• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vet says Gorgeous should be dead!

raven_guest

Mama Doe
FINALLY got them to take an xray! Apparently his xray shows pockets of gas that are stopping the food from getting through so he's not pooping. The vet is getting another vet to take a look at the xray as he's a bit of a miracle at the moment. Any bun that was half as bad as G's xray would be on deaths door, but Gorgeous is apparently pinging around his cage and being very lively and happy! So the vet's a bit in awe lol.
They've stopped the drip, giving him sub cut fluids, metachloride (?) pro biotics, a little cc and they might be giving him some liqui parafin to lubricate his guts as they can't do surgery on intestines as they're so papery thin. So I'm kinda releaved and kinda not. I just hope he gets over it soon, surely if he's this lively he's fighting it well?

Hi there,

I'm so sorry to hear Gorgeous is ill, it's not nice to hear your vet say something like that, even if she does seem "bouncy".

This might sound a bit lame and obvious, but have you or the vet tried doses of Infacol and tummy rubs? It can help the bun pass the gas if you lift up their back end slightly and rub their tummy gently. I have also heard that putting a vibrating massager on their tum can also help pass the gas...

Gemma

Exercise is good for buns with GI stasis/ bloat, it can help the GI system move.

So the fact he's active is good, not just because it shows he's happier but because it will hopefully help him get better. Does he have a lot of room to run about if he chooses to?

There's a bit about it here: http://www.planet-pets.com/newsarticles/rabbit_bloating.htm

I hope Gorgeous's condition improves soon.

Kate & Jack xx

I thought bloat, but the vet says even though he's full of gas, he doesn't feel like it! I haven't seen him for about 4 days and I'm missing him like heck. The vet said his guts have shut down and he's in illius(sp?) so he still has a long way to go. I just hope that after all this he'll get better.

Me too, my bank account can't cope with much more!
£50 xray, £60 bloodwork, £100 for appointments and medicine before he was admitted and £12 a day hospitalisation for 5 days (so far!) thank god I got that job!

The vet says they are trying him on some medication which doesn't exist anymore, one of the vets stockpiled it when it went out of production as it wasn't profitable. They say G will be the last ever rabbit to use it! He's still going on about the bleeping xray. I'm going to ask for it just so he shuts up!

raven_guest said:
The vet says they are trying him on some medication which doesn't exist anymore, one of the vets stockpiled it when it went out of production as it wasn't profitable. They say G will be the last ever rabbit to use it! He's still going on about the bleeping xray. I'm going to ask for it just so he shuts up!

That will be cisipride or Prepulsid (brand name) - I finally binned my stock of it when Zeus died as it was three years old by then but it was the only thing that got him through his two boughts of stasis and I didn't want to risk not being able to get hold of any if he had it again.

It is a gut motility drug similar to the one Gorgeous is on currently but it works on a different part of the gut and was (is) the best drug for stasis in rabbits. Unfortunately when it was banned for human use in the UK vets were unable to get the drug anymore, although some stockpiled it as soon as they heard it would become unavailable. It is still available in the USA as far as I am aware. The company that makes it says there is no profit in continuing to supply it for rabbit use :( .

Caz

That's the one! Thank god he had some left if it's that good! It's a shame it wasn't profitable as I've heard so many good things about it.

Caz said:
raven_guest said:

That will be cisipride or Prepulsid (brand name) - I finally binned my stock of it when Zeus died as it was three years old by then but it was the only thing that got him through his two boughts of stasis and I didn't want to risk not being able to get hold of any if he had it again.

It is a gut motility drug similar to the one Gorgeous is on currently but it works on a different part of the gut and was (is) the best drug for stasis in rabbits. Unfortunately when it was banned for human use in the UK vets were unable to get the drug anymore, although some stockpiled it as soon as they heard it would become unavailable. It is still available in the USA as far as I am aware. The company that makes it says there is no profit in continuing to supply it for rabbit use :( .

Caz

It was withdrawn from the UK because of adverse reactions in Humans. Now UK Vets are trying to get a Veterinary licence for it. It also works very well for Cats. Metoclopromide works on the BRAIN and its control of gut motility. Cisipride works directly on the guts.
Hopefully a Veterinary licence will be obtained.......

Janex

Back