PDA

View Full Version : Some photos of molar spurs

AlisonA
09-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Hi all, I stumbled across this page here, which shows some photos of developing molar spurs. I found it really interesting, I've never seen such clear pictures before, and it makes it easy to understand why their eating habits change if they have them!

http://community.livejournal.com/bunnyowners/2841528.html

bunnylove
09-09-2006, 09:49 AM
very interesting :D :D :D

Sue&Sooty
09-09-2006, 09:50 AM
:shock: Wow they are really great pics! No wonder buns with spurs have trouble eating

Vicki
09-09-2006, 11:41 AM
I never knew or thought they would look like that! Very interesting to see!

Jack's-Jane
09-09-2006, 01:49 PM
OUCH!! :shock:
I cut my finger on a Buns molar spur once. They are VERY sharp :shock:

Thanks for posting those pics Alison :thumb:

Janex

bunnytales
09-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Thats brilliant - always did wonder what they looked like.

Thanks Alison.

Inimical Me
09-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Wow! :shock:

melaniejb
09-09-2006, 04:25 PM
That's very interesting! The vet tried to show me Albert and Poppy's when they had to go a couple of months ago but i didn't know what I was looking at!!!! :lol:

purplebumble
18-09-2006, 12:39 AM
i always thought i had a good idea of what they looked like..but i didnt did i cos i went..wow look at that!

Biffykins has just had a dental after being told she had some spurs that needed to be watched..after a week of gi stasis post losing her soulmate she needed a dental asap..and one spur had ulcerated her tongue which hadnt been sptted last 3 checkups!

ouch!

Happy Hopping
18-09-2006, 06:24 AM
Okay, I am goofy, I can't make heads or tails out of those photos.

1) what is that circular metal at the dead center of the photos?

2) what's the difference btwn. the top left vs. the top right?

3) what is that thing that looks like a metal of some sort at the bottom 2 photos?

Rallybunny
18-09-2006, 06:58 AM
Awww, never realised they looked like that, they must be really sore. :(

kayjay
18-09-2006, 07:43 AM
What causes them?

raven_guest
18-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Rabbits are insane! They seem to go out of their way to make themselves suffer! They look worse than sharks teeth! Ouchies!

naturestee
18-09-2006, 01:01 PM
Okay, I am goofy, I can't make heads or tails out of those photos.

1) what is that circular metal at the dead center of the photos?

2) what's the difference btwn. the top left vs. the top right?

3) what is that thing that looks like a metal of some sort at the bottom 2 photos?

1. Dental instruments. These pics were taken during a dental surgery.

2. Different sides of the mouth.

3. Another dental instrument.

AlisonA
18-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Yep the metal bits are the instrument that the vet is using to hold the mouth open. Both the top photos are of molar spurs (left and right side of the mouth) BEFORE the surgery - the bottom two (again, left and right) are the same teeth AFTER surgery.

Kayjay - rabbits teeth constantly grow. One of the major causes in pet rabbits is eating insufficient hay! If a rabbit is fed too much pelleted food, treats etc, these are not chewed in such a way as to grind the teeth down. Hay/grass etc, which is what a wild rabbit would eat, encourage a sideways grinding action which keeps the teeth worn down. It is the lack of grinding that causes spurs to develop - one of the reasons that so much hay in the diet is highly recommended!

Also, some buns are genetically more likely to have teeth which are slightly out of alignment (or get pushed/knocked out of alignment or move over time) - if the teeth aren't opposing each other properly, then they won't wear each other down properly, and this can also cause the spurs to grow. This is more common in dwarf and lop breeds (and especially lop-x breeds), as they have very flat faces and different shaped jaws.

Aliandbuns
18-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Ouch :(

kayjay
19-09-2006, 07:18 AM
Thanks Alison, I understand now :D Good job mine like hay then!