• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does This Sound Like Arthritis?

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
Hi there,

Have just been having fun with my two in the garden and noticed that Alice's front feet turn inwards by quite a lot. I compared them to Benny's and his point forwards...

Does this sound like it could be arthritis? Alice is 7 now and I'm not entirely sure if that makes her an old bun or just a middle aged one!!!

Anyway, I'm now wondering if this could be causing her reluctance to eat from time to time...from possible pain, as well as the lack of fibre issue because of her one tooth!!

It doesn't seem to stop her from running round the garden and chasing Benny, but she is a bit slower than she used to be...

I'd appreciate hearing from any bunny mummy's that have had some experience of arthritic/old buns. We're at the vets nearly every 2 weeks for one thing or another, so I'll mention it to them as well.

Thanks! :)

Gemma

Hi Gemma

Older Buns can get a bit achey from degenerative arthritic changes ( as can us 2-foots :roll: )
The neck/spine is often a hot-spot for age related arthritis so it is possible your Bun is getting a bit of soreness now and again. I would mention it to your Vet who might recommend a trial of an anti-inflammatory medication.
It does not sound as though your older Bun is too bothered by things though!!

Janex

Hello! I am certainly not a rabbit expert compared to some on these boards and wouldn't want to say whether it sounded like arthritis or not but I am a proud owner of a pensioner bunny. My lop eared boy is just over 10 and a half years old.

On the whole he is a healthy bun but does suffer with a bit of arthritis - but it effects his back legs more than his front though. He is checked by the vet but doesn't have any treatment for it at the moment as it doesn't usually cause him any problems. Sometimes if has been asleep for a while he's wobbly when he first gets up but give him a minute and he is back up and running - though he is a lot slower than he was in his youth! My vet and the vet nurses are amazed by him - and keep asking me what I am putting in his water!

I would definatly tell your vet about it to be sure but a little arthritis has certainly not slowed my boy down!

Sabrina

Thanks for your replies!

From the sound of it, arthritis tends to affect the back legs rather than the front? Probably isn't arthritis in Alice's case due to the fact that she loves terrifying Benny! I definately will mention it to the vets though, it could just be the way she's made although I'm sure I'd have noticed after all this time...

It's good to hear that there are pensioner buns around. I never quite know if Alice is an OAP or not. Some people are amazed at her age (7) and some say she could have another few years in her yet! We just think she's a bionic bunny - she's been through so much over the past 18 months and still has fighting spirit. I'm sure that's the thing that's kept her going!! :)

Thanks again,

Gemma

AliBenMummy said:
From the sound of it, arthritis tends to affect the back legs rather than the front?

It is more common BUT arthritis in the NECK can effect the front legs :wink:

Janex

Back