• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Colder nights

Sue&Sooty

Wise Old Thumper
I know it's not that long ago we were worried about the hot weather but now it's getting chilly in the evenings I wondered when people start covering their hutches up at night?

I'm going to get some of that silver stuff to go round the back and sides of the hutch for the winter but wondering when is the best time to do it. I worry if I put it on too early the buns will get too warm at night. :?

i plan to buy some silver stuff too

i havent started to cover up at night yet cos its still quite pleasant here, but im sure it wont be long

I put the wooden shutters on now, but not the duvet cover yet wrapped in a pond linner :lol: :lol:

IMG_3884.jpg

Sue&Sooty said:
Ali
Do you ever worry that they are in total darkness?

The shutters only go on when it is dark :?

They can see in the dark they eat their carrots :lol: :lol: :lol: they would be in the dark if they were wild bunnies :)

I want to know what i can do to my shed to make sure my two are kept warm this winter. its their first winter in the shed and i cant really afford anything too expensive as ive just bought my first home, but I have got some thick bubble wrap do you think this would suffice if i were to put some on the roof and sides??

I don't have my sheds insulated at all, my buns have lovely thick coats because they are outside all the time, and invariably they choose to sit out in their runs come sub-zero temperatures, rain, snow and gales, so they can't be that cold!! They have a snuggly hutch area within their sheds, but rarely use them to be honest!

Love the shutters Ali, lovely and secure! Had you ever thought of drilling a few holes in them to allow for some fresh air and a little light?? I must admit I'd worry about it getting a bit dark and stuffy :?

AlisonA said:
Love the shutters Ali, lovely and secure! Had you ever thought of drilling a few holes in them to allow for some fresh air and a little light?? I must admit I'd worry about it getting a bit dark and stuffy :?

There is gaps all the way around, they are not tight fitting to let the air in, and there is half inch gap at the tops of each one, so they wont suffocate :) :)

I was always told by our vet that wind and draughts are worse for rabbits than actual cold . . .?
I guess it all depend on conditions; bunnies health, how many in the hutch, where the hutch is positioned etc etc

Spacegirl said:
I was always told by our vet that wind and draughts are worse for rabbits than actual cold . . .?

Yes, that's what my vet said too. I bought Flopsy a bunny hot water bottle from the vets. :D

Gem said:
Am I the only one who doesn't cover hutches at all? :? :oops:

No, i don't cover mine up. They choose to sit in the run most of the time anyway. I have a plastic sheet for the double hutch as it gets wet if it rains heavily but I'm getting new hutches soon anyway.
I just make sure they have plenty of dry straw to snuggle up in should they need to. They have each other to keep warm as well :D

no I don't cover mine they spend most of the time hopping about in their runs. Its not that cold yet even my turtles are still out at night :lol:

I do throw old duvets over if it gets icy though!

This is her first winter outside at night in her new hutch....
She has the shutters , which go on whatever the weather - more for fox safety rather than anything...
but I am hoping boyfriend will arrive for this winter and that will be extra warmth as well ... if all else fails, I will get a snuggle safe.
hutch also gets covered with old towels and a waterproof sheet.
but generally they are furry enough to keep warmth in.

Gem said:
Am I the only one who doesn't cover hutches at all? :? :oops:

Nope! I have plastic to curb the amount of rain the bunnies get pellted wih but thats it other wise it's extra bedding! They get beautiful thick soft coats in winter and i've seen my lot sitting out in the snow!

Back