• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

charlie bit me!!!!!!

anamaria

Warren Scout
Charlies hasnt been very happy about me picking her up lately, shes fine once i've got her and doesnt try and get away when im carrying her and she'll sit on my lap having cuddles with no problems. but when i actually try to get her out the hutch she runs away and thumps then goes right into the corner where it is hard for me to get her. well today she did the same and then bit me when i tried to get her out the corner :shock: :( :shock: :( i had already put alfie into the run on the grass and thought it was unfair to put him back in the hutch so i left him out and left charlie in the hutch while i had my dinner, charlie then started thumping because i hadn't put her out :? when she first started playing up i thought it was because alfie would get worked up because he is still a bit nervous which made her get worked up, but now i dont know whats wrong :? any idea what would make her suddenly be like this??? shes still friendly and comes up for a stroke when i go up to the hutch or run. :?
thanks

maybe shes having a phantom pregnancy, they are extremely common in rabbits and it causes their hormones to rage, we get some extremely stroppy rabbits in sometimes, it should pass by next week.

any other suggestions?

Hormones sound quite a likely explanation :) How old is she and is she neutered?

Tam

Is she the dominant Bunny in the relationship with Alfie? ( assuming they are bonded)
If so YOU must respect that and do EVERYTHING with her FIRST. Always handle her first.

Janex

thanks jane :) i never thought of that, i always get alfie first because hes easier, would explain why she isnt so bad when i put her back in the hutch from the run, i do her first because i know she can jump out the run when the net's not on and i dont think alfie can. i'll try doing her first tomorrow and let you know how i get on :)

just tried to put the bunnys out and went to get charlie first, she went into the corner and when i tried to pick her up she put her head down to where my hand was as if she was going to bite me again. i came away and have left them in the hutch, she wont even get into her carrier on her own anymore :( what are other signs of a phantom pregnancy? i cant see anything that looks like a nest :?

Has she had a bad experience too? I don't mean hurt intentionally or anything - just held longer than she was comfortable for or something

Angie65 said:
Has she had a bad experience too? I don't mean hurt intentionally or anything - just held longer than she was comfortable for or something

only bad experience i can think of was going to the vets to have her jabs, but that was a while ago and she seemed fine after.
i managed to pick her up today and put her in the run, it was easier because i didnt let her go into the corner. but my mum said the this morning when she went past the hutch she put her finger through the bars to give charlie a nose rub like she usually does and charlie bit her :shock: :(

Back