• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA Info Updated

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
I just noticed the RSPCA have posted new info on their site which includes:

1. Give me space! - Rabbits need as much exercise as a small dog. Their accommodation should have a sheltered sleeping area of at least 6ft x 2ft x 2ft with an attached 6ft x 3ft run to allow them to sit up straight and look around.
2. Two's company - Rabbits love living with other rabbits and shouldn't be kept alone. Neutered rabbits of opposite sexes can go together.
3. Neuter for health - Always neuter your rabbits to prevent fighting, unwanted litters and cancer in females.
4. Keep us together - Rabbits can forget their companions after a few hours. Take them to the vets together and never separate same-sex pairs.
5. One of the family - Rabbits can be house-trained and make great house pets.
6. Handle with care - Rabbits are shy and ground-living animals - they need time to develop trust with their owners before being picked up. Make sure you know how to handle them.
7. The right diet - Rabbits' teeth never stop growing, so they need to grind them down as they eat. A diet of 80-90 per cent hay is essential, with only a small quantity of pellet food and vegetables. Provide clean water in a large, drip-feed bottle.
8. Change the bed - Soiled bedding needs removing every day and the whole home should be cleaned regularly.
9. Keep an eye out for us - Rabbits are prey animals adapted to hide signs of suffering and won't cry out if something's wrong. Keep an eye on them and take them to a vet if you think they have a problem.
10. Vaccinate! - Rabbits need to be vaccinated against myxomatosis every six months and VHD once a year.

It's great this is now available on their website as alot was policies you know they had but now we can point people at in in writing :D

shame some of their smaller branches DONT work to it :roll: :roll: rember the omlet :roll: :roll: :roll:

That's a great improvement, nice and simple, and good advice. That will be useful to me too, as if I get an occasional rabbit for rehoming, I can 'back myself up' by pointing to those guidelines as my expectations :thumb:

That's great.

If you look on their site under guinea pigs it also says regarding guinea pigs...

'Companionship - to be with other guinea pigs. The widespread practice of keeping guinea pigs and rabbits together is not recommended.'

Cool.

Rabswood

Back