• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timothy rich hay

Aliandbuns

Mama Doe
I have been looking at buying some more timothy hay as my two bunnies have gone through 22kg of it in the last 3 months.

The last lot of timothy hay I got was Oxbow and I was very happy with the quality (and as you can tell the bunnies loved it :lol: )

I've been comparing prices and this site sells timothy rich hay at a good price if you bulk buy (£61.92 for 28kg incl p&p)...
http://www.westwaleswillows.co.uk/timothyhays.html

Has anyone bought any of this and were you and your bunnies happy with it?

Just a thought have you tried ordinary meadow hay? You can get this for about £3 for a bale (I bought my last bale in June and have about 1/4 left), by buns love it, I did by some of the excel herbage which is timothy based, and they won't touch it..

Jx

They had meadow hay before and it is much cheaper but they seem to eat a lot more of the timothy hay than they do meadow hay.

Have you looked at the bunnybasics stuff? They do a first and a second cut timothy, it's about £48 for an 18kg bale I think - so probably worth getting a small pack of each to start with, wouldn't want for them to hate it :lol: Mine won't touch the first cut, but love the second!

AlisonA said:
Have you looked at the bunnybasics stuff? They do a first and a second cut timothy, it's about £48 for an 18kg bale I think - so probably worth getting a small pack of each to start with, wouldn't want for them to hate it :lol: Mine won't touch the first cut, but love the second!

Yes I looked at that, but when you add on postage it works out at £3.11 per kilo whereas the www stuff is only £2.21 per kilo if you do a bulk buy of (4 boxes) 28kg.

Very spoilt buns :lol:
Mine just get meadow hay,£2.25 a bale it only last 3 weeks so id never afford to buy timmy hay for mine :? :lol:

bluebunny said:
Mine just get meadow hay,£2.25 a bale it only last 3 weeks so id never afford to buy timmy hay for mine :? :lol:

They are aren't they :oops: :lol: - but they have very very healthy tummies! :D

Aliandbuns said:
bluebunny said:

They are aren't they :oops: :lol: - but they have very very healthy tummies! :D
Mine do really well on theres they all have huge golden pooes :) :lol:
They do get different hays as treats sometimes

I buy from West Willows and I am very pleased with the quality, my buns loveit, I buy ordinary hay by the bale for their bedding and litter trays, but fill their ricks with Timothy hay and they really love it

Karly said:
One thing to consider is that "timothy rich" hay isn't pure timothy hay, which I find a bit decieving.

That's what I thought, which is why I asked the question about quality - I think I may just order a sample and see how the quality compares to the Oxbow.

I started a thread on prices a little while ago. basically I got some free hay from WWW (they pack their parcels with it - ingenious idea!) and I tried both my bunnies and piggies with it. all furries went absolutely mad for it! It was very green.

So I did a comparison of prices to buy in bulk, and it works out virtually the same price per kg, with WWW being slightly cheaper if you buy the amount that comes to approx 60 quid.

Back