PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a bonded pair of buns! U/D found them :)

Sue&Sooty
12-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Ok so a friend of mine lost her bun a few months ago and is now ready for another. I have convinced her to get a bonded pair :wink: from a rescue :wink: :wink:

Does anyone want to help me look for them :?: :D

She loves black bunnies :D :D but they have to be friendly, ie no biters etc and she has two cats who used to sit with her old bun so they would have to be ok with cats. :? Oh and she wants small size buns as the hutch & run she has wouldn't be big enough for big ones

So who's up for helping me find them!! :wink: :wink:

toffee
12-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Do they have to be local to you?

Gem
12-09-2006, 04:23 PM
I take it your friend is Southampton way as well?

You could try ASAP www.hants.org.uk/asap

I know they have trouble rehoming pairs :wink:

PS I'll help look through RR :wink: :lol:

toffee
12-09-2006, 04:25 PM
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=5541

:love:

Sue&Sooty
12-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Do they have to be local to you?

Not if we can arrange a bunny run!! :wink:

Sue&Sooty
12-09-2006, 04:26 PM
I take it your friend is Southampton way as well?

You could try ASAP www.hants.org.uk/asap

I know they have trouble rehoming pairs :wink:

PS I'll help look through RR :wink: :lol:

Thanks will have a look now! :D

bunnylove
12-09-2006, 04:36 PM
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=5769

what size is the hutch blizzard is a dwalf lop and storm is a gorgeouss blue uppy eard rabbit they are about 4 years old and are VERY bonded and just waiting for a loving home :D

Tamsin
12-09-2006, 04:37 PM
I know South Beds RSPCA have rehomed out of area before :) In fact possibly even more perfect sounding are these two: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=3507 who have been living happily with cats/dogs :)

I think Bracknell Rabbit Rescue have a few pairs left available.. not sure on colour tho. They've only got one pair on their site: http://www.bracknellrabbitrescue.50megs.com/photo.html

Not sure if they're still available but Bobtails (Surrey) did have a group of four black boys ;)

Sue&Sooty
12-09-2006, 04:43 PM
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=5769

what size is the hutch blizzard is a dwalf lop and storm is a gorgeouss blue uppy eard rabbit they are about 4 years old and are VERY bonded and just waiting for a loving home :D

:love: I saw them just now :love:

I'm guessing that the hutch is about 3ft6 by 3ft6 and it's the type that sits on top of a run with is the same width by I'd say 5ft longand they would have permenant access to the run. They also have a very bunny proof garden and her old bun used to spend a lot of the daytime having the run of the garden.. (She works nights so is almost always at home in the day and is like me in the fact she needs very little sleep!!)

Tamsin
12-09-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm guessing that the hutch is about 3ft6 by 3ft6 and it's the type that sits on top of a run with is the same width by I'd say 5ft longand they would have permenant access to the run.

Why to people have to have funny shaped hutches.... make my brain hurt :lol: So that's what the equivilent of 5' by 2' less 6" square?

Sue&Sooty
12-09-2006, 04:56 PM
I'm guessing that the hutch is about 3ft6 by 3ft6 and it's the type that sits on top of a run with is the same width by I'd say 5ft longand they would have permenant access to the run.

Why to people have to have funny shaped hutches.... make my brain hurt :lol: So that's what the equivilent of 5' by 2' less 6" square?

I would guess at just over 9ft floor space plus the run area :? I think :? :?

Sue&Sooty
12-09-2006, 08:46 PM
:( As much as its great looking at all the cute buns on RR it's also really sad that theres so many of them :(

BirdieBun
13-09-2006, 09:19 AM
awww good luck with your hunt I am sure there are loads that you would like your friend to home :D

janice
13-09-2006, 10:16 AM
ARC have a few black buns, there are 2 rabbits http://www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk/animals.asp?i=339 who have been with ARC for ages now. They are apparently very nice bunnies, but no one wants them :oops: We do rehome out of area as well.

These 2 were part of a thread a long time ago, they are the only ones from the thread which are still looking for a home. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9895&highlight=bobby+brian

Janice

janice
13-09-2006, 10:57 AM
There is also Sambuca http://www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk/animals.asp?i=853 and Button http://www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk/animals.asp?i=875 who are rabbits who came into ARC earlier this year as part of a group of 40 rabbits ARC rescued from a bedroom of a house, this is their original thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=16036&highlight=lionhead+rabbits

Bunnysam
13-09-2006, 12:03 PM
All those buns out there :cry:

donna-arc
13-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Just noticed that it says Sambuca hasn't been neutered - in fact she has.

We also have a pair of 15 week black sisters. They are Netherland crosses so still TINY you would think they were only 8 weeks old.

janice
13-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Just noticed that it says Sambuca hasn't been neutered - in fact she has.

We also have a pair of 15 week black sisters. They are Netherland crosses so still TINY you would think they were only 8 weeks old.

:oops: I have altered it as she was sorted out in this department what seems months ago.

Hells
13-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Sue

Have you spoken to Sue at Bursledon???

Helen
x

Sue&Sooty
13-09-2006, 03:28 PM

She doesn't want to have 'baby' bunnies.. she'd much rather give a home to some older ones who have been in a shelter for a while :D

Sue&Sooty
13-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Thank you everyone for helping with the search.. My friend is coming over tommorrow morning so I can show her all these buns :D

I'm hoping she'll like these as they've been in the Rescue for too long!
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=3507

Sue&Sooty
13-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Sue

Have you spoken to Sue at Bursledon???

Helen
x

Will give her a call... :wink:

Sue&Sooty
14-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Well I will probably be shot down for saying this but it has to be said....

I never in my wildest dreams would have thought it would be so hard to give a home to a bonded pair of rescue buns :shock: :(

My friend was willing to give a loving home to a pair of buns who had been in a rescue for too long. She wasn't bothered about colour, breed, sex, age, up or lop eared, she just wanted to give some unloved bunnies a loving home.... She has, what I would consider, a fair size hutch over run set up as well as an additional run that she was willing to utilise to make their run even bigger as well as them having frequent supervised time running free in her very bunny safe garden. I advised her that smaller buns would be better considering her hutch and she gladly took that advice. I personally have spent the last week trying to find her such a pair and was more that willing to travel to get them for her..

BUT.. the only ones I have found have either been not willing to let her home then as she has a child of 6 (they aren't even for the kids but for her), wanting a very hefty adoption fee (she was willing to pay up to £50 for the two) or umed and ahred about her hutch run set up.

She told me today that she is rather dissapointed that no-one seems willing to trust her to have two such buns and is now saying that it would be much easier and cheaper to just go and buy two from a pet shop. :( :(

Hopefully I have managed to get her not to do that but to give me a bit more time to find her some rescue buns.... :( :(

Is it normally this difficult to help out some unloved buns or am I just going about it the wrong way :(

janice
14-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Well I will probably be shot down for saying this but it has to be said....

BUT.. the only ones I have found have either been not willing to let her home then as she has a child of 6 (they aren't even for the kids but for her), wanting a very hefty adoption fee (she was willing to pay up to £50 for the two) or umed and ahred about her hutch run set up.

She told me today that she is rather dissapointed that no-one seems willing to trust her to have two such buns and is now saying that it would be much easier and cheaper to just go and buy two from a pet shop. :( :(

Hopefully I have managed to get her not to do that but to give me a bit more time to find her some rescue buns.... :( :(

Is it normally this difficult to help out some unloved buns or am I just going about it the wrong way :(

Without wanting to sound harsh, most rescues do have to ask for more than £25 for each rabbit adopted as they do have to cover some of the costs they incur. If your friend buys a rabbit from a petshop, most will charge her in excess of £25 for an unneutered and unvaccinated one. Rescues like ARC ask for a minimum of £40 donation for a neutered and vaccinated bunny with both myxie and VHD jabs included, this in no way reflects the true cost of preparing a rabbit for rehoming. Whilst getting a pair of rabbits from a pet shop may appear to be cheaper, if they are to be neutered and fully vaccinated by your friend she will find herself spending out at least 200% more on top of the pet shop price.

I dont think you and your friend are going about things the wrong way, I think that your friend has not really identified what the true cost of taking on a pair of rabbits would be.

I hope your friend rethinks around this matter to enable her to get a suitable pair of bunnies who desperately need a new home.

kayjay
14-09-2006, 05:23 PM
I think many people don't realise how costly a bun can be. I got Pippa for £10, paid another £9 for her myxi jab and £11 for the VHD. Then £70 for her spay. So that's £100 without the cost of the housing, food etc. The fee I paid Kay for MJ was well worth it to get a neutered, vaccinated, healthy and happy bunny and I also knew what his character is. In future I will always go for a rescue bunny.

However, I would think that the cost of keeping a bonded pair in rescue for possibly another 12 months would be so much that the rescue would be happy to rehome to a good home, I know I would.

Could your friend come to an arrangement to pay in two instalments maybe just to cover the costs of the spay/neuter and vaccinations?

Sue&Sooty
14-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Both her and I are fully aware of the cost of caring for rabbits and the cost of neutering, jabs etc.. I have 4 and up until a few months ago she also had a bun who she had neutered and vaccinated etc her bun also had teeth problems and had to got to the vets every few months to have them sorted.
I fully understand why rescues need to charge what they do in adoption fees, I just thought that seeing as though she was wanting to take on some who were proving difficult to home that there could be some flexibility.. One rescue that I contacted would have been more than happy to acept £50 for a pair of 'long termers' if only she had some.. the only pair that she has at the moment have someone going to see them on Saturday

I now resuces do a wonderful job and I'm not knocking them for what they charge for adoption.. I just never thought it would be so hard to find some rabbits :(

Spacegirl
14-09-2006, 06:36 PM
I have to agree that £50 for a pair isn't really much. I see what your saying but I guess the problem os that if they don't recoup a decent amount of their costs then when the next rabbits come in to fill those places then there will be even less money to cover THEIR nuetering/vaxing etc etc.
I do know of rescue centres that would rehome to your friend under her current circumstances and would accept less mony, but those are also the ones where the rabbits wouldn't be fully vacinated and not neccesarily even nuetered.
I really think that if you want to get some rescue rabbits then you have to be prepared for a sizeable cost. If you want to go into the nearest petshop then think twice about whether or not a rabbit is rally for you. Sorry if that sounds harsh - but just MHO

lucyj
14-09-2006, 06:39 PM
When I decided to get buns I too made the decision that i'd rather take from a rescue, but couldn't find a rescue anywhere in my area! Did searches on internet and nothing, came across one, but it must be shut down as emailed and phoned several times and got no reply.

In the end I saw a n advert in the paper for dutch bunnies and I ended up buying them (£3 each but Ive more than made up for this with the amount ben spent on then :lol: ) . Wasn't from what I'd class as a breeder - was a lady with 2 pet buns who just let them breed, but now I' m on here I know this can be just as bad for mum bun.

Now that I'm on this forum and been on RR I've came across P.A.W.S.S. in Aberdeen, but was surprised that it didn't come up when I'd searched.

Perhaps when I've finished uni and have a big house I should start a rescue and all you guys that are crammed out down there can do bunny runs up here to my rescue ...... :D

Sue&Sooty
14-09-2006, 06:41 PM
I have to agree that £50 for a pair isn't really much. I see what your saying but I guess the problem os that if they don't recoup a decent amount of their costs then when the next rabbits come in to fill those places then there will be even less money to cover THEIR nuetering/vaxing etc etc.
I do know of rescue centres that would rehome to your friend under her current circumstances and would accept less mony, but those are also the ones where the rabbits wouldn't be fully vacinated and not neccesarily even nuetered.
I really think that if you want to get some rescue rabbits then you have to be prepared for a sizeable cost. If you want to go into the nearest petshop then think twice about whether or not a rabbit is rally for you. Sorry if that sounds harsh - but just MHO

But thats the whole point... She doesn't really want to do that :? but we are having real trouble finding some bunnies for her.... she really misses her Mr Messy bun that sadly died and he was a rescue bun that she paid £25 for from a rescue.... it's such a shame cos the buns will live a life lo luxury at her house :?

woodstock
14-09-2006, 06:55 PM
hmmm... well, i've got one pet shop bun, and one rescue bun now.

Tuesday came from a rescue and cost 38 pounds. He'd been there for a while, and 40 pounds probably doesn't even come close to the amount spent on him in that time. I was happy to pay that (and might even try and raise some more cash for the rescue with a car boot sale)

BUT...
I can imagine that there are some people out there who aren't in a position to stump up 80 pounds on 2 buns when that money could go into a vets bill kitty.
Should they be prevented from owning buns?
I know the arguement about needing to have enough money to pay for buns, and vets bill can be hefty, but then again, some people can't 'waste' money buying a bun, but would find the money if there was a vets bill to pay (If you see what i mean).

And 50 quid is still 50 quid

it's a toughie

beckiboo186
14-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Aww, Just because she don't want to pay 50 pounds for a rescue(s), doesn't mean she's a bad owner. Has she looked in free-ads or something? :) X

Sue&Sooty
14-09-2006, 07:18 PM
hmmm... well, i've got one pet shop bun, and one rescue bun now.

Tuesday came from a rescue and cost 38 pounds. He'd been there for a while, and 40 pounds probably doesn't even come close to the amount spent on him in that time. I was happy to pay that (and might even try and raise some more cash for the rescue with a car boot sale)

BUT...
I can imagine that there are some people out there who aren't in a position to stump up 80 pounds on 2 buns when that money could go into a vets bill kitty.
Should they be prevented from owning buns?
I know the arguement about needing to have enough money to pay for buns, and vets bill can be hefty, but then again, some people can't 'waste' money buying a bun, but would find the money if there was a vets bill to pay (If you see what i mean).

And 50 quid is still 50 quid
it's a toughie

My point exactly... her husband has said that she can spend no more than £50 getting her rabbits.... ok so I hear some people saying "but what if the bun needs expensive treatment in the future?" Well her hubby is the type who will put a limit on the spending before she gets the buns but once shes got them he will also fall in love with them and won't put any monetry limit if they're ill.

Sue&Sooty
14-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Aww, Just because she don't want to pay 50 pounds for a rescue(s), doesn't mean she's a bad owner. Has she looked in free-ads or something? :) X

Thanks for understanding Beckie :D And yes the free ads is another option I'm looking at now. Shame cos she really wanted to give some 'rescue long termers' a forever home

Spacegirl
14-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Has she talked through all the costs that will have been SAVED by getting a rescue to her husband? VAX and nuetering costs me around about the £100 mark where I am so maybe she can persuade him that its actually a bargain if she has to pay £80 for two?? :D

Azraelm
14-09-2006, 07:36 PM
But paying over £50 isnt about proving the person can take care of them and afford vets bills...it is so the rescue can recoupe SOME of the money involved in their care- if they gave them away for less all the time then how would they continue to help other bunns?

Not having a go though Sue&Sooty, it sounds as though she'll take very good care of any bunns, and i must admit I actually couldnt believe the cost of adopting myself when first looking for a rescue bunn- because I didnt fully understand the costs of neutering and vaccinating...and their general care.

I'm sure she'll find some lovely bunns, does it have to be within your area?? x

Sue&Sooty
14-09-2006, 08:07 PM
I fully understand why they charge the adoption fee. I used to work in An animal shelter that used to have cats, dogs, rabbits, ducks, geese, goats, birds, sheep, horses etc etc so I do know the resons that they need to claw back some of the expenses to ensure that they can continue to take in these animals. I just feel that there is a huge amount of people out there who would be put off of getting a rescue rabbit due to the initial costs.

kayjay
14-09-2006, 08:15 PM
I agree with you Sue. A few people in my village have recently bought rabbits from petshops and when they start complaining about their behaviour, you know, being aggressive, territorial etc I've told them about getting them neutered/spayed and they look at me like I'm mad. Unfortunately the public need a lot more education about rabbits and need to view them like a dog or cat. Then maybe they'll part with the money that after all if you were buying a cat or dog you take for granted like neutering and vaccinations.

I can see your friend doesn't come into that category and I think it's a great shame that there is someone who will offer a good home, and all these buns in rescues up and down the country and she can't get a pair. Ridiculous really when you think about it. And if she thinks sod it and goes to a pet shop or breeder (you can't blame her) the demand is met and more rabbits are bred. A vicious circle isn't it? Maybe it's the vets fees we should be complaining about rather than the rescues as they need to cover their costs, and the vets get richer don't they?

raine
14-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Sue, have you seen Molly and Peter (medium lops). They are gorgeous and they just ask for a donation. I can't transfer pictures as I am useless.

Sue&Sooty
14-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Sue, have you seen Molly and Peter (medium lops). They are gorgeous and they just ask for a donation. I can't transfer pictures as I am useless.

They need to be small buns due to the size of the housing that she's got :?

Such a shame all these buns don't have homes to call their own :(

raine
14-09-2006, 08:48 PM
The look small but the owner has put them under medium. One looks like a tiny lionhead. They are lovely.

beckiboo186
14-09-2006, 08:49 PM
The look small but the owner has put them under medium. One looks like a tiny lionhead. They are lovely.

Is Peter a black and white one? :oops: I'm just guessing, mY comps playing up so much atm, i cant risk looking :roll: :lol: X

Azraelm
14-09-2006, 08:50 PM

They need to be small buns due to the size of the housing that she's got :?

Such a shame all these buns don't have homes to call their own :(

Sue have you had a look at any of the kirkby pet welfare ones?
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search.asp?RabAge=LIKE+%27%25%27&RabSex=%25&RabBond=%25&County=Nottinghamshire&Submit=++Search++

I am going over saturday so could see if they have any small breeds if those on the site arent any good (which they are bound to as so many are coming in all the time). Last time I was there they had a few netherland dwarfs- not bonded, but could be :)

Might be a bit far tho? Its nottinghamshire.
How big is the hutch?

raine
14-09-2006, 08:55 PM
Yes beck, he is black and white.

Sue&Sooty
14-09-2006, 08:56 PM
I will speak to friend tommorrow on the school run

Nottingham is a fair distance though.....

I'm kinda hoping that the ones at my local shelter will still be there after the weekend as it would be much easier to get ones nearby... I have also found a pair on the Free ads.. Free to Good Home :roll: Neutered & vacc brother and sister

Azraelm
14-09-2006, 08:59 PM

I'm kinda hoping that the ones at my local shelter will still be there after the weekend as it would be much easier to get ones nearby... I have also found a pair on the Free ads.. Free to Good Home :roll: Neutered & vacc brother and sister

are they the ones 'with a famous owner?' :lol:

Sue&Sooty
14-09-2006, 09:04 PM

Yep! Wonder who it could be :lol:

Azraelm
14-09-2006, 09:08 PM

You'll have to get them now to find out :lol:
They seem perfect?! Look pretty small...maybe dutch crosses?

And...your friend can tell hubby they cost exactly £50 and pocket the money! :lol:

Sue&Sooty
14-09-2006, 09:11 PM

You'll have to get them now to find out :lol:
They seem perfect?! Look pretty small...maybe dutch crosses?

And...your friend can tell hubby they cost exactly £50 and pocket the money! :lol:

:lol: :lol: Great idea! We could have a night out!

Snowy
14-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Who's the famous owner?? :? :?

Sue&Sooty
14-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Will have to find out won't I :wink:

lucyj
14-09-2006, 11:25 PM
I totally agree the public need to be better advised on rabbit care, as if I had of found a rescue and they'd have asked for a lot of money, I'd have been a bit taken aback - but knowing what I know now I'd think it was doing a good deed and getting a bargain :lol:

When I bought my 2 I asked for 2 girls (as I had been told that was the best pairing to have as they wouldn't need neutered....... :roll: ), then when found out 2 boys had 2 pay £100 to get neutered, plus £60 so far on vaccinations. Also, with having to keep them apart after operation i had to buy materials for my bf to build a temporary hutch, and went through twice as much bedding for 7 weeks, before going through re-bonding them together and not even knowing if it'd work. Since then have learned that would have been more costly if 2 girls as still nd 2 neuter cuz of cancer etc, so I definatly would go to a resuce if was going to take again (not that Im knocking your friend - i just think on the whole it is a more cost effective option). If it was me I'd use the shoe trick on hubby - (no matter how much they really cost, they were always "a tenner in the sale" :lol: ) so jst put aside a little extra yourself, and tell him they were £50.

Diddeen
15-09-2006, 09:19 AM
Hi Sue
I understand what your friend is saying about her husband not letting her spend anymore on purchasing her bunnies.. but does he know how much it costs to neuter/spay them once they have them? They wont be able to be put together straight away if not so would need two hutches/cages until they have had ops should they come from petshop/free ads un-neutered. I think i paid £40 for Fifi but she was already spayed for me. When i got Nala her spay cost me over £60... if she pays £50 for two rabbits from a petshop then it will end up costing her well over £100 to buy them and get them both neutered, and thats not including the extra home to keep them separated. Im not having a go at you or your friend but maybe she could explain the saving to him if she got two from a rescue already neutered/spayed and living together :wink: I hope she finds a lovely pair to adopt soon.. there are certainly alot around :wink:

BirdieBun
15-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Awwww Sue sorry you feel so disheartened. Thing is i paid £25 for Orchid and £25 for Bino at Walsall RSPCA. They were neutered but not vaccs. Now I think where the problem comes is when you are prepared to travel vets prices around the country differ so much. So to rescue from a place in London would probs cost more than a Midlands rescue.
I think vets fees should be standard across the country.

Have you tried Kirby rescue? They are not promoted very much I know Tree tries to promote them as they dont really advertise? There are sooooooo many buns that have been there for ages I understand :(

Good luck and I can see your friends point but I also think the difference in prices around the country causes this problem too :?

Sue&Sooty
17-09-2006, 08:14 AM
Haven't quite solved the problem but we're off to pick up a free ads bun on Monday. Will get her a friend later

Big thank you to everyone who PM'd me and all those who tried to help.

Sue&Sooty
17-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Scrap the last post!! :D :D :D We are off to Sue at Bracknell Rabbit Rescue tommorrow now to give her last pair of buns a forever home!!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Spacegirl
17-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Cool!!!

Nicola C
17-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Excellent news!!! :D Well done Sue, bet it was all quite stressful for you.
Nicola x

Sue&Sooty
17-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Excellent news!!! :D Well done Sue, bet it was all quite stressful for you.
Nicola x

Stressful! Yep! I was also getting very disheartened too.. I just wanted to find two homeless buns and give them a wonderful loving forever home.... I never dreamt it would be as hard as it was!

Still I'm off to Sue at Bracknell tomorrow to pick up her last remaining buns from her rescue so that she can move without worring about them and get her rescue set back up again soon!

BirdieBun
18-09-2006, 07:44 AM
ooooooooooooooh what are they like??????? :D

Sue&Sooty
18-09-2006, 04:53 PM
ooooooooooooooh what are they like??????? :D

A black up eared rex cross called Kanga who is very friendly and a browny/tan/salmony coloured lop eared girly called Sally who is a little more timid.

Jayney
18-09-2006, 05:39 PM
yay well done