• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lord Lopsley- Maybe a Health Problem Brewing..MY FAULT!!

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Lopsley has had a nasty outer ear infection for 2 weeks. It is slowly responding to treatment. But he has lost weight, infact he looks way too skinny :( After discussion with Christabel I am worming him.(He looks like a worm infested puppy; pot belly but skinny spine.
As I am literally living with my Buns it is possible to pick up a 'something wrong' long before any true symptoms develop.
I am def' in the 'something wrong' mindset at the moment.
I SO HOPE I am completely WRONG and just being neurotic. But I am worried.......

Janex

Thanks Sue and Becki.
I just hope if I can get some weight back on him he will be OK. But in the back of my mind I am thinking.....'Inbreeding'.....'Giant Buns'......'Heart Probs'
At least his Lordship seems OK in himself. Its tempting to throw STACKS of food at him but I know it has to be done gradually.

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Thanks Sue and Becki.
I just hope if I can get some weight back on him he will be OK. But in the back of my mind I am thinking.....'Inbreeding'.....'Giant Buns'......'Heart Probs'
At least his Lordship seems OK in himself. Its tempting to throw STACKS of food at him but I know it has to be done gradually.

Janex

Aww Jane. Whatever life he does have will be so fantastic. My Mum is right i think sometimes when she says, It may be possible to know a little 'too much' about bunnies. Of course, if he's poorly then you'll make him better, but just enjoy him whilst he's Ok :D :D :D XX

Thanks everyone!!
And Becki your Mum IS right. I am tempted to BIN all my Rabbit Medicine Books...... :roll:

Lord Lopsley is eating well and I just HOPE all will be ok.

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
And Becki your Mum IS right. I am tempted to BIN all my Rabbit Medicine Books...... :roll:

Aww, I wont tell her that .. She'll become bunny obsessed, and thats my game. I really think that enjoying the time you have together is so important, I didn't know Charlie was so poorly until a few months before he died, but im so so glad, the time we did have together (with me oblivious) was really fantastic, and im quite sure it could have been different if i was fussing over how hard he was playing and all the rest of it. :D X

Well his Lordship is seemingly oblivious to a 'problem' and that is the main thing.
Just want to get that weight back on him.......

Janex

In himself he is fine. Its just the weightloss that concerns me. I fear it might be my fault in that I have been under-feeding him.... :cry: And maybe that is also why he has the gunky ears :cry:
I feel TERRIBLE to think I have not fed him enough :cry:

He was having 2 LARGE bowlfuls of A+P a day, unlimitted hay, variety of Veg and grass. I guess I should have kept filling up the A+P, although the bowl was seldom empty :?

Anyway, we are changing over to a combination of SS and Rabbit Royale.
He is also getting some porridge oats, a bit of Weetabix, the same Veg and unlimited hay. Infact since the increase in dried feed he is actually eating MORE Hay too.... :?

Poor Lord Lopsley. I hope I have not caused him long term harm as he is still growing :cry: I am so furious with myself :x I dont think the A+P has enough Protein for a growing Rabbit.
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh, I am SO STUPID....... :oops: :cry:

Janex

Janex

Aw jane I'm sure you haven't harmed him, dont worry :(

Hes had much better care and food than most young bunns I'm very sure withi you....

I fed my young foster boys on a and p and i did check out whether i should be feeding something else, but the protein levels seemed no negligible that i stuck with a and p. Could you get hold of the breeder and grower pellet they do, or excel if you're still concerned.

I dont think the A+P has enough Protein for a growing Rabbit.
I am feeding my new (giant) baby (and two of my oldies) on A & P Grower and Breeder pellets... higher in protein and nutrients than the normal A & P ones. Perhaps something to think about for Lopsley? Also, if you want smaller quanitities, Oxbow do a pellet for growing rabbits too!

But to be honest, although of course you must feed enough, I think giants tend to be skinnier as babies anyway (and should be to avoid joint problems/arthritis in later life) and only really start filling out at around 18 months old.

Vera

Back