• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor bunny and piggie in my area :( - UPDATE

toffee

Mama Doe
I went for a walk on Sunday and spotted a pile of hutches at the side of the street so I went to have a look. In one of them (about 4 ft) was a little dutch bunny and a little ginger piggie :love: .

The piggie looked quite cheery but the bun looks like he may have a problem with his eye - fur looked sticky :( .

They had a bit of sawdust and 2 bowls of mix. No hay. Poor wee things :( .

I was thinking of taking some of my bunny treats down and giving them a few - just want them to feel loved.

In my area it's not really an option to knock on owner's door - i'd probably get thumped!!

I'm going to keep an eye on them tho and if bun's eye gets worse call RSPCA.

Anyone got any other ideas??

at the side of the street??
do you mean in a garden or??

if they are on the street and not on someones property i'd take them!!
they can't be left there, poor things :(

hutches would come with me too :p

I'd talk to owner first (it might be a "busy family not noticing it" - not that I'm excusing that!), or contact RSPCA. TBH I wouldn't feed treats cos could lead to other probs if bun's digestive system not used to it. Also, manky eye can be a symptom of myxi, so careful if you touch that bun, then go home to your own.Lack of hay & manky eyes can also mean tooth probs. If it is something serious, it will go downhill pretty fast, so I'd not really hesitate if you do decide to contact owner/RSPCA

On the pavement opposite a house, My boyfriend won't let me have them - I was going to sneak out in balaclava etc and nab them but OH won't let me!!!

Angie65 said:
I'd talk to owner first (it might be a "busy family not noticing it" - not that I'm excusing that!), or contact RSPCA. TBH I wouldn't feed treats cos could lead to other probs if bun's digestive system not used to it. Also, manky eye can be a symptom of myxi, so careful if you touch that bun, then go home to your own.Lack of hay & manky eyes can also mean tooth probs. If it is something serious, it will go downhill pretty fast, so I'd not really hesitate if you do decide to contact owner/RSPCA

Thanks Angie. I'll check them on my way home tonight and then phone RSPCA if not good. Not sure which house they belong to but will try to work it out. I might just take a friend with me when I knock on the door and risk being punched.

Surely my boyfriend wouldn't notice if a hutch appeared in our garden!! :wink:

If they are on the street then maybe someone has just dumped them there? If they belonged to someone who wanted them then surely they would be kept on their own property? :? I would phone the RSPCA and ask them to see if they can go and pick them up. If they don't then someone else not so nice might :(

I went to check on these 2 last night and bumped into their owner - who was actually cleaning them out :D . It turns out he drinks in the same pub as me and I now know which house he has.

He has never had a problem with people upsetting the buns on the street (it is quite tucked away). I have given him some advice and offered to give him some hay if he needs it.

The pig is called Coco but the bun does not have a name :( so I have decided to suggest "Rupert"!! I'm going to keep an eye on them and then if there is a problem I now know who he is and can say something.

(He has said he is going to bathe Rupert's eye too - I pointed out it was sticky.)

The RSPCA phoned me last week and said that Rupert has been stolen!! Exactly the reason why I reported this guy having his rabbit hutch on the street :evil: .

Back