• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

picked up an injured wild bun

Nicola C

Mama Doe
Hi all,
What a bad morning I have just had :( I was just otside work when I saw an injured bun on the side of the road. It was really upsetting, he had blood on his nose and one eye was almost shut and he was weezing quite a bit. I wrapped him up in my t'shirt, put him into a box and drove him to the rspca in burton. The women were really nice there and wrapped him in a towel and made him a hot water bottle and I am going to phone in a bit to see if he is doing ok. It was so upsetting, I felt really sad, escpecially when I found many people had driven straight passed and left him there, not good. Also, everyone at work today seems to think I was being silly and I shouldn't have gone to so much trouble. I'm really cross :evil: , I was glad I thought I had done the right thing. Poor bun. He looked so scared :(
I will let you know how he gets on, I feel so sad and worried for him and I feel cross other people don't have enough respect for rabbits like we all do.
Nicola x

Nicola be very very careful, bleeding from his nose and eye could be VHD, you can carry it on anything to anywhere, nothing can kill it! If it is VHD then i hope your buns are vaccinated.

Hey Phill,
Thanks for that, I don't know that. Luckily my buns are vaccinated. I think this bun had been hit by a car :( Thanks for letting me know about that though. I will throw the t'shirt and box out at work. I didn't touch him with anything else, so hope it will be ok. Poor bun :(
Nicola x

Awww poor bun, if not VHD then it's highly likely to be myxi - which could explain why he was hit by a car as they tend to go blind. If they need to put the little bun to sleep at least it will be over painlessly rather than suffering out in the wild for any longer :cry: Well done for taking him somewhere safe!

Yeah, that what I thought, poor little thing. I didn't think he had myxi though. He looked really healthy despite the boody nose. He eyes weren't swollen at all and his coat was lovely. I am really hoping he was just a bit stunned and will come round ok, fingers crossed.
Nicola x

Awww Nicola, what a caring thing to do. Lucky bun to have been found by you in his time of need. He's getting the treatment and care now that he so badly needs, rather than just being left to die at the side of a road.

You did the right thing.

I have phoned up and they said he is sitting up and looking quite alert. Fingers crossed for him!!! I am going to call again in the morning. Will keep you posted.
I wonder if people like us are born with an extra gene to be obsessed by everything rabbit!!! :lol:
Nicola x

I would say it was an Extra Caring Gene and that is definately not a bad thing, just a shame more people don't have it.

When I was about 14 I was sat in school one morning and this moth was trapped in the classroom. The lads in the class were trying to squash it and I was shouting at them to stop and to just open the window and let it out. They killed it and I burst into tears! The fact that I shouted at them and cried in class was very out of character as I was very quiet and kept myself to myself at school, but the plight of that little moth upset me so much I was able to come out my shell. I think I was definatly born with a big soppy and sometimes embarrasing caring gene!!

When the teacher came he commended by effort to save the moth and told the boys off - hahaha :evil:

Oh Nicola just seen this you poor thing you must be so worried and poor poor little bunny.I'm really glad it was you who found him :D fingers crossed he gets better.We went to the Burton RSPCA before we got our girls and they were lovely there so I'm sure he'll be well looked after.Take care love to Mia and Mea xx

Awww poor little bun :(
So glad he seems to be doing better now... and a big well done for rescuing him!! :D :D

Wll done you :). I hope the rabbit is ok

jay said:
When I was about 14 I was sat in school one morning and this moth was trapped in the classroom. The lads in the class were trying to squash it and I was shouting at them to stop and to just open the window and let it out. They killed it and I burst into tears! The fact that I shouted at them and cried in class was very out of character as I was very quiet and kept myself to myself at school, but the plight of that little moth upset me so much I was able to come out my shell. I think I was definatly born with a big soppy and sometimes embarrasing caring gene!!

When the teacher came he commended by effort to save the moth and told the boys off - hahaha :evil:

Awww bless you. I'm exactly the same though. We have slugs in our kitchen (eew lol), and I won't let anyone kill them :lol: . I put them outside... obviously they come back in but :lol: I can't bring myself to kill anything.

Oh I'm so sorry :( at least you did all you could and he passed knowing someone cared enough to try

Oh Nicola, Im really sorry. That's very sad. But at least you gave him a chance that's more than anyone else did... binky free little bun. :cry:

Back