• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free Ads

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a bit worried that people might be getting a little carried away with free ads :? I know everyone has the best of intentions but it might be better for these people to be pointed towards rescues and then for the rescues to assess what cases are most urgent. Otherwise the rescues are being asked to take free ad animals which although may need help their owners may be capible of finding homes themselves (perhaps with a little guidance).

If you've got space to foster then offering your time direct to rescues who'll support neutering/vet costs and rehoming might be a better way forward.

I'm not saying don't contact people to offer help/advise just make sure they're not getting all the attention because they're an obvious issue and other bunnies get over looked as the rescue then doesn't have space :(

If you follow?

This has struck a cord with me as if I see ads near me i always want to help them.....I totally understand what you mean and agree with it, but I do not think there is anything wrong with helping freead animals if you have the space...I also foster cats and rabbits already....

And I do often e-mail people directing them to rabbitrehome or a list of rescues near them. I've even rung a couple of people to do this also...

Just to ad as well: I totally understand what you mean about rescues as I'm often asking for a rescue to take an ad in I've seen, which isn't really fair.

Very good point, ive also been concerned. I know people have the best of intentions and its so sad to read but there is a bigger picture to consider unfortunately

I totally agree and have raised this issue on here in the past. I often see things on freecycle and free-ads etc. - and always contact them directing them to a list of rescue centres and offering advice. The only one I have posted on here was a piggie that was already neutered which, I thought, would be easier to rehome.

Definitely!! I was guilty myself of this - but now I PM Tree with ones I find, so she can put them on RIN. You can't help them all & Rescues need to concentrate on urgent cases. A lot of the free ad ones are breeders surplus too - not that these buns don't deserve a loving home, but really it's just encouraging back yard breeding.

AND you can find yourself with massive vets bills & 6 baby buns. Can't think of who that's happened to :shock: :oops: :lol: I'm lucky, I have enough space & can juggle my money to manage (mmm cup-a-soup :shock: :lol: ), but if me & Gaz HADN'T split up already - we would've over this :lol: :lol:

Few, I'm glad I haven't offended everyone :oops: There are so many really kind and caring people on here and it really shows through in the way everyone is ready to help :) It's just easy to get caught up in the helping sometimes :)

The cost is a good point too Angie - with a free ads rabbit you never know what you're ending up with and you won't necessarily get the truth from the person you get the bunny from. A pregnancy or something going wrong and you could end up facing a bill for several hundred pounds and no rescue for backup!

Tamsin

Tamsin said:
The cost is a good point too Angie - with a free ads rabbit you never know what you're ending up with and you won't necessarily get the truth from the person you get the bunny from. A pregnancy or something going wrong and you could end up facing a bill for several hundred pounds and no rescue for backup!

Tamsin

TBH the Rescues on here have been great - I obviously don't want to dump loads of un-neutered babies on one, but a few have offered to help me re-home or take on the odd bun as they get a space. A few individuals have too :D It's great, cos while I'm happy with the looking after, vets visits etc, I don't particularly want the responsibility of rehoming.

Just noticed this post, if anyone notices ones that I've missed on the list please direct them my way.

Totally understand what you're saying, there is a standard letter in the freead sticky in the in need section that can be sent to free ad buns. I've sent out a few myself and I've not had an awfull lot of come back, but at least it given the people food for thought. I myself haven't actually taken in a free ad bunny, but it's hard reading when I go through the list for buns to up-date the original list. Although I am guilty of posting a thread yeserday about the pregant free ad bunny without any ears :oops: .

Ome thing I have noticed though is the amount of breeders that seem to be cross breeding, are they attempting to make a new breed or are they just cross breeding, just wondering? They don't ever seem to charge for them, so I was wondering if they had tried and found it didn't work, surely if they cross breed for cross breeding sake they would charge?

Saw "Free to a good home"

I just wanted to say thanks for highlighting this.
I've seen 2 bunnies free to a good home & was so tempted to take them, after emailing the person i get the feeling something is "odd."
The advert says 1 male, 1 female yet the person doesn't know how old they are, wether they are neutered & what sex they are, her reason for rehoming is "my children nagged me for them but now don't bother with them."
I do feel so sorry for them & their hutch on the pics looks dirty but i've decided not to take them.

Niki

Back