• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The worst sound in the world-U/D He's ok but I couldnt sleep

lucyj

Mama Doe
I bought H & H the little harnesses you get so they could get out to run around our garden (It's a communal garden and only has wire fences in2 others so it's not safe without them). The leads were awful short tho so I bought extending dogs leads from Christies as I thought this would give them a bit more freedom, but they'd still be safe.

Been on then half a dozen times and had no problem. Today though something spooked Harly and he bolted. The lead broke in half and the string came out, so he was running around with it dragging and this was obviously panicking him worse. Couldn't catch him. When I got a hold of him realised it was between his toes and wrapped round his hind leg about 3 times, he was pullin away from me and screaming, I swear it was screaming, and the look in his eyes- he was so scared. i think he thought an animal had got him or something, and it must of hurt. I feel so so so awful i thought it'd b nice for them, Im so stupid.

Gave him hugs for ages, felt his legs all over and gently checked they weren't broken, no obvious wounds and doesn't seem to be anything broken, he's putting weight on it and hopping about in run, but is limping slightly every so often and is very subdued.

I just feel terrible. I can't believe I let this happen :cry:

Aww, sometimes freak accidents happen and the only way to prevent it is to wrap them up in cottonwool but that would make for quite a boring life for them. You have to balence safety with getting exercise and enjoyment. It's the same with kids, you can stop them playing on the swings at the park incase they hurt themselves but sometimes you have to allow a little risk cos that's part of life :) I don't think you're stupid at all. Those harness leads are fine as long as you're their to watch them and you were so you were minimising any risk as much as possible and when there was a problem you were there to help. Now if you'd tied them out in the garden and gone to do some shopping then we might beat you up for it ;)

You can get horse lunging lines or even pop into a sewing shop and they do quite wide (half an inch) woven material abit like a ribon that you could use for a lead. that would be a bit chunkier though you'd have to watch they don't chew it ;)

Or the other option would be one of those fold up pens.

There is nothing worse than hearing a bunny scream, is there? When Teddy bit Poppy she let out the most piercing scream! (I've never felt so bad). That's when I decided not to try to bond them. Hope your bun is feeling better.

When we first got Gorgeous he was very very nervous, my bf tried to catch him and he somehow got his foot caught in the chicken wire of the run, he screamed, it was awful! He was fine thank god, but that noise is ingrained on my brain now.

sometimes its not the pain that makes them scream, in the wild it is also used as a defensive mechanism, it freaks the predator out, so don't always feel so terrible, as long as hes fine thats the main thing :wink:

Awww don't worry, it's not your fault... you had no idea it would happen! Hope you're feeling better now :D

Well Im pretty sure he's ok, he was limping slightly last nite, but was down ladder and in run, and is eating ok and everything. My bf fed them this moring and said he's ok 2day.

I however could not get 2 sleep last nite - might sound silly, but it really is a truly horrific noise. Every time I closed my eyes saw his eyes, and heard it. Never want 2 hear it again. It was so loud, we were in the back garden, the doors to the block were open front and back, bf was out the front washing car and heard him and came running. I do think it was fear - I think he thought an animal had caught him or something. $ those of u that havent heard a bun scream, I hope u never do. At least he's ok tho.

I heard my first a couple of weeks ago. One of the babies got bit (by her brother - i think - they were 7 weeks old :shock: ). i thought it was a child! Was very human sounding. She had stitches in her side :(
I had a day off work, but dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't been home :shock: She would've not been found for 7 hours :shock:

Back