• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Angora babies.

raven_guest

Mama Doe
They're just not cute at the moment lol, but you can see the colours they're going to be! They're 5 days old now and mad as a box of frogs! They go nuts when they know you're there, yelping for food! Mum's doing a great job, but the poor thing has plucked herself so badly she has bald patches (I gave her some of her old wool to use but she ignored it!)
Here's the nest;
Picture015.jpg

This one will be Gold most likely (Like Daddy Gorgeous) It looks like I'm holding it funny, but that's because they're like lemmings! This one is HUGE!
Picture016.jpg

This one will probably be Agouti (brown/grey)It's got a pink tummy!
Picture013.jpg

This one will probably be a smoke like Mummy.
Picture012.jpg

Haa haa no! They're English! And both mum and dad are on the smaller end of the scale! I'm thinking the gold one is eating for three! I've never seen such a big baby! It's the size of a conti baby!

They're pretty bald, it;s the skin coluor you can see. The pink one is getting a little fuzzy, hence the white/gold tinge. The others are just skin. They are huge. Poor Evee having to give birth to them. Sadly one was born dead and it was the biggest! I think I may have to move house and let them have my room if they keep growing at this rate!

They are huuuuuuge! My Fidget wasn't even that big the day she opened her eyes :lol: .

They're cute in their own little way, like little moles :lol:

raven_guest said:
It looks like I'm holding it funny, but that's because they're like lemmings!

:lol: :lol: I have to agree!! I remember the first time I picked up Blue and Sweep :shock: they were like little frogs jumping all over the place!!

Can't wait to see pics of this lot as they grow!

Great to see your pics! Mine were born sat night so are a few days behind but watching yours I can see ahead! I couldn't believe how big they are! In my vast experience of rabbit babies (none! :? ) I thought they'd be about the size of a monkey nut but they're much bigger!! Does Mum mind you handling them at 5days? I had to pick one up today as it was out the nest but haven't disturbed her again since.

A monkey nut? lol

My lops and rex crosses were about 4 inches when born, you can handle 3 days after birth if you know your rabbit isn't the nervous stressy type, the earlier you handle the better really, gets them used to it :)

They do tend to have minor spaz attacks though :lol: :lol:

Mum was in a run for some of the day as it's just too hot in the hutch for her! Even when clipped she has a lot of hair. I was checking the nest over and making sure they weren't too covered. They leap about all over! So crazy!
Evee would take your hand off if you try it when she's in there, but put a cat box up to the hutch door and she's in there ditching the babies lol! She knows I check on them as she can see me doing it from the run, but when she's back in she nips over to check, then ignores them again. She's a great little mum bless her!

I read you can breed a rabbit 3 times a year for up to 5 years and thats it, i personally would never do that but everyones different, so are you a breeder then?

Never three times a year and never until the age of 5! Breeders generally only breed twice a year and until the age of three if they are still fit and well.

Evee probably won't be bred from again. I doubt I will find responsible homes for them all so they may end up staying with me, also as I very sadly think Gorgeous (the dad) may have to be pts, I thank god we had this litter when we did as I will at least have one of his kits (if not more) to remember him by. As Evee has plucked so much hair, I wouldn't risk it again as she really has hurt herself. She's a much loved pet before a breeding bun, so she'll just be a spoilt cow now lol.

Back