyps are another possibility.

So is dental disease, although as Dobbin is so young it would be unlikely

Another VERY long shot is Rabbit Syphillis which can cause a dermatitis WITH the nasal cavity. Although external lessions on the nose/genitals are usually present too. If Dobbin has had any PENICILLIN then Syphilis can probabaly be excluded as it should respond to Penicillin.

As Dobbin is so active and happy within himself he cant be feeling poorly. That has to be good.

Janex

Gem, that is really interesting re the allergy! Alfie is on Excel and sneezes all the time!

Dobbin, not sure of your buns background but i do recommend a nasal swab, is your vet rabbit savvy?

I have had Alfie for a year and he seezes alot and white puss comes out of one nostral and a bit on the other. He has never been ill from this, always bright and bubbly eats well etc.

He had a nasel swab that came back as an insignificant bacteria. No antibiotics did anything inc. Septrin which is suppose to be really good for this. My vet Christabel and I both agreed not to contnue with any antibiotics as it doesn't do anything and as he seems very healthy otherwise she wasn't overly cncerned.

If your bun has difficulty breathing some people use vics on a bit of tissue and put it by the cage/hutch which can really help. x

Alfie also was neatured whilst being a snotty boy and recovered really well.

try not to worry - i know its hard.

Aww poor Dobbin :( Don't worry, you don't sound stupid at all! You just care lots for your lovely little bun :D

Really hope he's feeling better soon, sending lots of get well vibes xx

Snuffles often can not be cured, only held in containment. He may need constant antibiotics :? Or you may decide the symptoms are not serious enough to warrant that - but then there is the risk of it spreading further :? It is such a shame that rabbits have such weak respiratory systems :cry:
I have 4 snuffle buns here at present. One of them seems to have resistance to just about all the antibiotics, although oxytetracycline is keeping it at bay enough to give him quality of life. He is being neutered on Friday, which is scary, but the vet says it obviously isn't going to go away so at some point we are going to have to risk it. She is going to take extra precautions like letting him breathe pure oxygen for a few minutes before she starts to fully oxygenate his blood and give him the best chance.
One old bun has developed resistance to baytril and penicillin jabs after their working for two years :( Now we are trying the oxytet on her but it doesn't seem to agree with her and she has become subdued :cry:
Snuffles sounds so inoxuous but it is a wicked thing for rabbits :cry:

im going to try Alfie and Holly on Science Selective - one pet shop near me stocks it, although there is snot too so that cant be an allergy??

Dobbin is on Pets at home pellets - cos that is what was adviced to buy and i brought a huge bag of it when i got him!!

We have ruled out - as far was we can - a dust allergy. He is seeing the vets tonigt so hopefully i will know better than! Touch wood we seem to be mucus free at the moment and we are just doing the odd little sneeze!

I hope my bun is ok. I would like to get him done so that i canb get hima friend soon, but obvoiuosly his health comes first.

sue
xx

Back