• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

That thing under the chin....

Bavarian Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Stupid question: what do you call that extra fold of skin that a lot of bunnies have under their chins? Rabbit double chin? :lol: I don't know the English term for it.
Is it a sign of the rabbit being overweight or is it genetic and more common in certain breeeds? Standard Rexes seems to have it a lot, but my Dutch X had a small one, too. Is it some kind of storage area for fat, and is it more common in females?

It's called a Dewlap... I think its a "girl thing" I seem to remember someone saying that buns will pull fur from here when they're making nests..

Maybe totally wrong of course!! :?

Sue&Sooty said:
It's called a Dewlap... I think its a "girl thing" I seem to remember someone saying that buns will pull fur from here when they're making nests..

Claude my rex has one its quite big!
Im sure its a fat store,and sometimes hornmonal and can be reduced by neutering
1152.jpg

bluebunny said:
Sue&Sooty said:

1152.jpg

:roll: See I told you I probably wrong!! :lol:

By the way Claude is :love:

Sue&Sooty said:
bluebunny said:
Sue&Sooty said:

1152.jpg

:roll: See I told you I probably wrong!! :lol:

By the way Claude is :love:
:lol:
Claude says thank you
He has always had a dewlap :lol:

kayjay said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Your not the only one!! They do say that owners start to look like their pets don't they.... I'm dreading it when my ears start to grow! :shock: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just brought home two very cute soft toy bunnies from my holiday, one each for my sons. And my little boy said that I was cuddlier than that bunny! My dewlaps are closer to the waist than the chin, though. :lol:

Thanks for all your input !! Good night!

This is Snowy before she was spayed. It is a lot smaller now but I don't know if it's because she was spayed or because she has lost a bit of weight.

00ec458a.jpg

Justine xx

Ruby has a big 'ol dewlap! :lol:
Ruby.jpg

She also has 'bingo wings' from her fat days. :oops: She's actually the correct weight now but always looks a bit chubby because of her dewlap and bingo wings! :oops: :lol: :lol:

Back