• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hay hay hay what hay or forage?

mine love oxbow hay's ( especailly orchard grass hay) and the hay experts orchard timothy hay. They also like the new herbal hay from bunnybasics :D

it depends on what you are looking for

For speciality hay's and hay derived products I would say us. Other wise it all depends on how much you want to spend. SPH is reliable and has a good selection of Oxbow and PF4P products.

Best bet if you want bulk Value is to buy by the bale. Most farms will do a bale for a few quid but quality can change from day to day.

ok. bunny basics i have a question and anyone else ho wants to answer it, is readigrass suitable to feed to buns everyday???

I'd say as a replacement to hay - no, but as a supplement - maybe.

Readigrass is higher in protein than hay so hay is preferable to form the bulk of the diet as adult buns should have high fibre but lower protein.

But if you have a bun who won't eat much hay, then dried grass is fine to mix with it or supplement it - you just have to be careful that it doesn't give your bun a sticky bum, as the higher protein content can do that to some buns.

Timothy hay can be fed unlimited (if your pocket stretches that deep!) It's one of the best ones for adult rabbits as it's high fibre, low protein, low calcium, and lovely and coarse so it's great for keeping their teeth worn down. I feed a good handful of timothy hay (2 different types and also a little of oat hay/orchard grass/brome hay too) to each pair every day, along with unlimited meadow hay. Much as I'd love to feed them unlimited Timmy hay, it's just too expensive and they are all good grazers and hay eaters so it's not too much of a problem. The only hay you shouldn't routinely feed lots of is alfalfa hay - it's fine for babies but is high protein and calcium so should only be fed to adults as a treat.

Protein levels are higher, as its mainly for working horses. But as a supplement its ok. We use it once in a while as a change for our buns. Same goes for Alfalfa really.

Hay's like Timothy, Brome, etc can be fed constantly.

Back