• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone leave buns in ....?

Sue&Sooty

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone leave buns in their runs overnight?

I have attached the run to the hutch now but still think I'll put them into the hutch at night. The run is bolted to the hutch and the top is also bolted for security but don't like the idea of them being in it overnight. :?

Am I just being a big softie and worrying a bit too much? :oops:

I take the view that if it's not secure enough for them to stay in all the time, then it's not secure enough generally :wink: Foxes seem to be around during the day as well as at night time :cry: Mine are out all the time and seem to really like being outside at night. I guess if you had regular visits from foxes, or yours were scared by it, it wouldn't hurt to lock them in, or cover it over completely.

I do but they have a smaller hutch/bigger run so I wouldn't close them up in the hutch. I think your hutch is quite a bit more spacious. Do what you're comfortable with :)

Tam

well if you worry too much I don't know what that makes me (totally paranoid?) - I even covered my rabbit hutches with rugs through the heatwave, incase a fox or a cat tried to get to my bunnies :? I figure if the predators can't see them they will show less interest - and I guess the covers cut down on rabbit smell too.

plus I hope it would put kids off - the last tennants had their rabbit butchered by annoyed teenagers one night :(

I'll be putting them away just so that I can get some sleep I think :oops: otherwise I'll be awake half the night worrying!! I have never seen a fox round here but it wouldn't surprise me if they were about :?

Tamsin. Their hutch is very big and they still seem to spend most of their time snuggled up together in a heap, squashed into one corner! :roll:

I would never leave mine in a run over night, maybe its just me, but I wouldnt do it :(

We often think about leavin ours in the run overnight, but i would have to sleep downstairs just to keep an eye on them. I think they have enough room in the shed to play at night.. :) :)

The rabbits that are in the hutch/run combos at the rescue, and the ones in small hutches under my guinea runs because of overcrowding, stay out in them all night. The hutches aren't big enough to shut them in, and the runs are on slabs to prevent a fox digging its way in, and the wire is secure.

The guinea pigs that live in my aviary at home have been staying out at night too while the weather is warm as it has a top.

The ones which have open topped enclosures go in at night even though they are within high fences with wire buried underneath the ground.

I think the question is....would you rather be safe or sorry??

I know I would rather be safe as I would never forgive myself and I'm sure you would too!!

They're tucked up safe and sound in their hutch!! :wink:

The run is safe enough but as they have got a huge hutch I'd rather they were shut in at night!

Thanks for all the replies
:D

Amy has a hitch + run combo + she has access to the run all night. Her hutch is too small to shut her away in + the run lids and doors are all bolted and safe.

2 of my neighbours had their rabbits taken from the runs by a fox, and my friend had her 2 story hutch trashed by a fox and one rabbit gone :cry:

all my babies are kept behind locked doors :wink:

Mine all have attached runs with 24hour access! I'm not sure how able a fox would be to get into them but I don't think they're any less predator proof than the hutches! :? I do worry about Fudges run a bit though as his was a folding run that I've attached, not sure if that makes it less secure because it folds?

If I pop out at night they're usually all out in their runs I think they like to see whats going on!

touie said:
Mine all have attached runs with 24hour access! I'm not sure how able a fox would be to get into them but I don't think they're any less predator proof than the hutches! :? I do worry about Fudges run a bit though as his was a folding run that I've attached, not sure if that makes it less secure because it folds?

If I pop out at night they're usually all out in their runs I think they like to see whats going on!

I had someone who had a rabbit taken from a folding run as something (my guess a fox - they said a cat) pushed the end in and got under the roof. They wanted to rehome Starbuck, but I didn't like the sound of that :?

ok thanks for that I'll go and see if I can fix some wood accross the joints so they can't fold in! :shock: I never would have thought of that!

edit: seems my dad already thought of that they don't move :D

Mine have access to their run at night because my dad made the hutch and run to be totally fox proof for us so I am comfortable with leaving them out. My 45Kg dog has also "tested" the strength of the run and if he can't force his way in, no fox could.

Naughty Buster is under strict supervision around the rabbits again since his training regression!

Caz

Back