• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bella pictures added 12/09/2006

Ali

Warren Veteran
Me again sorry for yet more questions :oops: :oops:

Well since Bella was spayed she has been very nervous, if you go to her she just runs into the corner of the hutch, she is very hard to pick up, I cant pick her up at the moment to groom her :cry: , I have tried sitting quietly with her, and let her come to me but she just has a quick sniff then she is off again. she has even got a frightened look in her eyes :cry: :cry:

Is there anything that I could do for her I feel awful for putting her throught the op now, she has changed so much :cry: :cry:

I just want my old Bella back :cry:

IMG_4236.jpg

Aww hun. I don't know what to suggest. Smudge was the same after he was deknobbled, and got worse when I put him outside. Honey won't tolerate me touching her either. i tried to do bum checks tonight (after a bit of bribery) and got a nice kick for my efforts.
I hope she goes all soft again for you hun.

Melndan said:
Aww hun. I don't know what to suggest. Smudge was the same after he was deknobbled, and got worse when I put him outside. Honey won't tolerate me touching her either. i tried to do bum checks tonight (after a bit of bribery) and got a nice kick for my efforts.
I hope she goes all soft again for you hun.

Aw thanks Mel :love:

She sounds like how Molly was after her spay. I think the answer is time, just keep persevering, don't be afraid to pick her up if it's to do a bum check or cut nails etc. but other than that give her time and let it be on her terms - she will gradually learn to trust you.

When you do pick her up, try to make sure you do it confidently but gently i.e. without her scrabbling to get away, as I think this can make them more panicky.

Aww, don't worry, it can take quite a while for them to fully get over the op. Beany was moody with me for ages and since we've had Rade, she's not as bothered with us anymore :( I don't mind really though, as she's really happy with him :love:

My Felix was very withdrawn and as if he was in a mood with me after he was 'done' no idea whether it varys from male to female, but 6 months down the line he was better than ever :wink:

Sophie was the same chick, I used to wonder if she would ever forgive me :( But with some tlc and pampering (of course :roll: :lol: ) she was fine :D

I'm sure Bella will be fine when she has settled down again xxxx

Aliandbuns said:
She sounds like how Molly was after her spay. I think the answer is time, just keep persevering, don't be afraid to pick her up if it's to do a bum check or cut nails etc. but other than that give her time and let it be on her terms - she will gradually learn to trust you.

When you do pick her up, try to make sure you do it confidently but gently i.e. without her scrabbling to get away, as I think this can make them more panicky.

Thank you xxxxx I have only been picking her up when necessary, at the moment, I just wanted to give her a brush tonight as she has started to molt a bit, and she was thumping running off, so I just left her in the end, she was getting too stressed, so the next thing I did was just put the ramp onto the hutch and she walked out ok :? :? :? She just dosent like me anymore :cry: :cry:

Ali said:
Thank you all xxxxxx Im just wishing I hadnt put her through it now

I felt exactly the same, wondered what on earth I had done :? It took 3 trips to the vet and back to get her to drink :roll: She hated me, but soon forgave me when she started feeling better :D

Aww Ali :love: (we need a hug icon :wink: ) I'm sure she will get back to herself soon... just keep trying..

None of my 4 like being picked up but Holly is a nightmare but she is getting better at letting me stroke her and fuss over her just as long as her feet stay firmly on the ground :roll:

Sue&Sooty said:
Aww Ali :love: (we need a hug icon :wink: ) I'm sure she will get back to herself soon... just keep trying..

None of my 4 like being picked up but Holly is a nightmare but she is getting better at letting me stroke her and fuss over her just as long as her feet stay firmly on the ground :roll:

I will keep trying, im going to sit on the floor just outside the hutch tomorrow, all day if it takes that to see if she will come to me, I just need a hug I think :lol:

Aww have a hug from me :D

Don't feel guilty - it might not have been the op that's made her like this as she's only young she's bound to be changing as well, and might just not like being picked up. Has her character changed in any other way? Females are a bit stroppy aren't they?!! I have to say that Pippa's not changed since her op other than got less stroppy, but she was older and perhaps more set in her ways? Or am I talking rubbish :lol:

Keep smiling,

Ali...just give it time, she will come round I promise you, I foster and I have my own buns and all of them are the same but you made the right decision....honest you did.

What I did with all of mine was picked them up even if theydidn't want me to and held them firmly and closely, obviously not squahing them, and all the time I talk to them in a very quiet voice, telling them they are beautiful and lovely and that I love them and then after 2 or 3 minutes I put them down and at first they look back as if to say "Oh well that didn't hurt" and I am sure it builds up their confidence again and when they realise that you are not going to have them speyed everytime they will trust you again

And of course they still love you, they are just a bit confused at the moment.

But you did the right thing!!

Best of luck

kayjay said:
Aww have a hug from me :D

Don't feel guilty - it might not have been the op that's made her like this as she's only young she's bound to be changing as well, and might just not like being picked up. Has her character changed in any other way? Females are a bit stroppy aren't they?!! I have to say that Pippa's not changed since her op other than got less stroppy, but she was older and perhaps more set in her ways? Or am I talking rubbish :lol:

Keep smiling,

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww thanks for the hug :love: She would always come to the hutch door before the op, but now she just hides up, in her eeyore tunnel :( and she thumps like mad, and you can see she is frightened by her eyes :cry: :cry:

No you are not talking Rubbish. :p :p :p

Thanks Ali xxxxx

snowy said:
Ali...just give it time, she will come round I promise you, I foster and I have my own buns and all of them are the same but you made the right decision....honest you did.

What I did with all of mine was picked them up even if theydidn't want me to and held them firmly and closely, obviously not squahing them, and all the time I talk to them in a very quiet voice, telling them they are beautiful and lovely and that I love them and then after 2 or 3 minutes I put them down and at first they look back as if to say "Oh well that didn't hurt" and I am sure it builds up their confidence again and when they realise that you are not going to have them speyed everytime they will trust you again

Best of luck

Thank you I will just try what you suggested and not actually do anything to her, just hold her and talk to her, thats sound a great idea thank you
Alixxxxx

Ali said:
snowy said:

Best of luck

Thank you I will just try what you suggested and not actually do anything to her, just hold her and talk to her, thats sound a great idea thank you
Alixxxxx

It sure works with all of mine, they just need to build up that trust again, be confident for her as well, she's just a bit worried that it's going to happen again!

Good luck Ali
XX

snowy said:
Ali said:
snowy said:

Best of luck

Alixxxxx

It sure works with all of mine, they just need to build up that trust again, be confident for her as well, she's just a bit worried that it's going to happen again!

Good luck Ali
XX

Thank you I think too that I needed a bit of reasurance, thank you xxxxx

Also, Ali, once she's bonded with Benji she'll be so much happier won't she? Will you be able to try soon?

kayjay said:
Also, Ali, once she's bonded with Benji she'll be so much happier won't she? Will you be able to try soon?

Once Benji has had his VHD jab next week ,and been neutered the week after I'm going to bond them, if I do it now I will have to break the bond to take Benji to the vets so I think it would be best to wait, untill he is over his op :) so maybe in a months time :D

Back