• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Still there!

raven_guest

Mama Doe
Jane, is there anything a vet can give a bun to help them empty their bowels? It's getting silly now! Gorgeous is still at the vets and still hasn't been to the toilet according to them. I'm getting cross now as I don't see what they can do that I can't at home!

Well if he has not poo'd for several days surely they have to consider GI obstruction.
What exploratory tests have they done? Abdominal X-ray?, bloods?
Have they ruled out other problems eg Dental, Urinary Tract, Respiratory Tract, Pain from skeletal condition such as arthritis. Thus making the GI problem a SECONDARY SYMPTOM to another illness?

I find it hard to believe that a Bun can not have poo'd AT ALL for several days yet is still ALIVE.... :?

What are they giving him med wise?

Janex

That's what I thought! Surely his dropping would be poisoning his body by now!
They're done blood work and put him under anaesthetic to do it, while there they checked his mouth thoroughly. They're said he's on a drip and they're keeping an eye on his temp as it was high when he was brought in.
I'm not sure what else has been done as I've been at work all day fri-sun and by the time I get home the vet treating him is gone and only nurses are there. My bf and parents have been dealing with the vet so can only pass on what he's said. I'm waiting for a call from him at the mo, but I think it's getting silly now!

They're not back until the end of the week :(
What could be done if it is a liver problem? Sorry If I'm grilling you but you're our bunny health guru!

raven_guest said:
They're not back until the end of the week :(
What could be done if it is a liver problem? Sorry If I'm grilling you but you're our bunny health guru!

The liver can regenerate depending on whats causing Liver Function to be abnormal. All the symptoms you describe do sound like a Liver problem is a POSSIBILITY (PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS MY UNQUALIFIED OPINION)
Has he had any more rectal bleeds? It really sounds like he does need to be hospitalised until a diagnosis is established. It is not just a question of 'getting him to poo' and TBH it sounds like he is quite poorly :cry:
I hope your Vet can give you a better idea of what is going on. As Gorgeous has a high temp, rectal bleeds, is anorexic I cant help but think VHD (which effects the liver)... :cry:
Really hope I am VERY WRONG and it is an acute infection that can be treated with antibiotics and supportive nursing care.

Janex

The vet just rang, apparently the blood work showed a very slight change in liver enzymes and the vet said that was probably caused by him not eating. He also found an increase in white blood cells. They're still nursing him with CC but he's refusing it. They're doing it on the hour every hour. They want to keep him in another 24 hours. Am I being cruel trying to fix it, would it be best to have him put to sleep?

raven_guest said:
The vet just rang, apparently the blood work showed a very slight change in liver enzymes and the vet said that was probably caused by him not eating. He also found an increase in white blood cells. They're still nursing him with CC but he's refusing it. They're doing it on the hour every hour. They want to keep him in another 24 hours. Am I being cruel trying to fix it, would it be best to have him put to sleep?

The liver enzymes are easily effected when a Bun is not eating. It happens in a matter of hours.
Viral infections can raise the WBC count (VHD is a Viral Infection :cry: )
There are lots of different white blood cells so it depends on exactly which ones are raised as to what it might mean.
Also, a rabbits WBC count varies considerably during the day, being at its highest in the late afternoon/ early evening.
If I were you I'd ask the vet outright re VHD. If he/she rules it out completely then maybe keeping Gorgeous going for another day might bring about an improvement . I assume he is on antibiotics?
If, however, the Vet feels VHD is a likely diagnosis I think if he were my Bun I would let him go now...... :cry: :cry:
Your Vet really is the best person to advise you. I am just a Bunny Mummy.
Oh dear........ :cry: :cry:

Janex

The vet said at the begining he doubted it was VHD, but I may bring it up again just to check, there's also the fact that it's not fair on any other rabbits that may be in their care to risk it.
Not sure about the antibiotics, he was on metacam and Baytril when we had him at home and I assume he's still on them both, but didn't think to ask. I'll ask all these questions tommorow, just in case it is a factor of time making a difference. Can VHD live in a rabbit for a long time? I was under the impression that it killed in about three days?

raven_guest said:
The vet said at the begining he doubted it was VHD, but I may bring it up again just to check, there's also the fact that it's not fair on any other rabbits that may be in their care to risk it.
Not sure about the antibiotics, he was on metacam and Baytril when we had him at home and I assume he's still on them both, but didn't think to ask. I'll ask all these questions tommorow, just in case it is a factor of time making a difference. Can VHD live in a rabbit for a long time? I was under the impression that it killed in about three days?

Usually it does lead to rapid death but there is a sub-acute form that leads to liver failure. This is only really a delaying of the inevitable though :cry:
On VERY rare occassions a rabbit MIGHT survive and the Liver can regenerate. This, however, is very unusual.
Alison's suggestion of your Vet contacting Bristol is a good one.
As is getting all your other Buns VHD Vaccinated......

Janex

They're done. I just don't know what to do. It could be a case of waiting, or it could be me letting him suffer longer. I'll suggest the number to the vet, thanks for that. I'll just have to try to put it politely so it doesn't sound like ;'You don't have a freaking clue, call these people!' (Though it's secretly what I'm thinking)

raven_guest said:
They're done. I just don't know what to do. It could be a case of waiting, or it could be me letting him suffer longer. I'll suggest the number to the vet, thanks for that. I'll just have to try to put it politely so it doesn't sound like ;'You don't have a freaking clue, call these people!' (Though it's secretly what I'm thinking)

I know, it is tricky but I am sure they will be open to suggestions.
What a horrible worry for you. Poor Bun.... :cry:

Janex

It just drives me nuts, he was fine! Now this. If they're unwilling to try anything I'll take him home and try some califig which has been recommended to help buns with constipation, it can't do any harm, it's better than doing nothing.

raven_guest said:
It just drives me nuts, he was fine! Now this. If they're unwilling to try anything I'll take him home and try some califig which has been recommended to help buns with constipation, it can't do any harm, it's better than doing nothing.

The trouble is that rabbits dont actually get 'constipation' as a single condition. There is usual something else going on too. As Gorgeous is febrile I really dont think taking him home and just giving Califig is a good idea. But he is your Rabbit and your decision.

Janex

I'm just clutching at straws, they're not doing anything and I feel so helpless. I'll see what the vet says tommorow, I doubt it will be good though, no change is still a bad thing even though the vet says it in a positive voice.

After calling the vets about 6 times today, he finally bothered to ring back, now talking about an xray which I mentioned yesterday!
G apparently had a bad case of diarhea(sp?)/mucus from his back end a couple of days ago which he also hadn't bothered telling me! So we're going to wait until tommorow. I'm getting annoyed as they seem really hesitant to do anything. They can't feel a blockage or swelling but will probably end up doing an xray (another £50!) which they should have done days ago and he could have been home by now!

Back