• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

GREENFIELDS MAY CLOSE

Nix

Mama Doe
Very bad news for bunnies in Berkshire now BRR has gone!

Because of a complaint about parking from someone down the road (ONE person and NOT one of the immediate neighbours, who support the rescue wholeheartedly), Greenfields are having to apply for change of use on their property to Agricultural. Because of the council wanting a freeze on development in the area, they may well not get it and have to close down. This would leave no rescues in the Berkshire area apart from the RSPCA, who use Greenfields when their admissions centre is full and/or closed.

PLEASE HELP!

We need to emphasise the importance of the rescue and make the council aware of the real environmental impact (very little) and parking issues (which are non-existent except on the weekend of the Oxon rescue!!!).

If you could spare a few minutes, please send a letter of support to Lorna to be passed onto the council saying something like:

- The number of rabbits in rescue in the country

- That she is now the only RSPCA-approved rescue in the area, and if they close it is a death sentence to the rabbits that will have nowhere to go

- If you have contacted the centre, how you did it - in my case, most of my contact was via email rather than going there in person. Also, that you parked sensibly and there were very few people (if any) visiting at the same time as you - assuming this is true, obviously.

- The minimal environmental impact of keeping rabbits - lack of smell, noise, transmittable diseases. You may want to add that Greenfields has been inspected by the RSPCA and by their vet to DEFRA's guidelines.

- That Lorna and Jamie sought advice before moving in to make sure that they didn't have to apply for planning permission and were told verbally by the council that they didn't as the rescue deals with small animals rather than cats and dogs

- Possibly add that they have been running for a number of years without any impact on the local area as this is the first time it has been brought to the council's attention

Title your email 'Letter of Support' and send it to lorna@greenfieldsrescue.co.uk

I am sure any positive messages of support will also be of help to Lorna and Jamie at this difficult time, as they are not only dealing with this but trying to organise for the Oxon rabbits to be neutered, vacc'd, paired up and adopted as well.

Thanks folks!

Oh no what a nightmare :cry:

I have a feeling that agricultural is a lower grade land use than residential, and usually permission is granted to go 'backwards' - as technically it wouldn't be development. I'm sure someone on here is a planner, although policies vary around the country, maybe they would be able to offer a bit of advice?

I really hope there is a successful outcome to this very soon :cry:

Edit: Yes it's Hannah - see this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=13769&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30 Might be worth dropping her a pm??

Thanks Alison :thumb:

Anyone else with other suggestions, I will pass them onto Lorna too.

Could the RWA add any weight to this I wonder...... :?

Greenfields has an ad' in the latest addition of RO...... :?

I have quite a bit of contact with various bods on the committee so could certainly bring Greenfields Situation to their attention.

Janex

Yes please Jane - any weight we can get behind it I think will be helpful. The problem is that it's a planning issue for change of use of a residential house, and it could set a precedent so the concil is going to be wary - but definitely worth a try!

Nix said:
Yes please Jane - any weight we can get behind it I think will be helpful. The problem is that it's a planning issue for change of use of a residential house, and it could set a precedent so the concil is going to be wary - but definitely worth a try!

OK, will contact them tomorrow.

Janex

OK, I have sent an email to someone I know at the RWA. I've marked it as 'URGENT' so hopefully she will get back to me very soon. As long as she is not away on holiday.......

Janex

Got an email from Judith (RWA Vet) this morning. She has notified all committee members and they are hopefully 'on the case'.
They are in regular contact with Lorna too, apparently.

Janex

BRR were Bracknel Rabbit Rescue. I had no idea they were closing down :shock: , does anyone know why that happened :? .

Dorothy said:
BRR were Bracknel Rabbit Rescue. I had no idea they were closing down :shock: , does anyone know why that happened :? .

They're moving so winding down operations til after the move so they don't have too many whilst switching locations :)

Tam

Ideas for you:

1. for the next week or two record every visitor that comes by car, the time of their visit and the duration of their stay. That way you can paint an accurate picture of exactly what parking you use and at what times.

Also count cars in the street at regular times e.g. 7am, 11am, 3pm, 6pm do that over several days and the weekend so you get an accurate picture.

I imagine many of the greenfields vistors may be at time when other people are out of at work so you maybe able to show that you don't increase the overall numbers e.g. at 7am before everyone leaves for work their are 20 cars parked on the street, at 11am when everyones at work their are only 10... so greenfields can have 10 visitors without going over what the road copes with as normal.

2. Find other businesses operating in the area, wouldn't surprise me if you didn't turn up a few childminders, breeders etc. and point out that they're not causing an issue.

3. If there is a school in the area does that attract parked cars. We had a bit of an issue but got around it by pointing out that the school down the road attracts way more cars parked outside than we do and the times don't overlap.

4. I think one rescue had this issue and solved it by agreeing with the council to book apointments and not have more than two 'customers' at once. Could you agree the use of neighbours drives whilst they're at work. Is their a local carpark you can point people at instead.

5. Is greenfields a registered charity... might find diff rules apply if you aren't a business (which I know their not but they probably fall under those rules even if they're not making money) might be an avenue to persue.

Tam

I try to only have two cars arriving at anyone time as in the past I often 4 or 5 cars at a time, now I make appointments with people and so far it is working well :D neighbours have made comments which I just take in my stride! and hope that they don't turn into complaints.

Why can't we be allowed to do good without people trying to spoil it all with their pettiness!! ?

Good luck Greenfields, I hope all your problems get resolved xx

Hi Guys,
just read Nix's pm will have a look into it, strange dont normally deal with residential to agriculture but the other way round - does anyone know how long Greenfields has been a rescue for? Will email lorna when I have a better clue,

Hannah

PS if you want to impress the planners - you need to asess the whole impact of the use not just the traffic issue, also does anyone know which district council it is in

Their address is: 29 Beedon Drive, Easthampstead Grange, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 8GJ

I'm not sure how you find the district council :)

I don't know when they started but they've been going at least 2 years!

Tam

Back