• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much does neutering help with litter training?

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
...for males and females?

Has anyone noticed a marked difference in 'tidyness' after spaying/neutering?

Are some buns impossible to litter train, even after neutering??

I've found YOUTH is the thing. If taught early, they seem to continue using a tray, with a brief hormonal spell when they hit their teenage probs, but Alex, my NZ white, is at least 2.5 years old, & despite being neutered, is an absolute nightmare! He uses my shoes :lol:

Most of my others calmed down after neutering/spaying. Smirnoff became fantastic - though to be fair I only had 2 buns then, so they got a lot more of my time :oops: In the Bunny Room, I leave them to it. I only try & enforce litter tray use in the rest of the house. Polly & Alfie are the tidiest buns I know. Polly - before & after her spay. When i get my oak floor in my living room (Ok, just a dream at present! :lol: ) - Polly & Alfie are only ones allowed on it!! :lol:

I had all my buns neutered as young as poss and some were already neutered. However with Bambi she was pooping everywhere until I had her speyed and now she never does it so my answer is it helps LOADS :D

My neuterred buck got no better after being done, but I htink it was because I had several boys that I rotated in the runs etc so they'd all spray to cover each others smell! He actually got worse behavior wise! I wasn;t impressed lol.

I found that my boy got much better after being neutered - before he was a complete wild-peeing monster.

Having said that, I got Frida at 9 weeks and she was trained within 2 days - but i suppose that could change when she reaches the hormonal stage soon!

I guess age is a factor as my old bunny isnt too great at using her tray - she's not had one for long- but i think its a territorial thing with her.

My other bun is neutered and she is very good with her tray so i think if you have your bunnies neutered and they are youngish things would improve.

thanks, thats interesting.

Unfortunately Audrey is already about 2.5 and a poo machine, so perhaps it wont make any difference with her?!
I planned on getting her neutered eventually, but for now i would like her to live as a house bunn...so am thinking sooner rather than later so my boyfriend wont have too many tantrums about her mess!

We got Betty (RIP) when she was 2 and she'd only just been neutered. She was no problem at all to litter train - I dont think 2 1/2 is too old to start.

My old bunny is 6 or 7 so i think she's just too set in her ways.

sarahbarnsley said:
We got Betty (RIP) when she was 2 and she'd only just been neutered. She was no problem at all to litter train - I dont think 2 1/2 is too old to start.

My old bunny is 6 or 7 so i think she's just too set in her ways.

thanks for that. Shes having her myxi jab next monday, so i'll have a chat to the vet about having her neutered soon, think she may be too overweight at the moment.

mandy said:
Angie65 said:
Get ya bloke neutered!! That'll stop his complaining :lol:

:lol: I like that idea! Might help with 'erm' other behaviour too :lol:

Might not :lol: Getting Alex-Bun neutered didn't stop him "loving" my shoes either :lol:

My 7 rabbits all use the patio for scent marking, as they can smell each other's 'deposits' there - it's a giant toilet :roll:

However in their living accomodation they are litter trained very very well, although some poops get kicked out of the tray when they jump out. None of the girls are spayed, all were aged about one or 2 when I got them and had never used a tray before - they took to it straight away as the trays are big, underbed boxes, with higher sides than cat litter trays, and all their hay is served in their trays, at one end of the tray so it doesn't tend to get dirty till they've sifted through it all. The 4 girls in the shed eat every bit of hay if the tray is clean - they seem to sit on it the more dirty the tray gets for some reason.

The main problem I've had is them digging up their litter trays when they get hormonal, which makes a right mess for a few days :roll:

Back